• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Werewolf By Night #32....A steal at this price.

189 posts in this topic

There are some ridiculous prices on Pedigree and Clink, I think it may have to do with people not wanting to leave anything on the table as some see some of these auction results and have delusions of grandeur. The Pacific Coast Cap 117 9.4 was briefly listed on the Pedigree website at 9K also before finishing DMR and $1500 in the Grand Auction.

All the keys have been established from the SA/BA. I am not following your point there.

I do not need a 15 year old kid to tell me an AF #15 is a key book.

Older collectors are supposed to educate new collectors.

I am getting pretty tired of hearing this argument that comics will eventually die because of the video games, anime, or the internet.

I first heard that at age 12 and I am now almost 29.

So I am not to concerned.

What the hell are you talking about? Have you been reading this thread?

My response to Pat was concerning my belief that modern comics aren't going to cause a back issue to suddenly become a minor or major key as we have seen in the past. Those days are over because not enough new blood is coming into the hobby to create a demand that comic collectors don't already know or care about..

That was the point of my original post you said you 100% disagreed with...and my response to that.

I'm not sure where this "the hobby is dying" tangent is coming from as I neither stated or implied that. That's a completely different discussion than what we're having here...with the exception of you apparently... :frustrated:

Jim

You have implied "the hobby is dying" before in other threads. And it seemed like you were going to go there again.

WOW, I just looked up New Mutants #98 on GPAnalysis. I had no idea that book sold for so much money! You have to admit, Jim, that given the insanely high print run on that book (somewhere around 500,000 copies, if I remember correctly), the fact that CGC 9.8s are selling for $300 is astounding.

Yep...movie hype is a wonderful thing...

Jim

I always found it funny that you use the :frustrated: graemlin so often because you're a lifer in the military, which means that you don't actually have any hair to pull out, right? lol

lol But now that I've retired I can let my hair down. Not that genetics is going to let me...

Jim

It's a key book off of a B-level Character.

It's overvalued at 3K in 9.6.

Don't get me wrong I like Moon Knight and I wish marvel would use him more, but come on.

He has his own monthly title John. And it does well. I realise it isnt BA marvel. But by being used in modern issues it creates popularity with characters. This is how characters become popular..

It is a BA Marvel. :baiting:

Moon Knight is not even close to a A-level character.

There is nothing wrong with him being B-Level Character.

He is like Ghost Rider.

Some days I really have to question your intellegence. Moon Knight has made strides the past few years, and has become a great character. How he wa perceived to be when the book was released, or his 80's series has no impact on today.

Just because people dont read moderns (for whatever reason), and dont keep up with how the Marvel U is changing does not mean that comics have stopped. So it is very easy for a character who was a B lister "back in the day" to become an A-lister. But refusing to accept that things change makes you look like an old lady complaining girls wear too much makeup.

We all have opinions. Just be well rounded in the discussion before adding two cents.

Don't get me wrong I like Moon Knight and I wish marvel would use him more, but come on.

He has his own monthly title John. And it does well. I realise it isnt BA marvel. But by being used in modern issues it creates popularity with characters. This is how characters become popular..

He is like Ghost Rider.

Some days I really have to question your intellegence. Moon Knight has made strides the past few years, and has become a great character. How he wa perceived to be when the book was released, or his 80's series has no impact on today.

Just because people dont read moderns (for whatever reason), and dont keep up with how the Marvel U is changing does not mean that comics have stopped. So it is very easy for a character who was a B lister "back in the day" to become an A-lister. But refusing to accept that things change makes you look like an old lady complaining girls wear too much makeup.

We all have opinions. Just be well rounded in the discussion before adding two cents.

Moon Knight is not even close to an A-Lister.

WTF are you talking about.

I do like Moon Knight but please dont tell me he is top tier.

One of the best modern books right now to read is B Character, and his name is Daredevil.

What makes the character MK top tier?

He is like Ghost Rider.

Moon Knight is not even close to an A-Lister.

I do like Moon Knight but please dont tell me he is top tier.

One of the best modern books right now to read is B Character, and his name is Daredevil.

What makes the character MK top tier?

Daredevil is one of the best books out and has been a few years.

Moon Knights new series shows him to be one sick :censored: and has done wonders for the character

And I am busting yer chops because I can.

And sometimes I really do question your intellegence. Based mainly on the fact you live on the west coast and not east.

How much do people think it will eventually go for?

A 9.8? At this rate $9-10K.

All depends on how the rest of the hobby does.

It's a B tier character but an impossible book in grade.

As many have alluded to, Bronze is the new Silver. Folks growing up in the late 70's, early 80's can now begin to afford those books in super high grade.

R.

How much do people think it will eventually go for?

A 9.8? At this rate $9-10K.

All depends on how the rest of the hobby does.

It's a B tier character but an impossible book in grade.

As many have alluded to, Bronze is the new Silver. Folks growing up in the late 70's, early 80's can now begin to afford those books in super high grade.

R.

I wouldn't call 61 9.4s and 22 9.6s anywhere near impossible in HG...

Jim

Wow. I hadn't checked the census in a very long time (I had a gorgeous copy come back a 9.6 SP ct about two years ago). Lots have come to market then.

That shows even more so how aggressive the Bronze Age market has become. With that sort of representation and prices still climbing there is a very large groundswell of buyers.

R.

