• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Astronomical Sales for Comic Keys

51 posts in this topic

I need to comment on the sale of FF 112 for $24000.00, Wow!! No doubt this is an exceptional copy, but 24 G. This will send ripples through the high grade collecting industry. Kudos to Doug for the sale, but I fear a new standard has been set that will keep many collectors from ever obtaining HG key issues. I was shocked a few years ago when Doug sold his FF 55 9.9 Boston copy for 16 G, what is worth now 40 G?

Something to think about!

This will send ripples through the high grade collecting industry. Kudos to Doug for the sale, but I fear a new standard has been set that will keep many collectors from ever obtaining HG key issues.

I think it's an anomaly. I would be willing to wager that another 9.8, or the resale of this book wouldn't yeild the same results. The market for 24K FF 112s may just be two people, and now one of them is out of the equation.

And last I checked, 9.4s and 9.2s are still readily attainable, and considering that this book started out in a 9.4 holder, that's definetly the range where people in the market for a HG copy should be looking.

I think it's an anomaly. I would be willing to wager that another 9.8, or the resale of this book wouldn't yeild the same results. The market for 24K FF 112s may just be two people, and now one of them is out of the equation.

We all thought the Amazing Fantasy CGC 9.4 that sold three years ago for $200,000 was an anomaly, too--myself included--but what it ended up doing is itself starting a trend. I agree with you though, FF 112 isn't in enough demand to draw anywhere near this price a second time, or certainly with any consistency.

We all thought the Amazing Fantasy CGC 9.4 that sold three years ago for $200,000 was an anomaly, too--myself included--but what it ended up doing is itself starting a trend. I agree with you though, FF 112 isn't in enough demand to draw anywhere near this price a second time, or certainly with any consistency.

Wait until the next three, four or five show up on the market. You will definitely see a down turn in price.

Seeing how it is the ONLY 9.8 on the census and no longer on the market and there are certainly multiple parties who are trying to put 9.8 sets together, and since it also is a desirable key issue, I don't see how everyone is so quick to dismiss the sale as an anomaly.

For example, I would bet if the Rocky Mountain copy came through Comiclink and it was a 9.8, the price would even be higher.

This book has been very much in demand for a long time. Its not like someone has a 9.8 that they have been waiting to spring on the market. This book would have brought 10,000 for the past couple of years. For most people, that would have been enough to draw the book out.

Now if 3 more copies suddenly appear on the census in the next couple of months, the price could certainly drop. I just don't think it is going to happen. This book is too tough, just like Avengers #57.

Now if 3 more copies suddenly appear on the census in the next couple of months, the price could certainly drop. I just don't think it is going to happen. This book is too tough, just like Avengers #57.

Seeing as how this book started out as a 9.4, 24K may be enough incentive for people to look closely at their 9.4 or 9.6 copies, or at raw HG copies they may have. I realize pressing isn't some sort of magical process, but 24K may cause a lot of people to "dig deep" and look closely at the high grade copies they own. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect to see at least a couple of more "white border beauties" to pop up in the near future.

they would definitely have to be white border beauties with that all black spine. God it pisses me off how cgc rewards books like that.

The solution is to be as picky as possible in buying well centered copies, and not with page quality as so many bronze collectors are.

Properly cut books will inherit the earth. ;)

they would definitely have to be white border beauties with that all black spine. God it pisses me off how cgc rewards books like that.

I remember purposefully looking for those type of books back in the 70s, rather than the well-centered ones, because they hid the wear better. ;)

This book has been very much in demand for a long time. Its not like someone has a 9.8 that they have been waiting to spring on the market. This book would have brought 10,000 for the past couple of years. For most people, that would have been enough to draw the book out.

Though I agree with all of that, this sale was still anomaly. If no more copies pop up and this book goes back up for sale again as the only 9.8 copy, it almost certainly will not sell for $24K. The $10K you mentioned--probably so, and I wouldn't be shocked by a price all the way up to $15K. But $24K? That puts it at the same sales level as Giant-Size X-Men #1, X-Men #94, and Green Lantern #76, and there isn't enough demand to keep it at that level.

This sale is from new comics money that's either ignorant or is so rich they don't care about buys that don't exceed $30K or so. There have been a bunch of anomalous sales like it recently, such as the JIM #124 CGC 9.6 that just went for $3500--just absolutely ignorant and insane.

Darn it, I saw 'Comic Keys' in the thread title, and was hoping for a Dupcak thread. :sorry:

+1

That is hella funny, I was thinkin' the same, I even went to get some coffe..

Darn it, I saw 'Comic Keys' in the thread title, and was hoping for a Dupcak thread. :sorry:

yes, i'd prefer another thread about danny as opposed to another thread about this book.

Dupcak threads rock, because there is a good chance he'll show up to defend his 'good name'. He won't show up in a Robojo thread, because *cough* that's not him *cough*. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go start one now. :D

yes, i'd prefer another thread about danny as opposed to another thread about this book.

Dupcak threads rock, because there is a good chance he'll show up to defend his 'good name'. He won't show up in a Robojo thread, because *cough* that's not him *cough*. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go start one now. :D

Is it true Dupcak once ate an entire box of cereal in one sitting, the guy is a madman!