• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sports Card Community - Restoration: Does Comic Book Industry Have it Right?

105 posts in this topic

Mark,

There are some differences. Pressing in the card business can be detected and is considered resto. Just got back a T206 last year that had been pressed. Beckett would not slab.

Lots of new cards can be trimmed because of very slight natural differences in card size. I know someone that does this to get Beckett 9.5 and PSA 10s (he has made LOTS of money doing this)

U know KB?

Is he in NC?

But since it can't be detected on a comic.......

Every time someone posts this :censored: an angel loses its wings.

Only a portion of the best pro-pressing jobs cannot be *reliably* detected, and even so, experts like Susan C. have gone on record they can tell the difference and pick the pressed book out.

Only a portion of the best pro-pressing jobs cannot be *reliably* detected, and even so, experts like Susan C. have gone on record they can tell the difference and pick the pressed book out.

:insane:

80098.jpg.442abb6621e71c5eeb72027ea236f6bb.jpg

doh! really?

:olol

Mark,

There are some differences. Pressing in the card business can be detected and is considered resto. Just got back a T206 last year that had been pressed. Beckett would not slab.

Lots of new cards can be trimmed because of very slight natural differences in card size. I know someone that does this to get Beckett 9.5 and PSA 10s (he has made LOTS of money doing this)

U know KB?

Is he in NC?

Sure is.

Mark,

U know KB?

Is he in NC?

Sure is.

SJJ on ebay?

Mark,

:o

yeah, me too.... :o

And he's so casual about it! :)

Mark,

:o

yeah, me too.... :o

And he's so casual about it! :)

That's what I was thinking.

The key to detecting pressing done on (many) comics.....

::gossip:...it's in the gloss.....

Many but not all.

No, not all...but it's a hell of decent sign.

One of the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell you how poor Susan C is at her job, but she has stated that she can detect pressing when it has been performed.

Fairly confident statement, that...but of course, she doesn't know what she's doing. meh

i think T206 is a series, not a specific card, but i'm no card expert or even close to an authority...

Sure..... there were different series until the early 70s

Ever hear of high numbers?

The 52 Topps high numbers are the holy grail to many

The Mantle is in this series

I am aware there were different series. meh

There still are.

The question was: was any given series' produduced in one continuous run, or did multiple print runs occur.

The key to detecting pressing done on (many) comics.....

::gossip:...it's in the gloss.....

Many but not all.

No, not all...but it's a hell of decent sign.

One of the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell you how poor Susan C is at her job, but she has stated that she can detect pressing when it has been performed.

Fairly confident statement, that...but of course, she doesn't know what she's doing. meh

Susan's true love for comics helps make her great at her job. I had the privilege of having dinner with her earlier this year. What a remarkable woman she is. She will be the first to admit that she can't always detect pressing but, imo, she is better at it than most.

i think T206 is a series, not a specific card, but i'm no card expert or even close to an authority...

That it is, but it's a tough set all around, and happens to include the Honus card.

Was that the specific card you got, Capt...? ;)

Sure..... there were different series until the early 70s

Ever hear of high numbers?

The 52 Topps high numbers are the holy grail to many

The Mantle is in this series

I am aware there were different series. meh

There still are.

The question was: was any given series' produduced in one continuous run, or did multiple print runs occur.

Well I think they printed all during the season and the high numbers were printed in smaller numbers and probably only once near the end of the season. Variations in paper or paper thickness could certainly occur.