• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Postal rate changes

16 posts in this topic

I think I read recently that USPS had something like a $350 million surplus this year (which it used to pay down some of its debt); I think the article also said there were no planned increases until at least 2005.

Thanks for that Mr. Woo. thumbsup2.gif

I think I read recently that USPS had something like a $350 million surplus this year (which it used to pay down some of its debt); I think the article also said there were no planned increases until at least 2005.

Yeah, and the check is in the mail....and my dog ate my homework.. 893blahblah.gif

Ever since the post office has implemented the tactic of "one counter person per every 10 irrate customers waiting in line", they've become profitable. Fancy that. smirk.gif

Seriously, I shouldn't complain; our domestic mail service is the best in the world, occasional assault-rifle inspired killing sprees aside. Sorry for you canucks and the price hikes you are about to endure. frown.gif

I wonder if it's somehow attributable to more email and less 'snail mail', but then increasing volume of on-line business also increases the need for shipping and it can't all go UPS or FEDEX. Maybe there's more profit in parcels than letters? confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a friend who works at a postal facility and he has told me that the psot office works just like a telephone company. Telephone companies across America lose money on residential phone lines, and make their profits on business lines and fiber optics. The post office loses money when delivering envelopes and makes their profit when delivering parcels of any kind from Media Mail to Express Post. In both cases, the money losing side is something that is mandated by the government. You must provide residential telephone service for the good of the community, and you must deliver envelope mail for the good of the community.

Not sure how high the XpressPost rates from Canada to USA will be after 04Jan15. Cost of a stamp went from 65 cents to around 80 cents to USA. It's only a 23% jump + 7% tax. Welcome to Canada. 893frustrated.gif

Are you joking? I'm looking at their consumer changes for Jan 12, 2004, and there's nothing under that section but a basic 1-cent increase.....

Not sure how high the XpressPost rates from Canada to USA will be after 04Jan15. Cost of a stamp went from 65 cents to around 80 cents to USA. It's only a 23% jump + 7% tax. Welcome to Canada. 893frustrated.gif

Ooops, just found the "criminal prices" online. 893whatthe.gif

Okay, who wants the new CP loan shark rates?

Small Packet US (Surface/Air):

250g: $3.35 / $5.05

500g: $5.10 / $6.70

1KG: $8.50 / $11.40

So basically, a nice 15% rate jump. Freaking posties need some privatization. makepoint.gif

I hope & pray XpressPost to USA did not leap 15%. Gonna have to charge more to mail slabs to USA.

Join the VentureOne Cda Post program to save 5% on XpressPost plus have access to expedited parcel rates within Cda & USA (includes auto. $100 insurance). gossip.gif

According to the guy I was speaking with, Canada Post non-letter rates "all went up by a percentage", which I now assume was 15%.

At some point, buying and selling items online will become extinct, as it'll be too expensive to ship..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The national inflation rate in Canada for 2003 was 3.2%. Since everyone is using email & emailed X-mas cards instead of letter mail, Canada Post saw fit to jack up rates at least 15% across the board. Nasty. mad.gif

Yeah, and that 6% pay raise, retroactive a year or so, and additional benefits to posties didn't help either. makepoint.gif