• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions

538 posts in this topic

I guess you'll really be pissed to find out that "ginormous" is now accepted by some dictionaries. :eek:

You owe me for the hole I just put in my drywall. I guess "ain't" is also accepted? I mean, people use it and people are always right, so it must be a word.

I'm on your side, Andy. But, it is what it is.

I think you're confused. Didn't you just tell me to go write a dictionary?

You accused Rick of making up a word, which he didn't. I pointed that out. I did not make a value judgment as to the use of that word in conversation, particularly conversation with the erudite denizens of this message board, paragon of etymological virtue that it is.

I did consult wikipedia :insane:

What's fair is bound to vary from person to person.

I can only say what I would do if I were the professional providing the service.

If I damaged the book:

First, I certainly would not submit it to CGC with out a discussion with the owner first.

Second, I would not charge for the services including the submission fees.

Third, I would offer to buy the book at the GPA high value of it's original slabbed grade, (8.0) or pay the difference between the 7.5 average and 8.0 high. I'm saying the GPA high because I would feel obligated to cover all possible monetary gain of the only actual high grade.

Since 9.0 was never guaranteed or achieved, I don't see any real reason the customer should be compensated for a 9.0 book. As has been said, the customer has to be responsible for some of the risk here. Unless of course there was a guarantee provided, which I'm sure there was not.

That being said, I don't think it would be out of the question to settle somewhere between the 8.0 value and the 9.0 value. Since based on the service provider's evaluation, the book was a possible 9.0.

If the book was damaged by CGC, I would cover the value of the book as an 8.0 or the difference between 7.5 and 8.0, and handle the claim with CGC. If CGC decided to compensate for the 9.0 book (assuming the value claimed on the sub-form was for a 9.0 or more) I would then pass the remainder not yet paid to the customer on to the customer.

What's fair is bound to vary from person to person.

I can only say what I would do if I were the professional providing the service.

If I damaged the book:

First, I certainly would not submit it to CGC with out a discussion with the owner first.

Second, I would not charge for the services including the submission fees.

Third, I would offer to buy the book at the GPA high value of it's original slabbed grade, (8.0) or pay the difference between the 7.5 average and 8.0 high. I'm saying the GPA high because I would feel obligated to cover all possible monetary gain of the only actual high grade.

Since 9.0 was never guaranteed or achieved, I don't see any real reason the customer should be compensated for a 9.0 book. As has been said, the customer has to be responsible for some of the risk here. Unless of course there was a guarantee provided, which I'm sure there was not.

That being said, I don't think it would be out of the question to settle somewhere between the 8.0 value and the 9.0 value. Since based on the service provider's evaluation, the book was a possible 9.0.

If the book was damaged by CGC, I would cover the value of the book as an 8.0 or the difference between 7.5 and 8.0, and handle the claim with CGC. If CGC decided to compensate for the 9.0 book (assuming the value claimed on the sub-form was for a 9.0 or more) I would then pass the remainder not yet paid to the customer on to the customer.

^^

I'll tell you what I would have done if it was me.

I would have kept my mouth shut after scoring on 28 other books instead of moaning about 1 book that got damaged.

It's true what they say, you can never please some people all the time and this situation proves it to a tee. doh!

This began with a simple question about the value of a book. I don’t believe I mentioned any details of a settlement. I also believe I never said anything negative about Matt’s work or his failure to negotiate in good faith. As for assuming the risk of damage during the pressing process, who says I didn’t. The simple fact is that CI NEVER said they damaged my book. Based on the inputs from this board, I reached the conclusion that the damage was caused at CI and agree that the settlement should be based on 8.0. That was the purpose of my threadn. As for why I would have ever expected a settlement for a 9.0. Due to the fact that Matt shipped the book to CGC, any participation they may have in a settlement is wrapped into Matt’s offer. He is their front man. As I have said all along, in the absence of any admission from CI as to damage in the pressing process, it could be assumed the damage occurred at CGC. I also believe that there is a reasonable expectation that the book would have been considered a 9.0 by CGC. Certainly Matt’s projected grade would have been as valid as any one of you submitting a raw book. Since I am addressing CGC thru Matt, this was my point of contention.

As for my greed, you’d have to ask Matt about that.

Forgive me if I move on now.

Not very long ago there was a post on these Boards where the poster had a Watchmen #1 prescreened by an unnamed expert and complained that he didn't

get the desired grade. The boards trashed this guy, deservedly so. IMHO this post deserves no better. I can't believe I wasted my time reading this thread when all along Matt had offered an appropriate resolution. What was the problem that needed board input ? No way should Matt or anybody pay for a 9.0. This is a bad case of greed. Somebody close this thread, please.

Not very long ago there was a post on these Boards where the poster had a Watchmen #1 prescreened by an unnamed expert and complained that he didn't

get the desired grade. The boards trashed this guy, deservedly so. IMHO this post deserves no better. I can't believe I wasted my time reading this thread when all along Matt had offered an appropriate resolution. What was the problem that needed board input ? No way should Matt or anybody pay for a 9.0. This is a bad case of greed. Somebody close this thread, please.

Simple and to the point.

I would love to know what the other 28 books were and how much more money was to be made from them :whistle:

This began with a simple question about the value of a book. I don’t believe I mentioned any details of a settlement. I also believe I never said anything negative about Matt’s work or his failure to negotiate in good faith. As for assuming the risk of damage during the pressing process, who says I didn’t. The simple fact is that CI NEVER said they damaged my book. Based on the inputs from this board, I reached the conclusion that the damage was caused at CI and agree that the settlement should be based on 8.0. That was the purpose of my threadn. As for why I would have ever expected a settlement for a 9.0. Due to the fact that Matt shipped the book to CGC, any participation they may have in a settlement is wrapped into Matt’s offer. He is their front man. As I have said all along, in the absence of any admission from CI as to damage in the pressing process, it could be assumed the damage occurred at CGC. I also believe that there is a reasonable expectation that the book would have been considered a 9.0 by CGC. Certainly Matt’s projected grade would have been as valid as any one of you submitting a raw book. Since I am addressing CGC thru Matt, this was my point of contention.

As for my greed, you’d have to ask Matt about that.

Forgive me if I move on now.

?????????

The damage on the left side where it looks like paper removed suggests 2 things to me.

1. tape stuck to the cover by accident

2. When pressing the heat paper to stop items from sticking to the press has shifted and it got damaged by the press. I have seen this happen multiple times when I was working at a media services department.

I would love to know what the other 28 books were and how much more money was to be made from them :whistle:

When I see one book come into the lime light like this, and then realize that there are 28 more manipulated books behind it...am I the only one that just wants to vomit at the thought of it all?

I guess you'll really be pissed to find out that "ginormous" is now accepted by some dictionaries. :eek:

You owe me for the hole I just put in my drywall. I guess "ain't" is also accepted? I mean, people use it and people are always right, so it must be a word.

I'm on your side, Andy. But, it is what it is.

I think you're confused. Didn't you just tell me to go write a dictionary?

You accused Rick of making up a word, which he didn't. I pointed that out. I did not make a value judgment as to the use of that word in conversation, particularly conversation with the erudite denizens of this message board, paragon of etymological virtue that it is.

Sorry, but irregardless isn't a word. Merriem-webster can suck a nut.

http://www.merriamwebstercansuckanut.com/

Stop listenting to merriam-webster, and start listening to hot Russian blondes,