• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most Valuable Marvel or DC Modern?

37 posts in this topic

Excluding Variants.. which Modern era Issue commands the highest price either Raw or slabbed?

Seems to me the most valuable Modern issues are from other Publishing Companies. So from a monetary value stand point how does it go?

Golden Age = DC

Silver Age = Marvel

Modern Age = ?

Are you looking for which COMPANY has more valuable issues en toto, or which company has released the most valuable single book?

I would say DC, on the strength of Sandman (if we go back that far), Preacher, Fables, Y, etc.

Single issue is Marvel, with Ultimate Spiderman #1.

All, of course, in my completely humble opinion...... ;)

Are you looking for which COMPANY has more valuable issues en toto, or which company has released the most valuable single book?

I would say DC, on the strength of Sandman (if we go back that far), Preacher, Fables, Y, etc.

Single issue is Marvel, with Ultimate Spiderman #1.

All, of course, in my completely humble opinion...... ;)

I was pretty much looking for both answers.

I was unsure if Sandman would be considered Modern or Copper.

Honestly I couldn't think of one Marvel Title beyond USM #1 worth decent money.

I think you are correct though.. DC has the bigger stable of valuable modern comics

Indeed, what I find interesting is that in the Modern Era from a dollar standpoint you have to go with non DC / Marvel books and if you do then you definitely have to go with non superhero books.

So it begs the question...

In the Modern Era which Publishing Company has the biggest stable of valuable books?

DC ?

Image?

Any other Indi Publishing Company?

There are actually a handful of Marvel books from the last 15 years that do fairly well...Nyx #3, Marvel Zombies #1....

Image has two super key titles: Walking Dead and Invincible...and thats it.

DC has a couple of standout issues that still sell phenomenally well (and without any real explanation): Birds of Prey #8 (and don't give me that nonsensical "Nightwing and Oracle go on a date" nonsense. Fanboys DO NOT care that someone goes on a date with someone else. It just happened to be a decent crossover for a wildly underprinted book, and it stuck) and Green Arrow #101 (cause Oliver ain't dead.) Harley Quinn (as opposed to Harley Yee) books (Bats Adventures #12, Mad Love, and Batman: Harley Quinn) do ok, too.

IDW has 30 Days of Night...and only then the first mini....and Locke & Key.

And 30 Days of Night is sporadic. I got my NM set off eBay for $31 shipped.

All the "latest hot books" besides the ones already mentioned have all flatlined, and relatively quickly.

Birds of Prey #76, anyone?

How about the Countdown titles?

Green Arrow #1 sells for....?

How's about JSA #23-25?

Hawkman #1?

Anyone for the Hood?

How are those Sentry back issues selling....?

And that belle of the 1999 ball, Aria? Anyone remember when the Armor Sketchbook was selling for $50?

Taking it further back, how's Danger Girl doing? What, you can buy ALL of the regular books, and most of the variants, for less than cover price?

Battlechasers, Crimson, Daredevil, JLA, etc etc etc....

Even though the modern market is filled with very low print run books, the collector base is now so small, it doesn't matter. No demand = no value, utterly regardless of supply.

If we had the collector base that we had in 1993, those books would be $500 books....no foolin'. But we don't, so they're not.

For moderns, I'd say either Dark Horse due to The Goon or Image due to Walking Dead.

Both of these series have rabid followings (based on quality no less!) and have proven themselves to have lasting popularity. Those are factors which indicate an ability to hold value and possibly increase over time.

For moderns, I'd say either Dark Horse due to The Goon or Image due to Walking Dead.

Both of these series have rabid followings (based on quality no less!) and have proven themselves to have lasting popularity. Those are factors which indicate an ability to hold value and possibly increase over time.

No phoney baloney movie hype necessary. (thumbs u

DC has a couple of standout issues that still sell phenomenally well (and without any real explanation): Birds of Prey #8 (and don't give me that nonsensical "Nightwing and Oracle go on a date" nonsense. Fanboys DO NOT care that someone goes on a date with someone else. It just happened to be a decent crossover for a wildly underprinted book, and it stuck) and Green Arrow #101 (cause Oliver ain't dead.) Harley Quinn (as opposed to Harley Yee) books (Bats Adventures #12, Mad Love, and Batman: Harley Quinn) do ok, too.

Are you considering BoP #8 a crossover because Nightwing is in it? It is not a crossover in terms of storyline that I am aware of, so I am curious about your statement. Also, it is a low print run and I disagree with your statement. There are and Babs fans that purchase that issue because they are shippers of this relationship. That is a key reason I believe why this book fluctuates so much on eBay. I have seen it go for a mere $20 upwards to $75.

Excluding Variants.. which Modern era Issue commands the highest price either Raw or slabbed?

Seems to me the most valuable Modern issues are from other Publishing Companies. So from a monetary value stand point how does it go?

Golden Age = DC

Silver Age = Marvel

Modern Age = ?

:bump:

I can't think of anything from the past 10 years that is worth, at most, 3X to 4X cover price. Even those are few and far between.

However, the READING quality in modern books is very good!

Oh - company!

It's too early to see what company today will dominate future values. I'm actually thinking that we may be surprised at the relative average values of companies like Gemstone 10-20 years from now.

Golden Age = DC

Silver Age = Marvel

Modern Age = ?

doh!

Golden Age = DC

Silver Age = Marvel

Modern Age = ?

doh!

I'm here to help bud. You're probably still a bit pickled.

I could've sworn I started a thread somewhere either in Modern or General that listed the highest price modern for each company, but I can't find it. Modern values swing quite a bit, so it's tough to say. While some have held value for a while, WD #1, YTLM #1, USM #1, there are a lot more spikes and drops, so it's tough to say. DC (itself, excluding Vertigo) is really good at putting out a book that jumps up to $8-10 for a month or two then falls to below cover. Marvel is better at once in a while putting out a book that will spike higher and stay a decent price (i.e. higher than cover), like NYX #3. The smaller majors or independents have a better shot at a book taking off, relatively speaking, in that they have smaller print runs usually, but it's harder for a book lacking the big-name superhero universe association to take off.

Golden Age = DC

Silver Age = Marvel

Modern Age = ?

doh!

I'm here to help bud. You're probably still a bit pickled.

Bingo (thumbs u