• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicArt Con

12 posts in this topic

Looking at the picture of Carbonaro....somebody must have slipped something into his drink...I have never seen that guy sit still for a minute. He looks positively serene in that shot.

C

The Con was about 8 miles away from where I live - a very quick trip getting out there in the morning on Sunday, but the traffic getting back to the city was ridiculous.

It was in a single, decent-sized room at a hotel in NJ. I was told that this was bigger than the room the first time around, which must have been very cramped as this room was not huge by any stretch.

Bechara, Conrad, Will Gabri-El, Anthony Snyder and Hans Kosenkranius were among the larger dealers that set up. Frank Giella was also there with 4 or 5 Bronze ASM covers (#88, 131, 140, 169 and maybe one more) and a lot of other stuff as well. Joe Veteri was there with the ASM #147 cover. Jim Cardillo had the Cap 117 (1st Falcon) cover with him which we all admired. Albert Moy dropped by with some art - a nice Mignola Hellboy painting, the repaired splash page to FF #5 and some other stuff. Nick Katradis was there - I talked with him and Albert at some length about the recent Grailpages book (bottom line: there are things they would have done differently but thought it was well done overall).

I heard of a few sales and one trade that occurred by the time I left around 2pm, but, on the whole, I think most people were there to browse and to socialize.

The next show is going to be in September.

I'm bummed I haven't been able to make either of the first two shows. September is a tough month for me but I definitely want to check out this show soon. Joe and Dan are good guys and it seems like a great opportunity to see lots of impressive stuff.

The show was even better then the last one. The room was bigger, the aisles wider, the ceiling higher. There were more vendors, more attendees, and more art then you could shake a stick at. We mean piles of it! There were portfolios stacked on top of each other and more gems displayed on wall racks this side of San Diego. It was a sight to see!

Here is a link to some pictures from the day. We hope you enjoy them. http://cafurl.com?i=12624

There are so many more collectors out there that live between Boston and DC that have yet to make an appearance at Comic Art Con. Our next and final Comic Art Con for 2009 will be held September 27, (same hotel, same big room), so please mark your calendar. Also consider getting a table and setting up. We had three people who were in attendance for the first con but for the second one had tables. We would love to see more of that but space is tight and we only have room to add an additional 3 tables to the floor so if you are leaning towards setting up please let us know asap. Whether you set up behind a table or join us as an attendee, we hope you will be able to attend.

On another note, mega-collector Tom Fish, so distraught at not attending Comic Art Con has vowed to make an appearance at the September 27 show. With him will be the complete book to the best selling comic book in history, Jim Lee & Scott Williams' X-Men 1. He may even bring a few other goodies as well. Be sure to check out his CAF to see just a few of his monster pieces!

Dan & Joe

The Con was about 8 miles away from where I live - a very quick trip getting out there in the morning on Sunday, but the traffic getting back to the city was ridiculous.

It was in a single, decent-sized room at a hotel in NJ. I was told that this was bigger than the room the first time around, which must have been very cramped as this room was not huge by any stretch.

Bechara, Conrad, Will Gabri-El, Anthony Snyder and Hans Kosenkranius were among the larger dealers that set up. Frank Giella was also there with 4 or 5 Bronze ASM covers (#88, 131, 140, 169 and maybe one more) and a lot of other stuff as well. Joe Veteri was there with the ASM #147 cover. Jim Cardillo had the Cap 117 (1st Falcon) cover with him which we all admired. Albert Moy dropped by with some art - a nice Mignola Hellboy painting, the repaired splash page to FF #5 and some other stuff. Nick Katradis was there - I talked with him and Albert at some length about the recent Grailpages book (bottom line: there are things they would have done differently but thought it was well done overall).

I heard of a few sales and one trade that occurred by the time I left around 2pm, but, on the whole, I think most people were there to browse and to socialize.

The next show is going to be in September.

I had fun at the show, although I only stayed an hour or so. Very nice to see so many folks that we all know from this hobby in one room! There was some nice art of course, and it's nice to see personal collections up as well.

Ride out of NYC was fine, but I agree the ride back was torture. Will probably go again next time, but that commute back is definitely something that will detract from it for me. Took me a little over an hour to drive 8 miles.

Agreed about the traffic. I encountered traffic both ways - mostly getting in and out of NYC. It is a short distance, but the traffic was very bad this weekend.

Notwithstanding the traffic, it was a fun show. It was great to meet many new people mentioned in the other e-mails but sadly, I didn't get to meet everyone who was at the show. It also was very nice to meet (although we had previously corresponded via e-mails) Mr. Comic Coffin himself, Eric Kraus, who is writing a great new book illustrated by Rudy Nebres. Eric brought in some of the OA from that book, and it was just amazing how Rudy has honed his craft over the years.

It was also nice to see some old familiar faces and great collectors, Philip Churchill, Hari Naidu, Nick Katradis, Anthony Snyder, Beshara Maaloff, and many others.

Finally, it was great to meet the show's hosts, Dan and Joe. I'd bought one of my favorite pieces of art from Dan a couple of years ago and it was great to see that he was just as nice in person as he was via the e-mail.

It was a fun show and the first of its kind that I've attended. Since it is the only show exclusively dedicated to this hobby, it certainly saves you the leg work of walking around a large forum (let's say, the Javitz center) to look for a particular seller or kind of art.

Best regards everyone.

- Artemis