• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage Sword of Conan Magazines...a couple of regular Conans added,PRICE DROP

62 posts in this topic

Well then, why bag and board a bunch of books that are only readers. And before you came and took a bunch of books that you did not want you were at a total of $100.00 from the threads. Then came and took 200 or so more books. For a price of $200.00 all together. Would of not said a word, ....but

DONT PUT ME DOWN! I always said some books were not as good as others! And Joking aside, why would I give you the books so you can sell them, and make money for nothing? The CONANS you took BEFORE you saw them.....you took em from the thread!

Funny how you only mention 3% of the books you took were in bad shape.

Mary,

Once again, sorry your books didn't sell and I'm sorry you didn't make a ton of money on comics that, even if taken really good care of since the mid 70's early 80's, would not have been worth much anyway.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you over 10-12 Conan magazines. I'm keeping 99% of what I bought from you. I decided to sell the magazines. Take the remainder of your books to a LCS and see what they offer you. Even with 400-500 plus books, you are going to be insulted with an offer of $25-50. I paid you a decent price for a majority of books that are in about 2.5/3.0 condition. Once again, if you are not happy for some crazy reason and think you stand to make a better profit elsewhere with them, just let me know and I'll bring them back to you for my money.

As for why did I bag and board most of the books, even the readers? Well, so they remain at least readers and don't deteriorate further. Plus they are much easier to store that way in a filing cabinet. Any more questions?

As for 3% of the books being in bad shape, no, I mentioned three titles in particular, which numerically accounts for far more than 3% of the total books I bought from you. The Avengers (at least 40 issues), Fantastic Four (30+ issues) and Thors (about 40 issues). Once again, you want these books back? Have my money ready and I will willingly return them. You are starting to be a little bit ungratelful Mary. I didn't have to help you, I didn't have to drive out an hour and a half from my house to look over your books, and I certainly didn't have to give you a couple of hundred dollars for the books I took (which I assure you a dealer would have given you not even half of that!). Enough!

:blahblah:

Go add up the remaining books on my thread that did not sell...you got all those as well.

First you say I have books and have no idea why they are not selling, then you say you bought books that are worth nothing, and then you put them up to sell. Which one is it?

Ungrateful, I think you got a great deal and was happy to do so, and you are trying to turn a profit. Sorry I got upset, but do that to any other board member and see thier response.

Mary,

WTF? You had not such desireable books. What can I say? That is why they didn't sell here in the first place. Anything of value you had was snatched up immediately (like the Iron fist #14). What was left was low to mid-grade readers from the late 70's/early 80's. They just arent worth anything! There is no market for them. It's not my fault, and it really seems like after all this effort, you are just mad that you didn't make the mint you wanted to at first. Once again, not my fault.

At this point, I'm going to issue you a little reminder of some of the things you said to me, so if you arent happy with the price I paid for your books (a price YOU decided by the way), then this might refresh your memory;

"dont worry we still have a deal to make...the more you buy the cheaper it gets. just like a dealer...."

These are your words, not mine. I'm not going to go back and forth on here about this Mary. If you arent happy with the deal, then give me a refund. Otherwise, let it go. They are my books now, and I can do whatever I want with them. You werent "ripped off" or taken advantage of. If I decide to sell 10-12 magaizines that I have no room for in a filing cabinet, that's my decision. Ask any guy on here how much he would give you for 200+ reader copies of 70's/80's material. It won't be what I paid, I assure you.

