• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GUESS THE GRADE

30 posts in this topic

Problems I see other than the bend (I know, I know... a real life of the party) are:

1) Rubbing (possible moisture damage) in lower left corner;

2) Ink dots (are these production splatters) of blue above and yellow below the "girl, gladiator... etc." caption;

3) A white dot on Batroc's knee that also has a slightly larger ring of darker purple around it (moisture after or during Production?).

The book is definately a harsh graded 9.0 which is why I posted it in a guess the grade. In response to your observations 1) there is no moisture damage in the lower lef corner. 2) There is a production splatter but this shouldn't effect the grade because it was done during production. 3) The dot on Bartoc's knee was on the scanner bed it is not on the book.

Eric

Problems I see other than the bend (I know, I know... a real life of the party) are:

1) Rubbing (possible moisture damage) in lower left corner;

2) Ink dots (are these production splatters) of blue above and yellow below the "girl, gladiator... etc." caption;

3) A white dot on Batroc's knee that also has a slightly larger ring of darker purple around it (moisture after or during Production?).

The book is definately a harsh graded 9.0 which is why I posted it in a guess the grade. In response to your observations 1) there is no moisture damage in the lower lef corner. 2) There is a production splatter but this shouldn't effect the grade because it was done during production. 3) The dot on Bartoc's knee was on the scanner bed it is not on the book.

Eric

Thanks for answering my observations. Not having a scanner, I'm not always aware of how an artifact will show up.

I didn't think the LLC had moisture damage, but it has kind of that look to it at first blush.

Again, nice book!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

So...if you eric WAS going to resubmit the book, would he be well-advised to 'straighten out' the URC bend? Since it doesn't break color, it seems like a careful straightening of that bend would be a good move...? (Especially if that bend is among the graders' notes?)

One thing that no one ever mentions when deciding that the book looks undergraded is:

ANYTHING WRONG WITH THE INTERIOR.

There is no way to know if there is a small chip out of an interior page or two.

That's why you CAN"T judge scans or even a book after it's been SLABBED. Many flaws are hidden.

Don't sell it Eric! Don't Sell!

Red

Red your the man! Your posts have definately made me feel alot better and as for this TOS #76 it is not for sale at any price. My grandmother bought it for me for this years Christmas gift and she's 88 this monday. I will keep this one.

Eric

Glad to be of help Eric. And if you do sell it, I'm tellin' your Granny! thumbsup2.gif

Drop me a PM if you ever get the urge to sell your whole collection again. I'll talk you out of it!

You told your grandmother exactly what you wanted, and she paid for it. Right? Right??? Because if she picked that out herself....Good Lord. I might have to tell my wife that I'm leaving her for an older woman...

If my grandmother picked a comic out for me unassisted, I'm guessing it would probably be Little Lotta or something equally cutting edge.

Can I be adopted by your grandmother (both mine are dead... one this past year and one over 70 years ago... wow... I hadn't realized the disparity)?

My wife did find a Fine (or so) copy of FF #51 for $2 at a flea market, so I guess I can't complain too loudly.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan