• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's lies busted again

28 posts in this topic

In reading Chuck's newest articles on how he has tirelessly and single-handedly saved and shaped the comic world time and time again, I caught him in a nice little fib. He really needs to double-check his lies before he send them out for publication.

In his "Evolution of the Direct Market Part VIII" he talks about a) comic cover prices being .40¢ and b) mentions he sent a copy of his recent wholesale invoice to Marvel and that he orders "just under $4,000 for the month".

Yet, contrast that to Brave Chuck risking everything in "Becoming a Marvel Distributor" and we see Chuck worrying because he would have to order thousands more Marvels then he was used to ordering (brave, brave Chuck - risking it all for us collector's), because now Marvel's are magically .30¢ each

(see - he'd have to order more at 30¢ than 40¢) cover price and that Mean 'Ol Marvel's minimum order of $3,000 was "QUITE DAUNTING" because "I was not at that time purchasing $3,000 a month in Marvel comics" (poor, poor Chuck, just struggling to stay afloat).

So which is it Chuck?

Were comics .30¢ or .40¢?

Were your orders just under $4,000 a month, or were you not yet purchasing

$3,000 a month?

Or do you just make up whatever you want to fill space and make you look more heroic?

BTW, I do know that a few members (cough, cough) don't like his grading. If you read the Tales of the Database article on "Definition of 'Mint'" you come to understand why his grading is what it is.

My personal favorite from Conclusion of MHII:

"Before you feel entirely sorry for the guy, I need to mention that he did finally figure out a way to burn me on the deal. Three months after the books were delivered at our warehouse, I called him up to let him know that I had, as promised, pulled two copies each of every book in the deal for his kids. There were so many different comics in the deal that pulling just two copies of each comic created a shipment of over 15,000 books. UPS had quoted me a rate of about $550 to ship them to him. Not being completely dim, I asked him to send me the money for the shipping costs up front. Not surprisingly, he had every excuse in the book for why he couldn't send any cash in advance. In all probability, he simply didn't have the money. At that point I had an ethical dilemma. I clearly owed him the books, as I had given my word I would send them to him. He had also promised, however, to pay the freight charges. Since he couldn't send me the money for the freight costs, I could either A) reduce the number of books I was sending him to compensate, or B) go ahead and pay the charges, and simply hope that he would someday reimburse me. Against the advice of my staff, I went with plan B, and sent him all the books at my expense. It should come as no surprise to you that I never ever heard from him again. I asked the stepmother to reimburse me out of her payments, but she just laughed."

Should we all chip in to help? gossip.gif

You know the more I read his articles, the more he becoming the "Forrest Gump" of the comics world. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

27_laughing.gif

(useless icon used to bump this thread as anything that slurs Churck is worth being bumped)

27_laughing.gif

(useless icon used to bump this thread as anything that slurs Churck is worth being bumped)

frown.gifsorry.gif

I feel so unloved. I know we are discussing a different Chuck, but I still feel unloved. sorry.gif

Maybe I should change my name to Chizzuck or Chyuck. frown.gif

NotMH - you're cool with me! flowerred.gif

BTW - if Maggie Thomson is lurking, please note that I agree that you shouldn't publish a new letter from Chris Jurich every single issue. If you do want to hear from him every issue, why not just put in a column for him? Another aside, I do appreciate you publishing my letters and am looking forward to seeing my "Comic Zone" letter in print or my "Getting your Money's Worth" letter printed (btw - the Getting Your Money's Worth" letter is available as a word doc for those interested on my website in the "thoughts on the hobby section)

DAM

BTW - if Maggie Thomson is lurking, please note that I agree that you shouldn't publish a new letter from Chris Jurich every single issue.

i hear you DAM! laugh.gif just got my last few remaining issue today and he was in it again!?! confused.gif893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gifi'm not drinking the haterade, but it's getting frickin ridiculous. insane.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

i wonder why he has never came on here and post? confused.gif i know he must lurk, same with maggie thompson....where are you guys and gals? confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, he lurks alright. Here is a great story about the scum bag, coward , lying thief Chuck Rozanski.

On Christmas I placed an order for ASM CGC comic. With the double discounts it turned out to be a good deal. For some reason his web site would not take my credit card.

The next day I received an email :

This message is to let you know that we are no longer accepting your orders, including your order of 12/25/03.

