• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CHEW, from Image Comics
1 1

6,765 posts in this topic

I have a heartbreaking story that turns out good about Chew #1 and me...

I started collecting comics in 1991 to about 1994 and didn't start up again till last June. That is the month Chew came out and I went to my now regular LCS and picked up Chew and a bunch of other comics. I decided to put Chew down and buy these new things to me called variants. I did this about 3 more times and then on my 4th time realized it was sold out.

It took me till #3 to finally realized what I did..I went on feebay and bought #1 , #2, #3 and 2nd print of #1 for about $45. I sent Chew #1 in to CGC two months ago and it came back 9.8 :headbang: Just sent #2 in and hoping for the same results.

Thanks for letting me vent I feel better now--eventhought I should of bought all the copies at my LCS I did get a great deal for a 9.8.

Now I have Chew in my pull list--its a great story

I just lucked out and ordered 5 copies of Chew through Previews. It looked cool. I read it and decided I'd collect it. I have mix emotions on its popularity since it's costing me an arm and a leg for high grade CGC's. I did realize a few days after the release that it was hot but I went to no less than a dozen LCS and not one had ordered it.

Edited by branget

I think the Chew Market is huge right now-- if this one sells for $275..then a 9.8 SS would prob get $350..I am just happy I got my 9.8 already :cloud9:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chew-1-First-Print-CGC-9-8_W0QQitemZ270539384974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efd67688e

And what's your guess for a 9.9? hm

I think it's a one time auction. Ego and Tax refunds at work.

Most likely you are right..it is funny how people get into bidding wars and before they know it they "won" a comic for almost double what the market is.

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/Chew-1-First-Print-CGC-9-8_W0QQitemZ270539384974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efd67688e

What do you guys think about the 51 bids--seems like two people where really going after it.. hm

bid history showed 3 bidders- all with fewer than 20 feedback

For what it's worth, the winner of the 9.8 has been a member since '03. The low feedback guy who threw in one bid at the end was from Asia (even though I clearly state U.S. and Canada only).

The other bidder, who won the 9.6, actually retracted a bid of $280. The reason given was that he couldn't contact me. I was certainly available and answering questions.

These prices seem to be a fluke and unsustainable on the surface, but I wonder. It seems to me that amount of first print #1's up for auction (both raw and graded) has decreased over the past several months. I expected to see a pile of 9.8's go up after my auction ended, but it hasn't happened yet.

The tax refund theory probably is a factor, but these last two auctions have had enough motivated players to spark bidding wars. It seems too soon to make a call. I'm very curious to see how the next couple 9.8's end up.