Oh, just read your edit comment. "Do that to any other board member." Mary, books on these boards change hands constantly. I don't think a day has gone by where I havent read a sale's thread where someone is selling a book that they describe as "so and so's old copy". It's how these boards run. I think part of the fun on here is realizing that if you miss a sale, the winner might put up the book in a week or a month or at least sometime. As for turning a profit, if I wanted to do that I would have spent time grading, numbering and scanning all the books you sold me and set up a huge thread with some killer rock-bottom prices. I would have to sell almost every one, and even then, I doubt I would have "turned a profit". Let me reiterate one more time; You had 2.5/4.0 condition reader copies of bronze age books, not worth much even in high grade. There is NO market for them. They are literally everywhere for pennies. IF you think you were treated so unfairly, take your books to a LCS and see what they offer, if they even want them! I'm sorry, that's the sad truth! If your husband was a little older and these books had been Silver Age, well, you'd be in Mexico right now on your vacation.

Ask any guy on here how much he would give you for 200+ reader copies of 70's/80's material.

I'll give you fifty bucks if you incluce the Conan's, and shipping, and a freebie or two :whistle:.

Mary, trading comics has been happening since time immemorial. When a collection is puchased, it is almost always parsed out, and if the price was exorbinant, no one would buy. I thought you had a good sales thread, made some money, some friends, why let this bring you down. I think it's just a part of the hobby you don't understand.

Mary, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Matt is generally on the mark here--disappointing as it might be to hear. I've helped one of local comic shop owners with buying collections from customers who aren't avid and knowledgeable comic collectors, and the amount of offered v. the amount expected is usually pretty different. Here are a few reasons for this:

-Not every comic collector is going to buy every back issue. So, comic dealers are taking a risk in hoping someone will want to buy that particular back issue. When buying a collection (large or small), you end up tying up a lot of money on something that may end up sitting for a long while.

-The Overstreet Price Guide is the standard guide, however, it is still a guide and not terribly accurate when figuring out a price that a comic will actually sell for. This also brings to light the issue of grading a comic book. Many people less familiar with the art/science of grading a comic (as it's a little bit of both) might look at a book and think it's in really nice shape; however, collectors know that the price difference between a VF- and a NM- can be significant despite not looking too different to the untrained eye. So, between the two, people can often think they have a gold mine on their hands when they really don't--and it can be quite a let down.

--Often when buying a collection, people end up taking a lot of books they don't want so they can get the few they do want to keep as it helps the seller get rid of all the books at once. Naturally, it'd make sense to get rid of those that aren't wanted.

--And when it comes to selling books on this forum, newer members (for good or bad) often find it a little difficult as they don't have the reputation with other members, so there is a risk factor at hand as many of us have seen deals go awry. It's no mark against you personally, but it just takes time to become one of the sellers here like Nick, Nik, Brian, and others who can sell books without much difficulty.

I don't know Matt whatsoever; I can't speak to his character and don't know if he actually will keep the majority of the books he bought from you--though I hope he would if that was what he told you. And I think most members of the board would agree it would be bad form to have begged the books from you claiming to keep all of them and watch him try to sell them all off. However, if he IS only looking to sell off a couple of the books and keeps the rest, I think he'd be well within his rights. I'm sure it is disappointing, and I'm sorry; however, I am glad you were able to sell some books and hopefully those funds helped out.

:foryou:

NW, Mac Man, Thanks for coming to my defense.

Mac, what you said is pretty much dead on. Mary mentions how I couldnt believe the books werent selling, and that is mostly because I thought there was a market for anything at the right price. I didn't realize these late 70's/80's readers wouldnt sell even at 80% off guide, which is where she put them at the very end.

I never did beg her for any books. I wanted her Star Wars books right away and I took them right off the thread along with a few others. The majority I got when I drove out to her town. I never promised to keep them all and I actually entertained the idea of selling the DC's (I'm not a DC guy at all, but I do loves me some Smallville), but I held off.

We conversed via PM's for over 700 messages while I was helping her with guide values. Towards the very end she just kept on saying how sick and tired she was of doing this and she just wanted these books gone. So when I went out there, I took a lot of books I normally might not have (Detectives, Batmans, Supes, World's Finest, etc). So now that I try to sell 10-12 Magazines she freaks. Oh well. I really don't feel like I was doing anything wrong.