MileHighComics.com

I responded with this :

Mr. Rozanski-

I received this email below after I placed an order . What the

hell is this about? What type of customer service is this to send me an

email without an explanation. Is this a common business practice to

reject orders without an explanation and tell me that you do not want my

business? I placed an order for ASM 30 CGC 9.2 ( see order below - and

by the way I do not know why it shows an X-men 15 for $0 in there.) It

is not a million dollar comic but it was still a $315 purchase and I

expect to be treated with some professional courtesy. I stopped buying

from Mile High Comics a few years ago because of problems but I decided

to give Mile High another chance. Was that an error? I am totally irate

about this and this is an unacceptable way to treat a customer. I want

to be contacted immediately.

Sincerely,

Tom Kelly

Low and behold - the cretin actually comes out of his hole - he actually emails me back :

Dear Thomas:

While you may have decided to "give us another chance," before you did so you chose to publicly slam us on an online message board. Now that is most certainly your right. It is also our right, however, to take such public criticism seriously. Particularly when I can find no record of your allowing us to rectify any error we might have made in your order before you chose to insult us in a public forum.

Given that you think that we do such a poor job with your last order, we prefer to not take the chance of disappointing you again.

Sincerely,

Chuck Rozanski,

President - Mile High Comics, Inc.

So he does lurk but does not have the spine or the decency to respond to anything. What a complete piece of [!@#%^&^] and a thief. So I decide to send him an email to see if he has any decency whatsoever -

Dear Chuck –

Well, since it comes to this , lets speak plainly. This the way you expect to defend your reputation? If anything , it just solidifies everything that has been said thus far. Do you personally read the thread in the CGC forum ? Do you know what was said and in which thread was it? Point it out and show me. How about this one from me:

What do you think he considers scrutinizing every flaw? We are talking about a difference of something that is listed as near mint but is a fine minus. If that does not bother him , I have a ton of "mile high equivalent" graded near mints that I would be happy to sell him at twice guide so he can put it for 10 times guide on his site. If he advertises something as near mint then it should be near mint or at least close. For god's sake, I ordered a ASM 49 in near mint that had a moisture ring that was so bad that you could make out the lines and lettering of the bottom of Coke bottle it came from. Chuck repeatedly has whined over the years that he has a bad reputation and cannot understand why people do not like him - take a look at his articles in CBG or on this board. For someone who you claim does not care what people think about him, he certainly has cried about it. What he would gain by coming here would be to come clean and try to make some changes. How much business do you think he would gain if he started to actually grade properly? Quite a bit. To continue to grow his business ( and I would not be surprised if his business has declined the past few years) he will have to address the companies short comings. If his customer base is the lower common denominator of collectors then why even bother stocking high grade material or cgc'd books. I'd venture to say that I spend more on comics in one year then his average customer has in their collecting lifetimes. If he gained 100 customers like myself ( that is probably less then a 1/10 of a percent of his total customers) his bottom line could increase significantly as well as positive free advertisement on boards like this. Case in point, I routinely buy on average about $2500 from Showcase per year and that is a low percentage of my total expenditures. Granted, not a million dollars but 100 times that is $250,000 of high margin comics that he does not get every year.

He specifically states on his web site "I'm very proud that I've become one of the leaders in the world of comics.

If he claims to be one of the leaders in the world of comics then he should start acting like one. Practice what you preach.

It is never bad business to defend ones self or even admit there is a problem. If he stuck to the basic business model of consistently offering a quality, in demand product at fair price and with good customer service; then his business would be even larger then it is now.

Is this the thread ? I believe this was my response to follow up posts in response to you or one of your employees. Legitimate businessman and people of character would have responded to at least one post – especially the one above. Metropolis, Comiclink, Highgradecomics all had bad/critical posts about them in one form or another but Vince, Josh, and Bob all came forward to clear the air. You did not. Instead you chose petty methods of rejecting orders without explanation even though it is obvious you were aware of what people were saying. If you saw something in the forum from me that you felt was in error – you should have contacted me as “one of the leaders in the world of comics.” That is unless it was true.

