• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 - shifting preferences? BB28 the "new" 1st SA DC?

160 posts in this topic

Not knowing anything about Captain Comet, someone explain to me how he's so significant when he's been cancelled for decades and when, as far as I know, he spawned almost zero similar major science-fiction comic characters? I could be wrong about that since I haven't read early Strange Adventures...so those who have, share it with us, what's great about this guy? Rocketeer's point that he never even got his own title sounds relevant as well.

Mark Merlin, Space Cabby, Adam Strange, Star Hawkins, Space Museum, Atomic Knights, Space Ranger all come to mind. Some of those were very good.

I'm glad to see that all the Marvel people who never read DC's and know nothing about them have such strong feelings on the subject (not specifically directed at you FF).

The book regarded by the panel to have started the DC SA was bestowed upon Strange Adventures 9 (06/51). The reason being, according to Schwartz, was that the book marked the origin & 1st appearance of Captain Comet, who appeared as the main character of the cover & story of the book in question. It appeared a full 4 years before Tec 225 & lasted until issue 49.

That is sound logic, and I love how in The Golden Age, he's accorded the status of First Silver Age Super-hero. 893applaud-thumb.gif

One more time for the world, 1951 is not GA.

That is sound logic, and I love how in The Golden Age, he's accorded the status of First Silver Age Super-hero. 893applaud-thumb.gif

One more time for the world, 1951 is not GA.

THE Golden Age, as in the 4-issue mini, TPB, story by James Robinson, art by Paul Smith, etc.

I'm glad to see that all the Marvel people who never read DC's and know nothing about them have such strong feelings on the subject (not specifically directed at you FF).

I've read lots of DCs, I just don't actively collect them.

Since Avengers #1 is the first grouping of Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Ant-Man, & Wasp; than it must follow that Avengers #1 should be worth more than either JIM #83, TOS #39, Hulk #1, or TTA #27.

The Avengers are most definitely not a grouping together of the premiere Marvel characters. If they had tossed Spider-Man, the Human Torch, and Daredevil in there, then maybe. Justice League reads like a list of the most popular DC characters ever, but the Avengers doesn't.

Mostly, the absence of Spider-Man is what makes it an apples-to-oranges comparison. Hard to say what the title would have done with him in it...I can say that I might be collecting it if he had been! But the lineup is mostly vanilla B or C list characters, and I can't get into it because of that.

A-list = Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men

B-list = Hulk, Thor, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Captain America, Fantastic Four, Flash

C-list = Ant-Man, Martian Manhunter, Wasp, Giant-Man.

I'm glad to see that all the Marvel people who never read DC's and know nothing about them have such strong feelings on the subject

We're just hungry to learn about those wonderful, wonderful DCs!!! 893whatthe.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif That was a good deal! Sold in Aug.. Ask GPA.

The last 8.0 went for 3,579 Dec.

It was on eBay. I remember seeing the book. Book had a high starting bid! hi.gif

The Avengers are most definitely not a grouping together of the premiere Marvel characters. If they had tossed Spider-Man, the Human Torch, and Daredevil in there, then maybe.

Daredevil ? Nowadays maybe, but definitely C list before about 1980. Didn't they seriously moot merging Daredevil & Iron Man into the same book around the mid to late 70's ?

I'm glad to see that all the Marvel people who never read DC's and know nothing about them have such strong feelings on the subject

We're just hungry to learn about those wonderful, wonderful DCs!!! 893whatthe.gif

Go out and buy the following SA DC archives - Flash 1, GL 1, JLA 1, Atom 1, Hawkman 1 and LSH 1. Probably cost you around $200 and you might be pleasantly surprised. makepoint.gif

i don't really see how showcase #4 can be disputed. You may not like it, but it still is the first original super hero creation specifically created to test the waters to see if super hero's would sell again. Its the start of the lineage. BB28 is a great book, but not as important as SC4. confused-smiley-013.gif

It is hard to gauge (and price) Historical Significance vs. Supply and Demand.

On FF#1 vs AF#15 obviously Demand won out over Historical Significance due to AF #15 being worth more.

As far as SC#4 vs B&B#28 is concerned, Overstreet puts a high value on SC #4 being the book that started the Silver Age. Demand may be very high on B&B #28, but if the supply is so low that no sales are recorded, little to no price increases happen. How can Overstreet raise the price on B&B #28 if none are selling?!? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif He cannot raise prices on "what if's" and conjecture, only documented sales.

Timely