• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riddle me this...

38 posts in this topic

Let's say "my friend" has a Pedigreed book that he wants to crack out and re-sub on the QT, thinking the book would probably get a grade bump. If said book did, in fact, get the bump, how would (or could) he get the Ped designation back on the label?

I know this is sort of a Catch-22, but If he couldn't, would a grade and possibly PQ bump be worth losing the Ped label notation? Oh... and the book is a semi-key, if there is such a thing. You understand what I mean.

Thoughts please? For "my friend" of course. :blush:

Let's say "my friend" has a Pedigreed book that he wants to crack out and re-sub on the QT, thinking the book would probably get a grade bump. If said book did, in fact, get the bump, how would (or could) he get the Ped designation back on the label?

I know this is sort of a Catch-22, but If he couldn't, would a grade and possibly PQ bump be worth losing the Ped label notation? Oh... and the book is a semi-key, if there is such a thing. You understand what I mean.

Thoughts please? For "my friend" of course. :blush:

Send it in either in the slab or with the label that has the Ped designation. It will still receive the Ped designation. If you just send it in with the label and not still slabbed, you may want to take high res scans of the book in the slab with the label showing the Ped.

I have the label, Pat. The purpose is to submit the book on it's own. If I submit in the slab, the chances are very less likely to get the bump.

Not true. The graders won't know it was slabbed before. Even if they remember the book, it's unlikely they will remember what it graded the first time around.

I have the label, Pat. The purpose is to submit the book on it's own. If I submit in the slab, the chances are very less likely to get the bump.
The certificate of authenticity, or whatever you wanna call it that may have come with the book.

Not true. The graders won't know it was slabbed before. Even if they remember the book, it's unlikely they will remember what it graded the first time around.

Ahhh... there is the idea. I forgot the grader supposedly doesn't see the label, but who de-slabs the book?

The "I assume" was an addition to my prior post.

Ahhh... there is the idea. I forgot the grader supposedly doesn't see the label, but who de-slabs the book?

Front office/receiving guys.

The certificate of authenticity, or whatever you wanna call it that may have come with the book.

I don't have a certificate, just the notation on the label. The book is still in the slab at this point.

Front office/receiving guys.

Thank you, my good man. So leaving it slabbed is my best option. (thumbs u

I don't have a certificate, just the notation on the label. The book is still in the slab at this point.

If you are not planning on having it pressed, just send it in still slabbed. I have done this and it works just fine. Sent in a still slabbed 9.4 Curator book that I could not figure out why it wasn't a 9.8. Came back a 9.6 with the Curator designation. I still don't know why it isn't a 9.8 :pullhair:

If you are not planning on having it pressed, just send it in still slabbed. I have done this and it works just fine. Sent in a still slabbed 9.4 Curator book that I could not figure out why it wasn't a 9.8. Came back a 9.6 with the Curator designation. I still don't know why it isn't a 9.8 :pullhair:

There's the rub.... I forgot about the possible pressing of the book. If I called and said the book was already cracked out, would the label be worthless or would they accept that as verification? Or would the hi-res scan be of any help?

In the slab, for the scan of course

I think as long as the book is identifiable as a Ped, whether it be because of a scan of the book slabbed with the designation, or unique markings or whatever, it will still get the designation upon resub.

If you crack the book out, send it in WITH the label for the pedigree designation. The CGC guys aren't dummies. Most pedigrees have distinguishing characteristics and they can tell if it is the original or a dupe copy.

It is possible they will ask for additional evidence of the pedigree of the book. So, scan it both front and back in the holder if additional information is requested. I recently provided them with information on ten or twelve Bronze Mass copy Avengers. I knew the chain of ownership and was able to trace the books back to the source. It wasn't a big deal. Ali-Jae is an angel. :cloud9:

This is not the CIA. There is no need to be on the QT. We aren't smuggling crack in from Colombia and it isn't the first pedigree resub they have ever handled. Please keep the old serial number so it can be forwarded to CGC as to let them know that slab no longer exists and the census can be updated.

If you crack the book out, send it in WITH the label for the pedigree designation. The CGC guys aren't dummies. Most pedigrees have distinguishing characteristics and they can tell if it is the original or a dupe copy.

This is not the CIA. There is no need to be on the QT. We aren't smuggling crack in from Colombia and it isn't the first pedigree resub they have ever handled. Please keep the old serial number so it can be forwarded to CGC as to let them know that slab no longer exists and the census can be updated.

Thanks for the input, but if the CGC graders supposedly don't know whose book it is, and don't get to see the previous label, how would they know it's a Ped in the first place? At what point do the distinguishing characteristics come in to play? In receiving? Not trying to be smart here, but it seems like something is off base.

Thanks for the input, but if the CGC graders supposedly don't know whose book it is, and don't get to see the previous label, how would they know it's a Ped in the first place? At what point do the distinguishing characteristics come in to play? In receiving? Not trying to be smart here, but it seems like something is off base.

The individuals who hand the books off to the graders label the book as a pedigree. The graders know it is a pedigree, but they do not know who owns it. Part of the grading process is the validation of the pedigree status. Certain graders are experts in regards to certain pedigrees. They can look for certain nuances that you or I may miss. For example, the way the book smells, page quality, date stamps, placement of signatures and initials, store stamps and other distinguishing characteristics, all lend themselves to specific pedigrees.

Why would a book have less of a chance getting a grade bump just because the label's present? (shrug) The moment the book is cracked, the grade assigned to it is invalidated anyway and the grading process must start over. With or without the label, you have the same chance getting the same grade or a bump.

In fact, I submitted a book at NYCC. I cracked it as a 9.0, had it signed and submitted with the label, and it came back a 9.2. Sending the label in has no bearing on the new grade whatsoever.

Or maybe I'm missing something. (shrug)

Has anyone ever sent in a straight resub still in the holder, and gotten a higher grade?