• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate FF out today.

87 posts in this topic

I read the preview (which was half the comic) in Wizard and it was a pretty good read, but I was annoyed by the "Muppet babies" approach to the characters. They make Mr Fantastic into a young man and make Sue Storm just another piece of [!@#%^&^] young woman which are in abundance in the comics world. It was all too obvious, although the writing was good and art was nice. It looks like a quality book, besides the premise which irritates me too much to jump in.

It really bugged you that much? That's the basic "Ultimate" premise. Start from zero. To be honest, I would rather have had Reed, etc. NOT be so young, but I'm not so set on these things that it was something I couldn't overcome. As for Sue Storm being just another piece of [!@#%^&^] young woman... huh? She didn't even speak so who knows what her character is like. She's certainly attractive to Reed (his wide eyed appraisal is enough evidence of that) but you'd expect she wouldn't be?

It would have been much more of a challenge to come up with an interesting take on the current characters than it is to make them kids and tell the origin story all over again. But I guess Marvel doesn't want a challenge, just some easy money and the book will certainly sell well.

"an interesting take on the current characters " is exactly what Waid and Ringo did on the regular FF title.

I picked up a couple of copies on Wednesday and thought that the book was a fun read. I will likely be adding it to the file now even though I have always considered the FF as a second-tier Marvel title. I highly recommend it. thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif893frustrated.giftonofbricks.gif

The Thing would clobber anyone who would utter such blasphemy. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I picked up a couple of copies on Wednesday and thought that the book was a fun read. I will likely be adding it to the file now even though I have always considered the FF as a second-tier Marvel title. I highly recommend it. thumbsup2.gif

I felt this way too until the recent Waid run on regular FF. confused-smiley-013.gif

I felt this way too until the recent Waid run on regular FF. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are kidding.....right? confused.gif

Well, I just got through reading it (I skipped the preview in Wizard) and I found it to be a nice read. I'll be up front and say that the FF was never anything I was much into, but from the start of this, it could be something good. Now if they can just keep the same writers and artists on board for more than 10 issues, maybe it'll become a regular on my list.

All inall I dotn think reed is gonna be young forever..

The first page showing his birth says 21 years ago.

By the time the book stops telling retro stories Reed and others will be 21 and out of high school and in university

Heh, heh, heh devil.gif......I thought that comment might get a bit of a response. As someone who started reading and collecting comics as a young lad in the latter 80s, FF was a second tier book compared to ASM, X-Men, Batman and G. I. Joe. While I agree that FF might have been the "World's Greatest Silver Age Comic" (ASM fans would argue with this), it had definitely lost a lot of steam by the time I first picked up a copy off of the rack. wink.gif

It really bugged you that much? That's the basic "Ultimate" premise. Start from zero. To be honest, I would rather have had Reed, etc. NOT be so young, but I'm not so set on these things that it was something I couldn't overcome. As for Sue Storm being just another piece of [!@#%^&^] young woman... huh? She didn't even speak so who knows what her character is like. She's certainly attractive to Reed (his wide eyed appraisal is enough evidence of that) but you'd expect she wouldn't be?

Starting with the FF origin didn't bother me, but making them so young did. I know they will be older in the future issues, but a 21 year old Reed is still much younger than he was in FF #1 (1960s version). I thought one of the unique things about the FF was that they weren't young like most all the other superheroes. But they decided to totally change the characters which doesn't interest me.

As far as Sue Storm, according to the artist, he modeled her after Elisa Cuthbert, the actress who is a fairly stereotypical young blonde sex symbol type. Once again, Sue Storm used to be a more mature female character and stand out in the Marvel universe, and now she is just going to be another hot babe in a tight costume .. .just too contrived for me.

"an interesting take on the current characters " is exactly what Waid and Ringo did on the regular FF title.

Exactly...which is why this book seems alll the more pathetic and useless.

Just got done reading it...I liked it a lot.

I consider FF to be a second-tier title behind Spidey and X-Men. What else can you call it? It's not as popular as those two.

You know, for using the fantastic four name as your name on here, you sure are a hater! smile.gif

Since I've got an obvious natural FF bias...I thought that comment coming from me would be particularly convincing. smirk.gif

You know, for using the fantastic four name as your name on here, you sure are a hater! smile.gif

Since I've got an obvious natural FF bias...I thought that comment coming from me would be particularly convincing. smirk.gif

Traitor! mad.gif

Turn in your keys to the Baxter Building express elevator and the Fantasti-Car this minute!

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Just kidding FF...

However I must punish all those haters out there by making them look at my beat-up oldest FF comic.

It clearly states on the cover it is the "The Greatest Comic Magazine in the World"!

It's offical and in writing! No more arguments!

353144-FF3.jpg

These guys will always the "Ultimate Fantastic Four"!

353144-FF3.jpg.5825d822f9db4d4520320714fdbfdee6.jpg

In terms of historical significance to Marvel, FF is definetly the foundation. But since the Silver Age, it has been a second tier title, with Spidey and X-Men leading the charge. The title has been largely irrelevant through most of the 70's, until now. I'm not being a hater, it's just a fact. Has there really been a "key" FF book in the last 30 years?

In terms of historical significance to Marvel, FF is definetly the foundation. But since the Silver Age, it has been a second tier title, with Spidey and X-Men leading the charge. The title has been largely irrelevant through most of the 70's, until now. I'm not being a hater, it's just a fact. Has there really been a "key" FF book in the last 30 years?

That's the way the cookie crumbles I guess... frown.gif

I haven't bought a new comic off the stand for about 20 years so I'm way behind the times.

You are right though. FF 112 is the last major key, though some books in the 120s go for big bucks in high grade because they are hard to find.

Starting with the FF origin didn't bother me, but making them so young did. I know they will be older in the future issues, but a 21 year old Reed is still much younger than he was in FF #1 (1960s version). I thought one of the unique things about the FF was that they weren't young like most all the other superheroes. But they decided to totally change the characters which doesn't interest me.

i've read the first issue. guess for those (including myself) who read the preview in Wizard, we were some what 'pissed' by the origin of the characters. but just wait a minute, we are missing a point here... if these characters are young kids then why a cover of adults on the cover?? makepoint.gif

read on and find out for yourself... IMO, UFF has lots of potential.

Ignoring the stuff that went on in the 70s because I'm not really qualified to talk about that period, I can tell you the FF definitely wasn't irrelevant in the 80s when John Byrne was doing the story and art. Since he was still good at that point (and "hot" since he was basically just off of X-men) it was actually a pretty big deal. It even had a higher circulation than ASM for a couple of years. After Byrne left it really fell into obscurity, which might explain why people just a little younger than me might think of it as a lame title.