• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bindery Spine Ripples

6 posts in this topic

Ok,...we all know CGC doesn't deduct for production defects like overspray or even production creases (or at least deduct much)....but what about bindery stress marks that were caused in production....those little ripples and waves that you see on books sometimes near the staples ...they are not really stress marks more like a bunching of the paper when the staples are applied.....I was going through a bunch of unread ,overstock Bronze/Silver books today and I passed on any that had them.......Can a book still be considered a NM with this flaw?.... and if not how is this different from a book that would grade a 9.4 (or 9.6 even) with a production crease?

Can a book still be considered a NM with this flaw

Yes, lots of squarebounds have this and I've seen CGC give copies with ripples at least 9.4. I've got a CGC 9.4 copy of GS X-Men #2 with these kinds of spine glue ripples.

But what about a stapled book?
My 9.8 MF 1 had some wear at the top staple area! shocked.gif

352746-MF%201.JPG

It's hard to see if there was some wear from the staple "stressing" the cover!

589a8ba18cbdb_352746-MF1.JPG.b15dff52dbc40da075490a7fc93b5899.JPG

On second thought, I'm not sure I know what you mean. Got a scan?

I'm not sure it would even show on a scan...and I can't get into my bedroom right now....but it's like the paper gets cinched or gathered by the staple,..kind of like a curtain..