• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Paypal and CC Chargeback

4 posts in this topic

I just closed a dispute with paypal since I received chargeback funds through my credit card. Should I have waited to have paypal confirm the transaction before closing the dispute? My worry is paypal will see I closed the dispute and contact the credit card company stating all well on my end; recharge the amount. I'm thinking I was hasty (as Treebeard would state) and closed the dispute too quickly.

I searched but couldn't find this type of transaction, so sorry if posted already.

1st dispute with Paypal in a very long time; hopefully I go a long time before I have to do another.

Thanks!

You should never manually close a dispute with Paypal unless you have worked it out directly with the seller. In this case, it sounds like you maybe got a temporary credit from your credit card company? Unless you have documentation from your CC company stating that your chargeback has been decided in your favor, and the temporary credit you received has now become permanent, you may be in trouble.

When you close a dispute, you are stating that everything has been resolved to your satisfaction with the seller.

Always let Paypal close a dispute when it's gotten to the chargeback stage. It's quite possible, if the issue wasn't yet resolved between Paypal and your CC company, that Paypal will say you closed the dispute, and recharge you.