• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: If you were a billionaire, would you drastically overpay for a slab?

If you were a billionaire, would you pay $15,000 for a rare high grade slab you truly felt was only worth $3,000 but you still really wanted it?  

384 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a billionaire, would you pay $15,000 for a rare high grade slab you truly felt was only worth $3,000 but you still really wanted it?

107 posts in this topic

With the recent record prices achieved for some books like ASM #50, FF #112, GI Joe #21, Wolverine #1 (1982) and other slabs, there has been a lot of debate over whether this is just very rich people throwing whatever amount of money it takes to get a book they really want, or if it is something different.

But what if it was YOU that was the billionaire.

Would you intentionally overpay just because you REALLY REALLY wanted it?

Im not a Billionaire, and I have been known to throw stupid money at something if I REALLY WANT IT!

If I WAS a billionaire I would throw even more stupid money to get what I WANT!!!

No way would I spend more than what a comic is worth.I bet you would be surprised that most rich people are very frugal with their money,how do you think they got so rich? (shrug)

Lottery?

Inheritance?

Buying a huge collection of high grade GA at cover price off some unsuspecting granny?

No way would I spend more than what a comic is worth.I bet you would be surprised that most rich people are very frugal with their money,how do you think they got so rich? (shrug)

first generation guys who made it = frugal

2nd generation often not so frugal = rehab clinic

Getty was richest man in the world. His son faked his own kidnapping with his "friends" to get money out of the old man. Then his friends thought a real kidnapping would be even better, so they cut off his ear and sent it to the old man

I would probably overspend, but not drastically. And I agree with the statement as to how rich people got so rich.

Because they are hard working hm

Dude, what kind of a question is that? We over pay for slabs and we're not billionaires!

:makepoint:

I would argue if you paid under GPA you have NOT overpaid, especially if you could re-sell it tomorrow for a profit

If my last name was Gates and my first was Bill I would do 1st AND 3rd option! (thumbs u

I would pay stupid money for just about anything that gave me a cheap thrill or a good laugh..hey..I am looking at you money-grubbin supermodels

Dance monkey..DANCE!!!

Getty was richest man in the world. His son faked his own kidnapping with his "friends" to get money out of the old man. Then his friends thought a real kidnapping would be even better, so they cut off his ear and sent it to the old man

1) It was his grandson

2) His "friends" didn't cut off his ear. They sold him to the mob (who cut off his ear).

Dude, what kind of a question is that? We over pay for slabs and we're not billionaires!

:makepoint:

I would argue if you paid under GPA you have NOT overpaid, especially if you could re-sell it tomorrow for a profit

Everybody over pays at some point to get what they want if they want it bad.

I've paid well over GPA and multiples of GPA depending on the book and I'm sure there are many forumites on here that have too. Grails don't come easy.