• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does posting Registry sets end up costing you money for tough titles?

38 posts in this topic

Keep it private until complete- then unleash it onto the masses

My collection is never complete. Schmell had the best FF run in the world, and his was never complete either before he started selling it off, he was constantly upgrading it.

I can't see someone changing the amount they'd be willing to pay just because you personally don't own the book.

I've already had it happen with people I communicate privately with. Making the collection public only seems to increase the probability of this.

I'd be more worried about someone knowing your address and trying to steal the collection.

I don't keep expensive stuff at my house. I used to keep semi-expensive stuff there, but true story--my house was robbed in March of this year. I think it was a few 12-16 year old kids, because they rifled through the ENTIRE house, including the comic room, but walked past about $20K in comics and only stole about $1K in DVDs, Blu-Rays, and a PlayStation 3. After the robbery, I felt like I had dodged a bullet, so I moved any comic worth more than $50 completely out of my house.

Keeping your sets obscured, which some actually do, seems to be defeating the purpose of having the books in the Registry sets to begin with.

I agree with this. Why enter all those books yet then keep it private? (shrug)

Keeping your sets obscured, which some actually do, seems to be defeating the purpose of having the books in the Registry sets to begin with.

I do it because I can access my sets via my phone at conventions. And dont have people knowing I am going after a book and trying to push my bids up.

I save the punishment bids for others. :devil:

I'm not saying this scenario couldn't happen, but seriously, how many people have that much free time to go through other peoples registry sets, make note of books, and then use that info to go after the same books you are looking for?

Not many. But if it's a rare book that only pops up every 1 to 10 years, then this effort is worth it. I've used other people's registry sets to estimate bidding competition several times.

I can't see someone changing the amount they'd be willing to pay just because you personally don't own the book.

I've already had it happen with people I communicate privately with. Making the collection public only seems to increase the probability of this.

I'd be more worried about someone knowing your address and trying to steal the collection.

I don't keep expensive stuff at my house. I used to keep semi-expensive stuff there, but true story--my house was robbed in March of this year. I think it was a few 12-16 year old kids, because they rifled through the ENTIRE house, including the comic room, but walked past about $20K in comics and only stole about $1K in DVDs, Blu-Rays, and a PlayStation 3. After the robbery, I felt like I had dodged a bullet, so I moved any comic worth more than $50 completely out of my house.

well my only question is this - if you're worried about others knowing what books you're targeting why are they posted in your signature? (shrug)

JK - I can see this being a problem with the only CGC 9.8w of a particular issue so I see where you're coming from

well my only question is this - if you're worried about others knowing what books you're targeting why are they posted in your signature? (shrug)

The ones in my sig aren't the only ones I'm looking for, they're just the only complete holes I have; I'd still upgrade almost any copy I own. I put those in my sig because they're the early keys and they're gonna go for a bunch no matter what I do. But take a book like FF #7--you're probably only looking to buy that if you're a completionist. There are far fewer completionists, and from meeting each other on these boards or at cons, we tend to know each other.

Make it public.

I've been offered a lot of books over the years because people can see what issues I have and what I'm missing. It's kind of like having a public want list. And there are plenty of guys who are happy to sell direct without paying a 10% commission. And there are plenty of guys who are happy to make trades.

If a tough to find Silver Age Marvel comes up for sale, there's going to be plenty of competition for it no matter what.

There might be times that it may have cost me a bit, but it's hard to know for sure. But I definitely know that I've gotten books at decent prices because of the exposure.

You've got one of the top 10 Marvel collections on the planet, so I've always wondered why you listed yours. I believe at least one or two of the others with collections comparable to yours specifically don't put their collections in the Registry because they're afraid it would make upgrading harder. The prospect of getting unsolicited offers, and just generally sharing your books with the other people who collect the same stuff you do, is why I'll probably eventually put mine up there.

It all depends on your needs. I obscure mine and use the Registry set more or less as an inventory tool.

By CGC definiton the registry is meant to display collections.

'encouraging collectors of all kinds to display and rank their collections online — side-by-side with other great collections. The Collectors Society Registries keep collectors informed of their goals, and focused on building specialized collections.'

If everyone kept their registries hidden it would be useless to the community.

I like to get inquiries about my registry, it's fun, collecting should be fun.

I think more board members tip their hands in their posts as opposed to their registries.

Make it public.

I've been offered a lot of books over the years because people can see what issues I have and what I'm missing. It's kind of like having a public want list. And there are plenty of guys who are happy to sell direct without paying a 10% commission. And there are plenty of guys who are happy to make trades.

