• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riddle me this...

38 posts in this topic

I understand now. The graders are told the book is a pedigree, which makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that part up for me.

One more question, if you will? Do they tell the graders which pedigree the book is from? I ask this because, if they remember the characteristics of a book, there's a pretty good chance they'll remember what grade they assigned to it, no?

Also, if the book is pressed, isn't it possible that it may have certain changes to it? I'm not trying to start a debate here, just looking to learn. I appreciate your input. (thumbs u

Why would a book have less of a chance getting a grade bump just because the label's present? (shrug) The moment the book is cracked, the grade assigned to it is invalidated anyway and the grading process must start over. With or without the label, you have the same chance getting the same grade or a bump.

In fact, I submitted a book at NYCC. I cracked it as a 9.0, had it signed and submitted with the label, and it came back a 9.2. Sending the label in has no bearing on the new grade whatsoever.

Or maybe I'm missing something. (shrug)

You're missing that the book is a Pedigree, and I'm wondering how to re-submit and keep the designation.

I am guessing, but I think the comic is put in some sort of holder with all pertinent info as it goes along the process. So, it would be known which pedigree it came from at any point in the grading process.

As to your other question, what is the chance the graders remember any grade given to any particular book? They look at so many books.....

Again, all a WAG.

-slym

Has anyone ever sent in a straight resub still in the holder, and gotten a higher grade?

Someone on here was talking about sending PGX slabs in and getting nice bumps. (shrug)

I am guessing, but I think the comic is put in some sort of holder with all pertinent info as it goes along the process. So, it would be known which pedigree it came from at any point in the grading process.

As to your other question, what is the chance the graders remember any grade given to any particular book? They look at so many books.....

Again, all a WAG.

-slym

With all due respect, if they remember the nuances of Ped books, wouldn't they remember the grade just as easily?

I understand now. The graders are told the book is a pedigree, which makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that part up for me.

One more question, if you will? Do they tell the graders which pedigree the book is from? I ask this because, if they remember the characteristics of a book, there's a pretty good chance they'll remember what grade they assigned to it, no?

Also, if the book is pressed, isn't it possible that it may have certain changes to it? I'm not trying to start a debate here, just looking to learn. I appreciate your input. (thumbs u

Yes, the graders are told which pedigree the book is, so that they know which characteristics to look for. They grade so many books, graders change and opinions change. There is an example of all events; grades going up, grades coming down and grades staying the same.

The only pedigree that I know that could suffer ( and I mean losing a characteristic or trademark) due to pressing is the Ohio pedigree as they had subscription creases or some type of creasing that was indicative to the pedigree. I am a little fuzzy on that one, but I believe that's it. I am pretty sure that is how cgcworld explained it to me.

Has anyone ever sent in a straight resub still in the holder, and gotten a higher grade?

Someone on here was talking about sending PGX slabs in and getting nice bumps. (shrug)

Far be it for me to speak for anyone, but maybe COI meant a CGC book resub...?

-slym

I haven't, but I'm sure it's been done.

I have the label, Pat. The purpose is to submit the book on it's own. If I submit in the slab, the chances are very less likely to get the bump.
The certificate of authenticity, or whatever you wanna call it that may have come with the book.

I don't have a certificate, just the notation on the label. The book is still in the slab at this point.

If you are not planning on having it pressed, just send it in still slabbed. I have done this and it works just fine. Sent in a still slabbed 9.4 Curator book that I could not figure out why it wasn't a 9.8. Came back a 9.6 with the Curator designation. I still don't know why it isn't a 9.8 :pullhair:

Far be it for me to speak for anyone, but maybe COI meant a CGC book resub...?

-slym

I assumed he meant CGC books, but I tried to make a point about the silliness of PGX getting bumps, when most are over-graded or restored. ;)

Yes, the graders are told which pedigree the book is, so that they know which characteristics to look for. They grade so many books, graders change and opinions change. There is an example of all events; grades going up, grades coming down and grades staying the same.

The only pedigree that I know that could suffer ( and I mean losing a characteristic or trademark) due to pressing is the Ohio pedigree as they had subscription creases or some type of creasing that was indicative to the pedigree. I am a little fuzzy on that one, but I believe that's it. I am pretty sure that is how cgcworld explained it to me.

Got it. Thanks for the input. If there only was a way to press it while still in the slab. :insane:

Got it. Thanks for the input. If there only was a way to press it while still in the slab. :insane:

Dude, it isn't an issue unless they up the press job.

Let's say "my friend" has a Pedigreed book that he wants to crack out and re-sub on the QT, thinking the book would probably get a grade bump. If said book did, in fact, get the bump, how would (or could) he get the Ped designation back on the label?

I know this is sort of a Catch-22, but If he couldn't, would a grade and possibly PQ bump be worth losing the Ped label notation? Oh... and the book is a semi-key, if there is such a thing. You understand what I mean.

Thoughts please? For "my friend" of course. :blush:

Bought from a boardie cracked out with the label in the back of the mylar.

avengers65032.jpg

Thought it was nicer then the 9.2 grade previously assigned.

Sent it in with the old label, and the result.

avengers65033.jpg

Let's say "my friend" has a Pedigreed book that he wants to crack out and re-sub on the QT, thinking the book would probably get a grade bump. If said book did, in fact, get the bump, how would (or could) he get the Ped designation back on the label?

I know this is sort of a Catch-22, but If he couldn't, would a grade and possibly PQ bump be worth losing the Ped label notation? Oh... and the book is a semi-key, if there is such a thing. You understand what I mean.

Thoughts please? For "my friend" of course. :blush:

Bought from a boardie cracked out with the label in the back of the mylar.

avengers65032.jpg

Thought it was nicer then the 9.2 grade previously assigned.

Sent it in with the old label, and the result.

avengers65033.jpg

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. :applause:

Why would a book have less of a chance getting a grade bump just because the label's present? (shrug) The moment the book is cracked, the grade assigned to it is invalidated anyway and the grading process must start over. With or without the label, you have the same chance getting the same grade or a bump.

In fact, I submitted a book at NYCC. I cracked it as a 9.0, had it signed and submitted with the label, and it came back a 9.2. Sending the label in has no bearing on the new grade whatsoever.

Or maybe I'm missing something. (shrug)

You're missing that the book is a Pedigree, and I'm wondering how to re-submit and keep the designation.

I didn't miss that point at all. I was just saying that there's no benefit to not submitting the label with the book and doing so would solve any fears you have of losing the pedigree designation. Maybe others are tracking this, but I'm lost as to why you would even consider not sending in the label with it. Maybe someone could enlighten me?