• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's lies busted again

28 posts in this topic

Put me on the list of not wanting to see Chris' letters every week also. It's not the frequency of letters that bother me but the condesending tone of each one as if he's the only one in comicdom that gets a particular issue. They seem to read like diary entries.....

Jim

..and for CBG to publish each one means:

1) as I said, they just dont get any letters anymore.. or

2) Maggie just has no clue about the whole comics dealer business and thinks this guy is imparting valuable information her readers are clamoring for!!

Then again... her other favorite comics dealer is Chuckles the Clown.

The funny thing is the guy used to rip dealers with a venegence. Always hyping the fact that he could get comics on the cheap and that comic stores and publishers were gouging customers. Now that he deals also, you don't hear that mantra as much. And on the off letter that he does, he comes off as doing his buyers a favor when they buy from him. 27_laughing.gif

Jim

They seem to read like diary entries.....

That's the nature of monologue. I used to read the CBG letters and still would, but forum dialogue is far superior, so I stopped. It's sometimes unsatisfyingly frustrating to read just the editor's response to a letter if you agree with the letter writer and disagree with the editor because they've overlooked something... 893frustrated.gif

In reading Chuck's newest articles on how he has tirelessly and single-handedly saved and shaped the comic world time and time again, I caught him in a nice little fib. He really needs to double-check his lies before he send them out for publication.

In his "Evolution of the Direct Market Part VIII" he talks about a) comic cover prices being .40¢ and b) mentions he sent a copy of his recent wholesale invoice to Marvel and that he orders "just under $4,000 for the month".

Yet, contrast that to Brave Chuck risking everything in "Becoming a Marvel Distributor" and we see Chuck worrying because he would have to order thousands more Marvels then he was used to ordering (brave, brave Chuck - risking it all for us collector's), because now Marvel's are magically .30¢ each

(see - he'd have to order more at 30¢ than 40¢) cover price and that Mean 'Ol Marvel's minimum order of $3,000 was "QUITE DAUNTING" because "I was not at that time purchasing $3,000 a month in Marvel comics" (poor, poor Chuck, just struggling to stay afloat).

So which is it Chuck?

Were comics .30¢ or .40¢?

Were your orders just under $4,000 a month, or were you not yet purchasing

$3,000 a month?

Or do you just make up whatever you want to fill space and make you look more heroic?

It takes almost the exact same amount of boks to do $4,000 at .40cents and $3000 at 30 cents.So,twenty years later he doesn't remember exactly how much the cover price was. Only the amount of books he ordered.What was the cost of your lcal paper in 1981? And in 1986? Best get this correct or someone will post what an idiodic liar you are also.

Im a 'Chuck Plucker' here myself, but I have to go with Shad on this one point. We all misremember stuff all the time. Chucks not getting paid for th ecolumn, so if he doesnt care to factcheck stuff like this its his prerogative.

Chuck does enough [!@#%^&^] we cal all agree is over the line and over the top, so we can let this slip as just an error I suppose.