• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: If you were a billionaire, would you drastically overpay for a slab?

If you were a billionaire, would you pay $15,000 for a rare high grade slab you truly felt was only worth $3,000 but you still really wanted it?  

384 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a billionaire, would you pay $15,000 for a rare high grade slab you truly felt was only worth $3,000 but you still really wanted it?

107 posts in this topic

Oh dear. I can see this thread taking on a 100 pages by Friday night.

:eek:

Good luck John.

Rereading it, it does sound harsh. I'm not really sure how to reword it though. I am going to have to re-holder all 8 CGCs which will cost over $100 bucks so I am slightly pissed.

I could leave negatives and file a claim. But this means that this will drag on for well over a month (bugging me the whole time), I will spend hours on it and eventually have to pay to send these CGCs back to Canada (with all the hassles that entails). Not to mention that, with ebay/paypal, there's always the chance that something weird will happen (like the time I mailed a broken CGC to an APO box only to have it re-routed to a civilian address and then have my claim denied so that I ended up with no money and no book but at least got to understand those sellers who will not send to APO boxes).

It just seems easier to nuke it, send them in for fixing, and walk away with the seller hopefully blocking me for my harshness.

It's just not in my nature to smile and take it.

Actually, my comment wasn't made in response to your choice of words for the eBay reply...it was to the open invitation you gave to all the board members to pick it apart for you. The last time a board member did this (ie. CAL on eBay) the thread turned out to be a slam bang body slam fest with no real resolution.

Now-a-days on here it seems that asking for someone's opinion is like insulting their female family members.

Anyhoo...back to the topic at hand.

For me, if I had to deal with as many people as you do I would simply have a folder with a bunch of different replies and would cut and paste whichever apply. It would save you the time of having to type it out everytime and you could word it *just right* the first time and keep a consistent tone.

I used to do this for applications like GPA where autocomplete wouldn't work instead of always typing in the same title ie "X-men, The (1963)" I would simply copy and paste from a word document as needed. I also have similar docs for common eBay questions.

Can't see why you can't apply something like this here. I'm sure 90% of your replies can be covered this way.

R.

Looks likes the "YES" answer has won the poll

After 119 votes, results are:

YES

75 votes

63%

NO

27 votes

23%

CRACK & WHORES

17 votes

14%

So who are these "billionaires" that voted "NO" ? (shrug)

One more thing I thought of today...

If I were a billionaire, I would hire someone to buy up all the 9.8 slabs of key books for me that numbskull fanboys are not buying, for less than the cost of grading.

A Unity #1 gold sold for $11. A plat sold for $17. Wolverine #20 WW texas sold for $15. Ridiculous. These aren't regular, non-key books, here. These are decent variants that are in tip-top condition.

When a RAW Unity #1 gold is BOUGHT for $20, you know something is not quite right.

I'd buy 'em all right up, and then withhold them when people wanted them again. Teach 'em a lesson.

If I were a billionaire, I would hire someone to buy up all the 9.8 slabs of key books for me that numbskull fanboys are not buying, for less than the cost of grading.

A Unity #1 gold sold for $11.

So why do you have to be a billionaire to do this? It's only $11?

If I were a billionaire who collected comics, I would indeed not care about prices and would overpay for the books I wanted.

However, I wouldn't have much time to devote to comics, but rather would be focused on my philanthropic activities - after all, with great wealth comes great responsibility!