If a tough to find Silver Age Marvel comes up for sale, there's going to be plenty of competition for it no matter what.

There might be times that it may have cost me a bit, but it's hard to know for sure. But I definitely know that I've gotten books at decent prices because of the exposure.

I agree with this. In fact, it's how I finished my latest set of simonson thor. Also, the people who go thru the reg. are mainly boardies, and more are helpful than gouging moneymongers.

The Registry and census for that matter is nothing more than a public list where Auction houses can approach collectors with wonderful offers on how much they can get for their books. The same model has been applied to coins and cards.

Registry's give Auction houses something to write about when they list the books. From the 3rd best set, From the 2nd best set etc.

Registry's give collectors a chance to have the "Best". To be a BSD. To proclaim for those who want to listen that they have the best run of Spider-man, Fantastic four etc. Ever see some guys walking around a show with some killer books holding those books as if they were babies?

Frankly I like it better when people didn't know the extent of my Fantastic four collection.

I also don't like getting annoyed by people wanting to buy my books when I was collecting.

Doug had the best FF collection? I would question that.

Doug had the best FF collection? I would question that.

Can't imagine how the other guy's could have been better unless he's got some unslabbed incredible copies, although given the margin of error in CGC grading, they could easily have arguably equivalent collections. When Schmell first posted his set in the Registry, I looked through his 1-50 run, and he had the top CGC Census copies of virtually every issue in the run, and in many cases, the only top 9.6/9.8 copy when there was only 1 at the top. But that's just going by the label...were some of them overgraded? Was he just quicker to the pressing punch? I have no idea. (shrug)

And the "other guy" as you refer to him has his set posted?

My vote is with the other guy.

I see in your signature line that you need a FF #12 in 9.0 or better. Why didn't you buy the 9.2 I had on my site?

And the "other guy" as you refer to him has his set posted?

No, but I was comparing Doug's set to the Census. He was either tied or at the top for every issue. I haven't looked at his set in a few years, but glancing at it now, he's still at the top or tied for almost every copy except the ones he recently sold or traded off. Had the only 9.6 #1, tied at 9.4 for #2, the only #3 at 9.6 (that's new--pressed? (shrug) ), the only #4 at 9.6, tied at 9.4 for #5, the only 9.6 #6 -- I'm not gonna keep going but I did when he first posted it. I recall him having ALL of the sub-#50 9.8 copies in the world, although that may no longer be true.

Since you're hinting that you've seen the other guy's FFs, any idea why he doesn't post his in the Registry? I'm guessing it's the reason in the title of this thread.

I see in your signature line that you need a FF #12 in 9.0 or better. Why didn't you buy the 9.2 I had on my site?

Been out of collecting for 98% of the last four years, didn't see it. What'd it go for?

I agree with Ghost Town 100%. I've got my current project in the Registry - getting all the Marvel Comcis between 1961 - 1965 in CGC 8.0+. Having it up there has been great for getting books. I tell people to take a look so they can see what I am missing and I have had a decent number of books offered to me because of this. If someone wants to much for a book I just pass.

I don't think it costs me money by having my holes in my project up there for the world to see. Then again there are lots of people buying early Marvel's so whether I am bidding or not likely doesnot impact price much.

Sure I sometimes pay way too much for a book, like just winning JIM 89 in CGC 8.0 today at heritage for 50% more than its highest GPA but I don't think that it is a result of many people knowing it was high on my want list but rather because many people want the book.

Just my opinion. Perhaps if you were trying to acquire the top copy of every book in a run you might want to keep it quiet but other than that I can't see the point.

Make it public.

I agree with Ghost Town 100%. I've got my current project in the Registry - getting all the Marvel Comcis between 1961 - 1965 in CGC 8.0+. Having it up there has been great for getting books. I tell people to take a look so they can see what I am missing and I have had a decent number of books offered to me because of this. If someone wants to much for a book I just pass.

I don't think it costs me money by having my holes in my project up there for the world to see. Then again there are lots of people buying early Marvel's so whether I am bidding or not likely doesnot impact price much.

Sure I sometimes pay way too much for a book, like just winning JIM 89 in CGC 8.0 today at heritage for 50% more than its highest GPA but I don't think that it is a result of many people knowing it was high on my want list but rather because many people want the book.

Just my opinion. Perhaps if you were trying to acquire the top copy of every book in a run you might want to keep it quiet but other than that I can't see the point.

Make it public.

Correct. If they ask too much, you can pass.

CAL trying to become a better buyer