You state that you cannot find any record of allowing you to rectify an error – what do your records show what my last 10 comic purchases were? I would be interested in finding out how good your records are. Let me tell you of the source of my critical posts of you and your company. Of the last comics I ordered, more then half of them graded improperly – all at least 2 grades off. Because grading is subjective and they were not expensive, I let it pass. However , my last order was the final straw – I have never been treated so rudely and so bad by any other comic dealer before. I ordered an ASM 49 that was supposed to be a nm but I received a vg. It was so bad that it had Coke bottle moisture ring that I could make out the indentations of the bottom of the bottle. I called to find out how to return but it was late and , I suppose, close to your closing time. I was told to call back tomorrow which I did. That is understandable but how I was treated the next day was a surprise. The first moment I mentioned I wanted to return the comic I got an attitude. I was told that I was in error because the person on the phone said they saw the comic and it is not possible they were that off in grading. Your employee next questioned me whether I had put the moisture ring on the comic itself. I was told that you would take it back this time but do not bother ordering again if I was going to be “one of those picky collectors.” Before I could respond , he hung up on me. So how would you feel ? Is this a good business practice? I did not pursue it further because it was painfully obvious your employees and you did not care. The last email from your company exemplified that lack of professionalism. There are plenty of other CGC forum members with the same story – terrible over grading and bad customer service responses. That is where my posts come from and your reputation among the larger collectors. Nearly every member of the CGC forum is in the upper echelon of collecting - a huge financial base whose opinions are being ignored. Time and time again there is a story of someone who made a mistake of buying un-graded material from your company. It really would not matter what you charged for your comics if you backed up it up with proper grading. But you don’t. That is why my order was for a CGC comic – why would I take the significant risk and pay a high premium.

Even if you issued a statement not addressing a single thing people had said about you in the CGC forum but rather reaffirmed that you were committed to satisfying customers and striving to continually improve Mile High Comics, people would have respect for you. The way I have been treated by your company and your responses thus far point to that never happening.

In your below email, you state you chose not to disappoint me again. You insult yourself - the only reason you did not process the order is retribution for posts and anger of those posts. Plain and simple. If anything, as “one of the leaders in the world of comics”, you should have realized that a positive experience with your company would have gone along way with a very unsatisfied customer like myself. I am in sales myself and I know that a customer with a bad experience will tell 10 people or more about it and a person with a good experience will only 2 or 3. So with that said, I will see if you have the good business sense and character to respond to my email and make this right. If you do not, then I know exactly where you stand and your opinion of customers who have built your company and let the bad press and poor reputation continue to propagate. I will await your response, if any.

Sincerely,

Thomas Kelly

So there it is , layed out and to the point. The gauntlet thrown down and a chance to refute that he is a common thief for knowingly selling over graded comics to unsuspecting buyers. A chance to be “one of the leaders in the world of comics” and respond to me in a professional manner.

So here is his response -

That's right - nothing.

There you go, a verification from the source that everything that has been said about this POS is true. He does not have the courtesy, business sense, or decency to respond. I guess that really does separate him from all the other true leaders in the comic world - they would have come here to clear the air. His silence is a reminder to everyone that everything is true. The only thing he might try to do is get thread pulled because he has no defense.

So Chuckle Cheeks, I know you are out there braiding your germ laden 1960's pony tail and fuming as you read this thread, you coward. You showed everybody what your true colors are. You are a thief, a coward, scam artist who makes up pedigrees ( Dallas Stephen's and Mile High II - you joke) and a disservice to everyone in the comic business. It is not a surprise, everyone here knows what you are all about.

that's just bad business, confused.gif no matter how much you've been disliked and dissed by the population, you should ALWAYS take their money. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif sorry to hear about the unfortunate situation thomas. sorry.gif

It does not bother me at all, in fact it is funny. I'm going to post it in it's own thread. I ended up picking up X-men 46 9.4 from Metropolis and a X-men 36 9.4 from ComicLink. Man, is he a omplete insufficiently_thoughtful_person or what? 27_laughing.gif

Tomega - thank you for sharing that with us. Personally, I signed up under two different email accounts to get the newsletter so I could be entered into the Jim Lee lotto drawing and I am sorry that I did. Free or not, I shouldn't have supported or tried to partake in anything from MH. frown.gif

DAM

I don't care about ethical issues (at least in the context of this thread).

The irony is in this statement:

" ...he did finally figure out a way to burn me on the deal. "

Let's just leave it at that. There is another thread on this, which should suffice.

Oh man, thanks guys - - thought I was alone in wondering why that tool keeps getting letter printed "updating: us ont he wild eye-opening adventures of a new economy comic dealer! WHO CARES, DUDE!!

I see it as proof that CBG just doesnt GET too many letters anymore!

I skim the paper quicker and quicker every week.