• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

off topic- Help me with my new scanner

2 posts in this topic

I just got a new scanner for Christmas. I would like to put up some scans I have of my collection. How do I do that? Right now I've followed many diffrent steps from a few people. With their guidance I've been able to get a red x. I do'nt understand what it is I'm doing wrong. Now I think I need an URL adress or a host website. