• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for opinions

538 posts in this topic

it's probably been pressed into that condition. And if I wait long enough I'll probably see it again with a higher grade.

Not sure if you realize this, but every single collector who ever bought high grade comics prior to 2000 when CGC started faced a far more hostile jungle of greed and deception due to an escalation in slight color touch, wet cleaning, and trimming than we do today living with the possibility that any given book we're looking at has been pressed. Compared to the risk and greed that ran rampant in the 1980s and 1990s, the whole pressing scene today has to look like a comparative utopia to older collectors. :cloud9:

Very good observation and I agree.

do you all want me to close this thread :insane:

It's more effective if you turn back, over the back seat, wave your finger at us and shout "Don't make me close this thread." At least that's how it worked best for my dad . . .

My mom was packin' heat. She had flyswatters. :cry:

I thought my mom was the only one who did that. Car trips got a lot quieter after she started keeping a fly swatter in the glove compartment.

Forgive me for bailing, but I have too many other things to do. Feel free to PM.

Joe

we forgive you; we only wish you'da bailed 35 pages ago.

You know, the more I think about it. I wish he had bailed even prior to that.

It sucks his book was damaged, and I feel for him or any collector that has a book damaged.

But the more I re-read some of this thread, the less empathy I have for him. As Matt pointed out he scored very well on the 28 or 29 books he submitted. One was damaged. He was offered a very fair, by any account, compensation for the damage. He declined and asked for additional compenstation that wasn't due, by any standard I am aware of. Unless you consider punitive damages, but since there is no evidence to support intentional damage by Matt, and it would be ridiculous to assume there was, his stance was unreasonable.

Then it appears when he wasn't satisfied with the offer of compenstation he attempted to "extort" or "coerce" Matt into agreeing to the additional compensation by threatening to take the matter public onto the CGC boards.

He claims he just wanted opinions of whether or not he was entitled to 9.0 compenstation for the damage, but deflected 20 pages of assertions that he wasn't entitled to any more than was being offered.

Seems to me it is more likely that "here to lern" was seeking validation that he was right to take this ill-advised tactic with Matt.

Hopefully he has "lerned" the error of his ways.

Did I miss anything? Or does this about cover it?

Not sure if you realize this, but every single collector who ever bought high grade comics prior to 2000 when CGC started faced a far more hostile jungle of greed and deception due to an escalation in slight color touch, wet cleaning, and trimming than we do today living with the possibility that any given book we're looking at has been pressed. Compared to the risk and greed that ran rampant in the 1980s and 1990s, the whole pressing scene today has to look like a comparative utopia to older collectors. :cloud9:

Okay, I'm going to ask about this one because I truly don't get it.

Consider the entire spectrum from "selling" on one end to "buying" on the other end. Okay? The OP mentioned his experience with the "selling" end after being gone for a decade. Sold a book for $1K and saw it quickly bumped 3 notches and go for $7K (or something like that). Do you think that was a "fun" experience for him? Made him "happy" as a collector to see that?

Then the other end of the spectrum, "buying"... some collector paid $6K more dollars for his $1K book. Why it that "fun" for a collector to do? To pay 7X over what the book went for due to reversible-nano-defects being reworked? Is that time for the happy-dance? Fun city?

I can understand crack out gamers doing backflips. It's gotta be sweet. But all that cash-ola isn't just falling from the sky, even though it might seem that way. Someone's footing the bill. How is it fun for them?

wow, go shoot ball for 2 hours, come back and a thread I figured to be dead is 17 pages longer

+1, but it was more like all day for me.

Yikes, cliff notes please.

Everything hunky dory?

wow, go shoot ball for 2 hours, come back and a thread I figured to be dead is 17 pages longer

Everything hunky dory?

You're still a dork and I am still a cotton-headed ninny muggins, so (shrug)

Forgive me for bailing, but I have too many other things to do. Feel free to PM.

Joe

It sucks his book was damaged, and I feel for him or any collector that has a book damaged.

But the more I re-read some of this thread, the less empathy I have for him. As Matt pointed out he scored very well on the 28 or 29 books he submitted. One was damaged. He was offered a very fair, by any account, compensation for the damage. He declined and asked for additional compenstation that wasn't due, by any standard I am aware of. Unless you consider punitive damages, but since there is no evidence to support intentional damage by Matt, and it would be ridiculous to assume there was, his stance was unreasonable.

Then it appears when he wasn't satisfied with the offer of compenstation he attempted to "extort" or "coerce" Matt into agreeing to the additional compensation by threatening to take the matter public onto the CGC boards.

He claims he just wanted opinions of whether or not he was entitled to 9.0 compenstation for the damage, but deflected 20 pages of assertions that he wasn't entitled to any more than was being offered.

Seems to me it is more likely that "here to lern" was seeking validation that he was right to take this ill-advised tactic with Matt.

:golfclap:

Thanks Bill you just saved me hours of reading to probably type out the same thing.

No need for me to pile on Joe with my opinions because it sounds like he and Matt have settled the issue, which is good to hear.

Everything hunky dory?

At least I know who Sam Elliot is.

:acclaim:

Joe

You are correct Bill (thumbs u

Joe

:golfclap:

Thanks Bill you just saved me hours of reading to probably type out the same thing.

No need for me to pile on Joe with my opinions because it sounds like he and Matt have settled the issue, which is good to hear.

Yeah, but there are a few pearls before swine tucked in amongst the hennyclucking.

It was a joke, the other day I was talking to Jim about what we were making for supper and I guess he does not like seafood because it made him throw up.

We made pan seared scallops( in olive oil and clarified butter) with a roasted tomato jalapeno cream sauce. With a mango, oinion avacado pico.

We liked it!

It was a joke, the other day I was talking to Jim about what we were making for supper and I guess he does not like seafood because it made him throw up.

We made pan seared scallops( in olive oil and clarified butter) with a roasted tomato jalapeno cream sauce. With a mango, oinion avacado pico.

We liked it!

Sounds great - I'm hungry now!

Everything hunky dory?

and that's a name that proves that Will Ferrell is good for something.

elf712357fcra1.jpg

Id like to offer a comment and a congratulations and a sense of wonder, awe and amazement at one small aspect of this cluster-thread:

2/3rd the way in came the first mention of NOD.

and it was also the ONLY mention of NOD!

(until this of course) But thats never happened before around here? Progress? an oversight or mistake? Or are the usual suspects who fuel the NOD mashups all out at the beach?

As for the case at hand, I feel that if Matt has to pay up when he botches a book, he oughtta get a piece of the profits for each book he improves! A minimum flat fee against a % of the gains.

Digest that!