• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What An "Educated Buyer" must know and understand...

198 posts in this topic

Another thing, a well known collector here on the boards and someone I truly respect as a collector told me something that I’m sure has been said a million times but it applies to this hobby most directly and that is, patience is a virtue.

Excellent advice! (thumbs u

I remember years ago someone posted "Never chase a book, let books come to you." It was such an alien concept. Opposite of everything I had done. But it stuck in my brain.

I finally concluded it's the "dealer" approach to acquiring: Have a range of books in mind, have the money, and as the market flows by you can pluck out whatever you're comfortable with. If not, no big deal, more choices will flow by soon.

Thank you for starting and bumping this thread, Davenport.

I was doing a lot of reading on this board earlier in the year and really wish there was a permanent thread for "pre-encapsulation returnees". Even though it took more time, by reading threads about different topics, I learned quite a bit about stuff that was not on my radar.

Specific to buying raw comics in this current environment, everyone should know that "buyer beware" has never been a more important adage. Here's my first bit of advice [1]: operate with your ~Spider senses~ on! If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. On eBay especially, there is a lucrative and apparently stable business for:

a] displaying nice pictures and not committing to a grade (some 'reputable' dealers are now starting to do this!)

b] using the excuse "I'm not a pro grader, but pay me 2x guide for this book" -- honest people will make an effort and answer questions when asked

c] hiding key facts inside the listing. In fact, bijoubaby05 has an ASM #15 "grade 8.5" with a missing page right now! (LINK)

[2] When in doubt, ask for additional information, particularly regarding the hidden (but obvious) defects of missing pieces and moisture damage. (I recently asked for more pictures from a non-eBay dealer about a 'FN/VF' book -- it turned out to have oily moisture stains on inside cover.)

I have a concern that some of these eBay purchases are making their way to the general and local marketplace, so [3] buy only what you like (because you may be stuck with a dubious raw book) and buy at a price that reflects the risk that you are taking on. [4] As that ASM #15 shows, leaf through the pages before buying! Make sure the centerfold and other pages are not missing by checking completeness at www.comics.org (Grand Comics Database)

If all this scares you, then stick to buying low/mid grade copies of non-key issues and buying CGC-graded books. There have been some very good posts in this thread with solid advice about buying slabbed books.

I'm fairly new into the hobby after the big exodus of the 90's. I've been buying hot and heavy for the last 5 or so months and been burned a few times. Here's a few things I've learned that might help.

1. Get a good storage and cataloging system in place if you plan on buying a lot of books. nothing sucks worse than not knowing what you got and where it is.

2. Only use Mylar bags with Full back boards. Last thing you want to do is rebag and board every 5 or so years. The initial investment in the right bags and boards will save a ton of money (time is money) in the long run.

3. Get the Overstreet Grading Guide and LEARN IT. Read the "Grade my comics" sections of the various forums to see how they are graded. It doesn't take long to catch on.

4. When on Ebay, never buy a "Chase" style auction. A Chase auction is basically a lottery where the seller makes you buy "X" # of issues for a "Random" chance at a key book (i.e. Hulk 181, ASM 129, etc). You will get nothing but junk.

5. Never, and I mean Never, buy a issue on ebay or any other auction site that doesn't have scans. Not pictures, but scans.

Going back to the "pressing is restoration" issue - as a newer CGC buyer, I'd like to know a little more about why some people view this this way. Adding pressure to a book to make it lie flat seems like it's technically "restoring it to a previous state of condition". But it's so basic in premise, and derived from a normal method of storage - maybe that's why it's not considered as a 'restorative process' by CGC? I dunno - like I said, I'd like to know more.

I think this is the stock answer: pressing is a form of restoration, albeit the mildest and least invasive (if it's spot/non-disassembly pressing). Using a machine to press and using a long box/stack of encyclopedias to press are not comparable. The machine exerts more pressure than a comic would encounter in any other situation. Also, heat and/or moisture is added when machine pressing, something that does not occur with stacked-up-comics pressing. CGC does not consider it restoration because they cannot detect it 100% of the time, and it was going to be one of the options of their in-house restoration/conservation service.

I always find a great seller whom I trust and stay with them,exclusively.I don't buy big dollar items unless I see the book in hand.I know that's hard to do for some,but it certainly reduces my chances of getting scammed. :)

Parts of this thread confirms what I've suspected for some time: i.e., that collecting GA-BA comic books (especially in grade) has become either too complicated, too costly, or too risky (or some combination of all three) for the average schmoe who can't afford to get fleeced, and likewise doesn't have the time, energy, or inclination to gain a Ph.D. level understanding of market fluctuations, micro-grading criteria, and other forms of esoteric or "hidden" knowledge that many collectors have spent a lifetime advancing and acquiring.

As comic book collecting has clearly evolved far beyond its roots in early comics fandom (where content and simply finding the books generally--though not always--trumped grade), perhaps it's not enough now to simply enjoy the books themselves or "the hunt": it also helps to enjoy the more analytical dimensions of the hobby, too (especially in the higher price brackets). If that kind of "high finance"/micro-economics stuff isn't someone's bag, then chances are this segment of the hobby simply isn't for them...

(worship) Sticky-worthy.

This thread was started in 2009 and has gems scattered throughout (once you get past the mockery and derail stuff), but I wanted to bump this one from mikeyriffhard.

It was like water in the face back in '09, and again re-reading it today.

Spot on and really needs to be considered.

Scattered through the bazillion threads on 'The Game' and it's impact you see sentiments that "buyer's should be educated" before they spend. Here's a recent example quote:

I really don't think of it as buyer beware, but buyer be educated.

It seems reasonable for shoppers to do. But what makes an "educated" shopper?

So starting from the point of now, today, where encapsulation has evolved into what it is, all the fee-based services are what they are, and auction and selling venues are plentiful...

Exactly what does the noob, returning collector, excited fan, or casual collector HAVE to know and understand before reaching for their wallet? (And where do they get all facts and details?)

Maybe slowly this thread will build a thoughtful and serious list someone can use. :wishluck:

So knowing what you know, put yourself in the position of someone new wandering into the marketplace excited to begin a collection. What must they know and be aware of to stay safe while shopping?

What good will this thread do? I guess we are assuming that the rest of the Internet is broken?

Slow day in the Corral and St Louis boards :gossip:

Why don't you contribute something or :censored: off. Maybe share some in depth knowledge about scams. meh

Share some knowledge Kev.You know it all.Just ask you.I see you have been taking charm lessons from Erik lol

c] hiding key facts inside the listing. In fact, bijoubaby05 has an ASM #15 "grade 8.5" with a missing page right now! (LINK)

bijoubaby5 is a piece of **** scumbag scammer who should die in a fire, face-first. if there's any karmic justice in this world, he'd get thrown in jail and have his personal space violated daily

bijoubaby5 is a piece of **** scumbag scammer who should die in a fire, face-first. if there's any karmic justice in this world, he'd get thrown in jail and have his personal space violated daily

Please stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel!

Please stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel!

Yeah, I'd like to, but I can't. F$*#ing filter. But I do hope that one day he ****s with the wrong person and gets a full accounting of his behaviour in person

By a rather well hung african american gentleman named Bubba.