• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Hard will the Avengers Market CRASH & when?

167 posts in this topic

Im tired of this debate Roy. you are right Timely book are the most solid investments on earth, they never cool off just get hotter by the day. There was no period in the past few years where the books really started booming and I know absolutely nothing. What was I even thinking..

Seriously. You have taken almost everything I have said and twisted until it suited your needs. You win ok? I have learned a lesson today, do not try to engage in any discussion with Roy... You need only to listen. (worship)

Dude, you started by not reading what I said and then went off on a tangent.

You said Timelys weren't always hot.

I replied that they were.

Someone who has been there backed it up.

I'm not saying they are the most solid investments on earth, I'm not saying if they are getting hotter or not and I never twisted anything.

Funny how people always get bent out of shape and emotionally attached over a discussion and make it personal. I wouldn't have cared a hoot except that you called me out as being biased when I was simply re-iterating what someone else had said.

(shrug)

SA Marvel Keys are played-out when compared to the far more desirable Charlton SA Keys market. Collectors will eventually have enough of the Marvel Zombie craze and this will lead to the unstoppable, stratospheric ascension of the towering books of Charlton Silver Age Greatness. I mean, has anyone read FF1 - 100? What a joke! Stan Lee is a clown in almost every way measurable.

Don't you know? Have ye not heard?

All Charlton key sales are private and go unreported.

:cry:

There are so very cool Charlton books.Early Ditko,Byrne,and others were found in these books.They will never be as valueable as Marvels but cool just the same.

I'm wondering when this "crash" for ASM #300 is supposed to happen. I'd like to pick up a long box worth for $10 each.

Granted, prices aren't at $1700+ like they were on '07...but $700+ for a 1988 book isn't chump change. It remains the second most valuable Marvel 80's book (replaced by GI Joe #21), and the fourth most valuable overall (after Turtles #1 and Albedo #2.)

Crashes are, and always have been, hardest on non-key, common material.

When I see Spidey #300's selling for $10 in "raw NM" THEN I will believe they have crashed.

As far as Silver Age keys go, r1970d pretty much sums it up.

From $1700 to $700 is over a 50% drop in price. I believe when that happens to stock markets or housing it is called a crash.

Yes, but your analogy is wrong. The stock markets and housing markets are discussed in terms of AVERAGES. $1700 was the extreme HIGH. Therefore, they're not analogous even in that limited context. More to follow.

Why should comics be any different?

Because they are collectibles. Whole different game. And I was wrong. The one $1700+ price that I was quoting happened in 2006, not 2007. I am a stickler for details, after all.

Saying it takes a $1700 book to fall to $10 dollars is just silly.

~ ahem ~

When I see Spidey #300's selling for $10 in "raw NM" THEN I will believe they have crashed.

$1700 sale = CGC 9.8 example.

Better?

Edit- the age of the book and its current value relative to other books from the period have no relevance. All that matters is the peak value vs current value.

Bruce

As to the rest...comics aren't houses, nor are they stocks. They are COLLECTIBLES, and thus subject to far wider extremes than either housing or stocks (and before anyone goes on about how the stock market crashes, remember, those crashes happen about once every 20 YEARS or so.)

Spiderman #300 did not CONSISTENTLY sell for $1700, therefore, that's not what it was really worth, even at the height of its popularity. The LOW sale in each of the last four years? $720 (2006), $611 (2007), $705 (2008) and $706 (2009.)

The 2007 average was $1108 (when Spidey 3 came out), the 2008 average was $904, and the 12 month average is $866.

So...like I said...I'm STILL waiting for this supposed "crash" in Spiderman #300 values.

When RAW "NM" copies sell for $10, and CGC GRADED 9.8 copies sell for let's say $200, THEN I will believe the market for these has crashed. And I doubt that's ever going to happen again.

SA Marvel Keys are played-out when compared to the far more desirable Charlton SA Keys market. Collectors will eventually have enough of the Marvel Zombie craze and this will lead to the unstoppable, stratospheric ascension of the towering books of Charlton Silver Age Greatness. I mean, has anyone read FF1 - 100? What a joke! Stan Lee is a clown in almost every way measurable.

There are so very cool Charlton books.Early Ditko,Byrne,and others were found in these books.They will never be as valueable as Marvels but cool just the same.

are any Charlton books considered keys?

I disagree...ASM #1 is a Top 3 Marvel key in my opinion. It was in the intial rush of issues that started the Marvel Age, features a character that has become an icon, and is a very in demand issue for early Marvel collectors...