:grin:....what do you mean bad form to buy and sell here? Um, I think it happens on here almost every day.

Danny, thanks for your input. This sale's thread was really dead anyway, so I wasn't that bothered.

I removed my post because dwip was right. But since I have been asked. It is considered bad form to buy a book off the boards, and try and resell it here for a profit. Its kind of a slap in the face.

Yep, people tend to sell at the same price they bought for or even less.

Changing people's ID names as an insult is not great either.

I removed my post because dwip was right. But since I have been asked. It is considered bad form to buy a book off the boards, and try and resell it here for a profit. Its kind of a slap in the face.

I wholeheartedly agree. (tsk)

You guy misunderstood....RedErection and I have a short history. I made fun of his name before in a thread. I think he's cool w/ it. He knows I'm joking.

But addressing the idea of selling for the same amount you paid for it, well, I bought it as a lot. How do you figure that one out? Count the total number of books purchased, and then figure out the percentage that the books for sale entail, and then take selling price, and divide by said percentage? WTF? How's $32 sound? (shrug) Seemed a lot easier to me.

You guy misunderstood....RedErection and I have a short history. I made fun of his name before in a thread. I think he's cool w/ it. He knows I'm joking.

But addressing the idea of selling for the same amount you paid for it, well, I bought it as a lot. How do you figure that one out? Count the total number of books purchased, and then figure out the percentage that the books for sale entail, and then take selling price, and divide by said percentage? WTF? How's $32 sound? (shrug) Seemed a lot easier to me.

Simply put it should have been sold at another venue.

And I dont address the name change because I just dont care about that sort of stuff. Its stupid, slightly insulting. But I dont really care in the end

Simply put it should have been sold at another venue.

And I dont address the name change because I just dont care about that sort of stuff. Its stupid, slightly insulting. But I dont really care in the end

You got a chuckle out of the last time I did the name change, just thought you might need another. Oh well, things are tense here on the boards lately!

As for another venue, I don't sell on FeeBay, and the LCS I'm sure would not give me much if anything for them. I figured here was the best place. In the past week or so I have seen a few books come up for sale that were just recently purchased here on the boards. No one seemed to care about the turnover then? (shrug)

Bottom line since this is such a "hot topic". I don't have much room in our office for my books. I have a nice file cabinet I keep them in. Space is getting limited. I decided to sell those Conan's simply because there is no room for them in the cabinet without displacing a few hundred other books. Also, the Mags really arent my thing. I can see if I would have started a huge sale's thread with all the books I purchased from her, but that isn't the case. I figured why give them to a dealer to let him mark them up and make money when I could offer them here to a Conan lover? With the Marvel Super Specials I added and the two regular Conans, it comes out to about $2.00 a book. Wow, what a thief I am! Where would I have spent all that money???

I would start an Ebay account, you may be surprised at the amount you can make compared to the boards at times.

And please do PM me any links of people flipping here on the boards. I have not noticed, but would LOVE to know this.

Pat,

I certainly wouldn't term it "flipping", although just recently I have seen a few early Avengers change hands a few times. It one of the cool things about this hobby; things are very liquid. If you want to, you can completely change the look of your collection in a matter of months. Is it wrong? I guess if you buy then sell for more right away, yes. But I don't think getting a book, then having something else capture your interest requiring you to liquidate recent purchases is wrong.

That is neither here nor there though. I refuse to deal with Ebay simly because they and PayPal make money every little step of the way. It really is robbery. Once again, I tried to sell 12 books of the 200+ I bought. So what?

There is something to be said for holding the books a few months before flipping. Im not trying to ride you on this, just trying to help. It may not seem evident but your actions here will dictate if people will deal with you or not. Im not bashing, but offering up advice.

I'll verify Pats eye for a flip. Gave me the heads up a couple of times which I was grateful for.
That book STILL hasnt sold. I can send you a link later. Its up to $315.00 now though.. It will sell sometime around when Hell freezes over.