But by being used in modern issues it creates popularity with characters. This is how characters become popular..

Maybe 15 years ago. The Modern market has little impact on back issue prices anymore. That paradigm has died and won't be revived unless we see a flood of fresh blood in this hobby...

Jim

100% Disagree.

Every day that passes someone in this country/world gets into comics which more often than not leads to collectability of back issues.

Is it as widespread like your generation, NO.

The hobby is still creating new blood, and will be around long after all of us kick the bucket.

Show me an example of a SA/BA comic that has broken out of the pack in the last 5 years similar to what we saw in the early-90s with the 1st App of Ghost Rider, Punisher, Sabretooth, etc...

With Copper...maybe you can say Deadpool. But then again, it isn't anywhere near the heights or recognition as a key as the early-90s character breakout titles.

The number of new readers entering this hobby pails in comparison to the past. That's the major problem comic collcting faces...and there isn't enough new blood to make something "hot" that hasn't already been identified by the old timers as having potential...

Jim

WOW, I just looked up New Mutants #98 on GPAnalysis. I had no idea that book sold for so much money! You have to admit, Jim, that given the insanely high print run on that book (somewhere around 500,000 copies, if I remember correctly), the fact that CGC 9.8s are selling for $300 is astounding.

Now I have to dig through that decrepit box of Liefeld caca to find my multiple copies of NM#98! :cloud9:

Print run for NM #98 is somewhere around 150,000. Sckao has the numbers somewhere, based on Statement of Ownership numbers.

Edit: My apologies, this is incorrect. It was around 300,000. I was thinking of copies sold, not copies printed. ;)

All the keys have been established from the SA/BA. I am not following your point there.

I do not need a 15 year old kid to tell me an AF #15 is a key book.

Older collectors are supposed to educate new collectors.

I am getting pretty tired of hearing this argument that comics will eventually die because of the video games, anime, or the internet.

I first heard that at age 12 and I am now almost 29.

So I am not to concerned.

What the hell are you talking about? Have you been reading this thread?

My response to Pat was concerning my belief that modern comics aren't going to cause a back issue to suddenly become a minor or major key as we have seen in the past. Those days are over because not enough new blood is coming into the hobby to create a demand that comic collectors don't already know or care about..

Plus, the conditions that created such an environment in the first place no longer exist. The very last real "break out" key was Iron Fist #14...and that was around '90-'92, started by Wolverine #10.

Sure, you can say Spidey #149, but really?

...and this is not without trying, to be sure. Wizard and lots of dealers have tried to "create" keys like Spotlight #32, Astonishing Tales #25, Animal Man #5 (really!), etc, and they never "took."

There are too many copies of too many 80's-up books in uber high grade for any back issues to become "super keys" from unknown status today. NM #98 was actually a recognized "key" by the time the first mini came out in 1993. X-Men #266 and NM #87, of course, were keys within months of release.

Is there anything published since 1980 that is unknown but has the potential to be the next Spiderman #129?

Highly doubtful.

But by being used in modern issues it creates popularity with characters. This is how characters become popular..

Maybe 15 years ago. The Modern market has little impact on back issue prices anymore. That paradigm has died and won't be revived unless we see a flood of fresh blood in this hobby...

Jim

100% Disagree.

Every day that passes someone in this country/world gets into comics which more often than not leads to collectability of back issues.

The hobby is still creating new blood, and will be around long after all of us kick the bucket.

Show me an example of a SA/BA comic that has broken out of the pack in the last 5 years similar to what we saw in the early-90s with the 1st App of Ghost Rider, Punisher, Sabretooth, etc...

With Copper...maybe you can say Deadpool. But then again, it isn't anywhere near the heights or recognition as a key as the early-90s character breakout titles.

The number of new readers entering this hobby pails in comparison to the past. That's the major problem comic collcting faces...and there isn't enough new blood to make something "hot" that hasn't already been identified by the old timers as having potential...

Jim

Now I have to dig through that decrepit box of Liefeld caca to find my multiple copies of NM#98! :cloud9:

Print run for NM #98 is somewhere around 150,000. Sckao has the numbers somewhere, based on Statement of Ownership numbers.

Really? That seems awfully low. I thought that Liefeld had completely turned around New Mutants' sales figures by then.

Besides...Moon Knight is just Batman-Lite.

Wait.

Wrong board. ;)

Batman lite ahahaahahahahahah

Oh so comical supporting a character that won't use guns or take a life or such. Moon knight thrives on revenge and ripping peoples faces off and carving cresent darts into enemy forheads along with he will use whatever it takes to get the job done period.

Picture this....

Batman and Moon Knight face off in a street as the sun is going down and there is a red hue to the sky. They start the battle off hand to hand throwing each other around and landing a few hits here and there kicking each others asses. As the fight progresses they are on even turns throwing batorangs and Cresent darts at each other both evading each other. Moon Knight all of a sudden pulls out a gun in which Batman replies hey that not fair I don't use guns and moon knight says to bad and shoot him in the face without even thinking twice. Moon Knight then walks over and removes Batmans cowl and slices off his face.

The end!

Jim

100% Disagree.

Jim

Really? That seems awfully low. I thought that Liefeld had completely turned around New Mutants' sales figures by then.

He had...it was much higher than 150K by #98. The Statement was a yearly average. I remember in one of the early Wizards mentioning New Mutants was at 300-350K when #100 was released...

Jim