• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UltraPicky = UltraDicky ...

152 posts in this topic

Don't give him your email address, there is no reason why he can't converse with you via ebay messaging system. He might be a scammer.

I've been away from E-Bay for a few years now and haven't even used their messaging system. How does him having your e-mail address help him with any potential scam?

i was thinking this myself...

Because if someone tries a scam on you with eBay, the ONLY emails they will reference are those that are in the eBay Messaging system. NONE OTHERS!

Make sense now?

not really - you have to be light on brain power to actually fall for an email scam. I doubt someone would win an ebay auction to just send someone an email that is 99.9% ineffective.

I would just send him your email and assume the guy is just being ultra picky...

not really - you have to be light on brain power to actually fall for an email scam. I doubt someone would win an ebay auction to just send someone an email that is 99.9% ineffective.

I would just send him your email and assume the guy is just being ultra picky...

Actually, there have been some amazing scams that occurred on eBay that changed their policies drastically. And I bet some fairly decent people have been burned, so I'd hate to call them stupid in any form just because of that.

The one that led to the username truncation came from someone that started sending out seconed-chance invoices to runners-up that was a dead-ringer for eBay messages. I got one, but knew enough to send it into spoof@ebay.com so they could jump on it.

Yes, indeed I am a pickycollector, but not an "ultra" picky collector, although it is quite relative. And if you make a quick search on eBay you will see what other eBayers (either sellers or buyers) think of me ;)

"He sent me Monopoly money via mail and said it was a foreign currency"

"Upon winning he asked if he could now sell it back to me"

"Asked if I could mail him the carpet the book was pictured on"

(shrug)

Actually, there have been some amazing scams that occurred on eBay that changed their policies drastically. And I bet some fairly decent people have been burned, so I'd hate to call them stupid in any form just because of that.

The one that led to the username truncation came from someone that started sending out seconed-chance invoices to runners-up that was a dead-ringer for eBay messages. I got one, but knew enough to send it into spoof@ebay.com so they could jump on it.

i would guess most people don't fall for email scams. anyways, there are easier ways to obtain email addresses than winning an ebay auction and asking the seller for his/her email address. that's really all I'm saying.

Yes, indeed I am a pickycollector, but not an "ultra" picky collector, although it is quite relative. And if you make a quick search on eBay you will see what other eBayers (either sellers or buyers) think of me ;)

"He sent me Monopoly money via mail and said it was a foreign currency"

"Upon winning he asked if he could now sell it back to me"

"Asked if I could mail him the carpet the book was pictured on"

(shrug)

lol

Oh, just found his instructions online.

1) Please purchase a surplus U.S. Army foot locker, preferably 1945-1958 production design.

case%20foot%20locker.jpg

2) Then, purchase one 30-foot roll of bubblewrap, and 6 feet of high-end packing tape.

3) Please set aside at least one hour to follow these instructions. You will need it!

4) Now take the book, and completely wrap it in the entire 30-foot roll, but please be careful to maintain the book centered throughout.

5) Now take the entire rolled bundle, and tape this with half of the 6-foot roll.

6) Now drop that into the foot locker, close the case, put a 30-lb lock on the front, and then use the rest of the 6-foot tape roll all the way around.

7) Now kiss any profit you ever dream of making on my book. I have totally screwed your profit-to-cost ratio model.

And no worries. He'll be back for more if you do this right. (thumbs u

Replace the foot-locker with a cardboard box, and that's what you will have to deal with when your stuff gets to you.

(thumbs u

-slym

This guy sounds a little out there, but not like a scammer.

I would tell him if he doesn't want to use the eBay message system, then he should just trust your packaging skills and get over it. I would also strongly impress on him how well you package your comics to begin with - I have a few feedbacks that can attest to my safe-packing, and would show them to him. It might quiet him down.

-slym

Don't give him your email address, there is no reason why he can't converse with you via ebay messaging system. He might be a scammer.

I've been away from E-Bay for a few years now and haven't even used their messaging system. How does him having your e-mail address help him with any potential scam?

I think they send phishing emails to try to get your login info... hm

Bingo

I love this stuff. Hi Mister!!!

No idea what this guy's story is. I'd accommodate a reasonable special request...say a box and bubble wrap vs. an envelope and cardboard/bubble wrap...but there's no way I'd jump through a bunch of hoops that some neurotic (or worse) collector tried to force on me. And I wouldn't send my email based on the fact that my spidey sense is registering "serious loon."

It's your auction, you set the terms. This guy needs to pay up and leave it at that.

Id simply tell him that you are a collector as well. Mention that you ship the book's very, very well. The same way you expect them to be shipped to you. Tell him you gladly go that little bit extra for him. But that there is really no need for it. Get a figure in mind for the extra shipping supplies you will need. Then simply tell him the extra material will be X amount of dollars. If he balks at that. Then I would tell him in a polite way that maybe he should look elsewhere for his comic book's. Polite, short, and to the point.

So just to be clear, you are just picky, not ultra picky.

Right?

:D

lol

I just found it funny, you being picky and all.

No offense meant, glad none was taken.

:D

Gawd...this is about the 4th or 5th ebay message that I have recieved from Ultrapicky on eBay...I refuse to give out my email to him...basically because he keeps asking for it...

Here is the last ebay message that I received from him....

Dear ar-aich,

You can be sure that if you do not pack it like I want it to be packed that the book WILL get here damaged!! The mailmen around here are VERY VERY rough with packages so you CAN'T send it in an envelope BUT there is MUCH more precautions to take so it come here intact and I MUST give them to you my friend so PLEASE give me your email address!!! Thanks!!! Daniel

So...waddya think.... hm

So. Why is CAL's kid brother trying to get in touch with you?

(tsk)

If the guy uses paypal then your email address will be exposed anyway. I normally put the instruction in that small message box in the paypal screen and then email the seller with the same instructions just in case they miss them.

If the guy uses paypal then your email address will be exposed anyway. I normally put the instruction in that small message box in the paypal screen and then email the seller with the same instructions just in case they miss them.

Exactly. Pay first :sumo:

Is your PP address your hotmail address? If so when he won the auction he already has your email address.

My only concern is he specifically asked for your HOTMAIL account.Hotmail account have been targeted lately.People are sending out scam/spam emails using hotmail users contacts list.It has happened to me twice.No real security threat just a pain in the for the people in your contacts list.