• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rules with a re-sub

32 posts in this topic

I was looked at a few of my books that have gotten scratched up cases over the years for various reasons and I i made me wonder about re-casing rules.

If I send a book in to get re-cased is CGC obligated to give it the same grade?

I was looked at a few of my books that have gotten scratched up cases over the years for various reasons and I i made me wonder about re-casing rules.

Yes, if it is in an untampered slab and you request a re-holdering rather than a grading. Your book will get new microchamber paper, a new inner well, a new label, and a new outer shell, but will stay the same grade.

Thank you for the answer.

This is a bit of an out there question but what would CGC do is the book within the casing had not been tampered with but had undergone obvious bleaching from the sun or even water damage? Would they simply refuse to do it?

This is a bit of an out there question but what would CGC do is the book within the casing had not been tampered with but had undergone obvious bleaching from the sun or even water damage? Would they simply refuse to do it?

Fire away in the "Ask CGC" forum.

If the book looks to have suffered damage while inside the slab, they will not simply reholder it. They'll regrade it and charge a fee, or if you don't agree to the regrading fee, they'll send the book back to you.

If the book was affected by water or sun (fading and staining) and they were not present when the book was originally slabbed I seriously doubt CGC would just put it in a new holder.

The book would be graded again and a new numerical grade assigned. At that point I think you are between a rock and a hard place.

If you never send it in and the book looks considerably worse than the assigned grade you will have a hard time selling it.

If you send it in to CGC they have may decide the book is no longer a 9.0 and have to assign it a new grade. Not sure how that would work but either way you are in a tough spot.

It was a hypothetical question as I, luckily, do not have this issue. I just wondered what the solution would be to something like this. I am suprised CGC does not have an official policy.

It was a hypothetical question as I, luckily, do not have this issue. I just wondered what the solution would be to something like this. I am suprised CGC does not have an official policy.

A good hypothetical, and good responses. The trouble with having an "official policy" is that they need to be flexible to all of the various hypotheticals . . . ;)

I'd send multiples in for re-slab. If not, you'll get hit with the $11 re-sub fee and a return shipping charge of $25-$35!!! :o You now have to pay separate shipping charges for books submitted at different levels, i.e. economy, express, re-slab, etc.

Sending in multiple re-slab should help distribute the shipping costs across several books...

a few months back someone posted about a Giant Sized X-Men 1 that came back higher from a reholder. I don't know the exact grades but it was something like - sent in 8.5 came back 9.0. All they paid were the re-holder fees.

I have also heard it going the other way. sent in 9.0 came back 8.5. No explanation or phone call just the slab in the mail.

The whole story makes me nervous to send in for reholders.

When you send in a reholder the fine print says they will be checking for accuracy of grade.

To me that would be the equivalent of shooting a bullet right through the center of the CGC casing with the comic inside and sending it back to have them give it the same grade it received from the first submission. Ok maybe not to that extreme but the same principal applies.

Yes, if it is in an untampered slab and you request a re-holdering rather than a grading. Your book will get new microchamber paper, a new inner well, a new label, and a new outer shell, but will stay the same grade.

You 100% sure about that Bob? I have had books reholdered and just the outer case was replaced.

If CGC notices that the grade of the book inside the slab does not match the number on the label they will absolutely regrade the book.

This way they catch slabs that have been tampered with and also books that were originally graded properly but have been damaged after they were slabbed.

I had a Detective Comics #10 CGC 4.0 come back as a 3.0 upon simply having the book reholdered and doing a PQ recheck. The slab was an old label and it was NOT tampered with and the PQ did increase although the grade went down.

There may also be a disclaimer on the back of the slab in the small print OR on the website but I don't know for sure.

R.

You 100% sure about that Bob? I have had books reholdered and just the outer case was replaced.

Joey, how do you know that the inner holder was not replaced? The serial number would be kept the same.

Was it an old label that stayed an old label?

Joey, how do you know that the inner holder was not replaced? The serial number would be kept the same.

New label that stayed the same.

Well, if the new label kept the same page quality, grade and serial number how would you know if they printed a new one or re-used the old one?

???

Well, if the new label kept the same page quality, grade and serial number how would you know if they printed a new one or re-used the old one?

???

I was at CGC dropping off books. They took it in the back and brought it back out 2 minutes later. All I think they had to print was the thin label at the top of the slab.

Was this a new label with the label seam sealed into the weld, or new label with the label floating around loose at the top of the inner well?

Just curious.

Was this a new label with the label seam sealed into the weld, or new label with the label floating around loose at the top of the inner well?

Just curious.

I can't remember what I ate for breakfast. I don't have a clue.