With your rationale, Batman or Superman #1 isn't a key... :insane:

Jim

Yeah that crappy reprint book Superman 1...

The ramp up of SA Avengers 1 and 4 may be a spike up then down or just a leveling off. My question is what will happen to Cap GA books.

These are already as hot as can be among GA collectors. My thought related to movie affect is where AV 1 & 4 will probably either level off or go down, I think that GA Caps will either remain level or go even further up. Specifically the GA keys like 1, 3, classic covers, Schomberg WWII covers, and the Weird Tales issues.

So from a speculative POV and at FMV, I'd buy an unrestored GA cap before I bought any of the Avengers. Harder to find sure, but not impossible if you have a range of books you might want.

Timelys in general have been hot for awhile. They will cool down eventually just like everything else. Personally speaking I would grab some Sub-Mariners, and Torch books before MMC and Cap. Just because of the current state of them as the "shiny object". Most the people I have seen buying these books will be tired of them within 6 months.

lol

Pat, Timely books apparently (acc to a few old timers) have always been hot just like SA Marvels.

MMC and Cap you mean.

I could not BELIEVE how many times Subby, Torch, and the other less noteworthy titles have been offered for sale here to either not sell or be steeply discounted.

And Roy. You are hands down a biased opinion. You have far too much to lose with those books.

When I got into the GA collecting last year I watched very closely. Timely's had REALLY started going CRAZY. Im not saying they were "cold" they are expensive and desireable by many collectors. But alot of these books seemed to have a pool of buyers that really exploded onto the scene.

Pat, is your reading comprehension down today?

I'm going to tell you straight :censored:ing up that I'm getting pretty tired of always being told I'm biased. It bugs me because it shows me that in this case you didn't even read what I wrote. You simply replied with a reflex thought.

My statement made references to old timers. Not my opinion.

Ask Ciorac his opinion. He was a BSD for decades. His words: No matter how much the guide went up, Timelys continued to sell for over guide. He's a DC guy so his opinion isn't biased.

I happen to love Silver Age and Bronze Age Marvels. That is my first love. I made a conscious decision to sell most of my collection off and collect low to mid grade TImely.

Why?

Less volatile.

actually, I think i just read an old market report by ponseti? from the early 90's that stated Timely's were "hard" to sell at guide (shrug)

Well, good to know I am not talking out my arse then..

They are HOT now, began heating up a while ago. And may settle back in.

All comics are like the stock market.They are hot and cold.

A shop here in town had a All Star 1 in 6.0.It sit on the wall for 2.5 years.Finally sold at a discount.

Same shop had some(2) new fun books.Same story.

Avengers 16, New team?

Avengers 71, first Invaders?

Compared to Daredevil, Avengers are a cornucopia of keys. Sgt Fury too ya know?

X-men pre 93 isn't exactly key heavy.

Xmen 1 v Avengers 1

Xmen 12 &14 v Avengers 4

Xmen 35 v Avengers 11

Xmen 28 v Avengers 57

X-men 66 v Avengers 71

X-men 51-65 v Avengers 93-100

Thank you for confirming what I have always said.. X-Men were TRASH before the BA :whistle:

You tryin to start a fight or sumthin!! :baiting:

Well except for your awesome run (thumbs u

To me yes.To normal people no lol.

Thing 12 the first Ditko cover.The expolision cover,the tongues cut out cover.Space adventures 10-12.As a pre code collector these are keys.

Thing 12 the first Ditko cover.The expolision cover,the tongues cut out cover.Space adventures 10-12.As a pre code collector these are keys.

hm maybe I should jump on the Charlton bandwagon. Just in case.

hm maybe I should jump on the Charlton bandwagon. Just in case.

Get the ones with Ditko covers :gossip:

Back to Avengers prices, the topic at hand.

From my read of the market, prices on SA Marvel keys in high grade have never crashed. Ever. Not in over 25 years. Sure, they cool off every now and then, meaning they stop a period of strong gains and consolidate around a new, much higher level. That's what I suspect we'll see with Avengers, keys, minor keys, and non-keys all.

Unless and until the number of collectors seeking high grade SA Marvels suddenly goes into steep decline, I can't see prices going into steep decline either. With vintage comics gaining ever-increasing recognition as iconic pop cultural items, and the thirst for high grade copies being at an all-time high, in the near-term I don't see the high grade collector pool going into steep decline either.

Longer-term is a whole different set of circumstances.

The Avengers market should be interesting now that UrbanBooks has sold his collection via CLink. He was a major driver of the skyrocketing prices over the last year.

Alot of his collection seemed to me to fetch skyrocketing prices. (shrug)