• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age Ebay shocker

36 posts in this topic

I was pleasantly surprised to see this cover for sale (and after contacting the seller about the condition issues, more confused than beforehand). In his email to me, he had this to say about the Thanos head area.

"I do not think so... I unfortunately am not an expert on original art... but stat pieces, such as the top of the piece, the title and small drawing of Captain Mar-vell, have a flat black, shightly gray look like you expect on an old time Xerox...

The blacks on the Thanos overlay are rich and dark. The art on the overlay stretches to, and touches the rubble, Mar-vell's arm and head, and the word balloons on the left. At the top the overlay should actually be mounted under the paste up, the shading on the visor and the lines from his helmet extend onto the paste up, up to the word "Mar-vell"... on the page that links from the auction listing, I put up another full page scan that I think shows this pretty clearly. The framers put this in place so exactly that it is hard to figure out where the picture of Thanos ends really. I think the edges of the plastic are easier to see on this picture... "

One historic piece though, and congrats to the new owner.

-Bill

Interesting thoughts and analysis on this thread as always. I don't know if this is in a "shocker" category. Perhaps the most surprising thing is that the seller apparently posted the cover during a week that top tier Starlin collectors were paying attention -lol! It is a great cover, and arguably the second best cover in the run (in my opinion, Len Callo is the owner of the best cover in the run, and the most iconic Starlin CM image of all time - happily, it is on CAF for all to enjoy).

Based on at least one prior private sale of a Starlin CM cover, this was right in the range for full market value for this piece. Thus, there was no eBay "discount" and the seller (in hindsight, very wisely) did not have to pay 20% of his proceeds to an auction house.

The listing irregularities and inadequate description may have scared off certain bidders, but serious buyers were apparently undeterred. It is interesting to read that there was a possibility that this piece would have gone from one "off-the-grid" collector to another, as it presents the possibility that there are a great many collectors who do not participate in the typical internet venues for our little hobby. Neverthelss, I can't wait until the buyer posts a better scan of the cover on CAF (if he does).

In my view, this was a win-win situation. The seller got essentially every penny of full market value for his piece (and above his own valuation for the piece of $10K), and the buyer got his one of a kind A-level bronze age cover juice-free.

Congrats to all.

- A

Hi, I am the (former) owner of the Starlin cover in question. To really put forward my ignorance as a calling card, I didn't have a reserve, I had an initial bid only, and for $1499.

My thought was it would fetch 3 - 5 K.

As someone else commented, the poor economy was definitely a driver. I was doing some monetary calculations while I couldn't sleep on a Saturday night, and had the cover out on eBay on Monday. No research, and no clue of what interest there would be, but that's my situation. Over the next week, I met some very nice people, and was heartened to find other Starlin fans, and also people that were very up front on what they thought the cover was worth. I thank you if you were one of those people.

Because of this sale, we can stay in our house for at least a half year more if we can't sell, and I can make up my son's tuition for this last semester, so definitely a boon.

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on the sale price.

It's rare for a high end piece to get full value on ebay so I'm glad it worked out for you given the circumstances.

If you have more art of this quality for sale let me know. lol. :grin:

Cheers!

N

(Responding to confusing explanation of the overlay)

Sorry about that! The Thanos face is ink on plastic, and the plastic extends beyond where the drawing ends. When you see the scans, you are seeing Mar-Vell's arm and Vision on the bottom through the plastic...unfortunately, it's been so long...but there may be a pencil sketch of Thanos under the plastic for Starlin to ink over...but I am not sure anymore and did not mislead if that is inaccurate.

The orange stain is either reaction to the plastic, or because of some gluing that was holding the plastic in place. This is fairly common, though, correct? You can see it on Len's #29 piece, and also on a scan of #34 where the title paste up must have been. The only reason I did not attribute the coloring to Starlin was that it doesn't cover everywhere, it actually stops in the middle of "Captain"...but then again, to get the background correct, I guess that makes sense to have colored it in to match the black of the Thanos drawing.

Hi Chris; welcome and congrats on a really nice sale! Here's a favorite from my collection speaking of Starlin greatness...

Very nice...I have to say my favorite, for effect, is Strange Tales #179.

Chris,

Welcome to the boards. I'm glad this deal worked out for you and the buyer. It is nice when the market appreciation of our little hobby can be used to make a real difference in someone's life. We don't always cash out, but I'm sure it feels really good to know that it's a possibility.

All the best,

Hari

Because of this sale, we can stay in our house for at least a half year more if we can't sell, and I can make up my son's tuition for this last semester, so definitely a boon.

This is perhaps the most inspiring story I've ever heard about a strong result from an OA sale. Best of luck to you and your family Chris.

- Artemis

This is perhaps the most inspiring story I've ever heard about a strong result from an OA sale. Best of luck to you and your family Chris.

- Artemis

Its funny because I see it from the opposite. This is the most depressing story I've heard in a long time. Selling rare OA for a short term fix is never a good story.

so how much do you think my starlin page from the Omac back-up story to Kamandi 59 is worth? it is a sweet action shot of Omac punching like 12 guys at once or something.