• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Super-Con 2009

4 posts in this topic

Another fun Super-Con, it gets better and better each year. While I was busy most of the con helping out with the panels, I did get a chance to talk with many of the artists and check out some of the booths. The main draw for me this year was Pablo Marcos, I just loved his Tales of the Zombie. Before the con I had setup a commission featuring the Zombie and ipod, I picked it up from Marcos on saturday. Ken Z told me about a Flash Gordon piece that Jason Eden had and I was able to get that (highlight of the show). I also saw Joe Rubenstein who had the Uncanny X-Men #153 cover recreation of "Kitty's Fairy Tales" I had commissioned. One of my favorite stories from the 80s. Tim Vigil also did a sweet iBod piece for my sketchbook. On a totally non-art front I was able to talk with Bruce Dern who had starred in Family Plot which was Alfred Hitchock's final film. Being a huge Hitchcock fan I was thrilled to get a chance to talk with Bruce and have him sign one of the Family Plot lobby cards.

On Sunday the pieces for the Super-Con auction were on display at the con, many were inked over one of four bluelines pencil pinups by Kirby, Schultz, Ross, and Morrison. There must have been 100 pieces submitted from one of those 4 pieces. Many by the big names at the con, Pablo Marcos, Adam Hughes, Micheal Golden, Frank Cho, Jason Palmer, Joe Jusko and many others. They were on display most of the day and auctioned off at 3 after the inking panel (which was very good). I had my eye on a few pieces including the Allison Sohn, Jusko, Morrison, and Marcos. I was able to get the Marcos and Morrison plus a Chan. I think I got some good deals along with some other bidders including Jane Weidlin of the Go-Gos.

It was a fun show and looks to be growing. Hope to see alot of you back next year for 2010. Check out the pieces:

pablo_ipod.jpeg

uncanny_xmen153cvrrec.jpeg

morrison_ross.jpeg

flashgordon_eden.jpeg

More in my CAF: http://cafurl.com?i=12481

Did anyone else attend and get any art?

I was there and thought, as Brian pointed out, got some real deals!

A Mike Mayhew cover for $400

A Mark Schultz piece (the one that everyone else inked) for $1250

As well as a bunch of smaller stuff.

The Schultz will stay in my collection, but I will probably sell the Mayhew as I already have a piece by him and it will help pay for all the other stuff I won.

Steve put on a great fan friendly show, it was a real pleasure to be there!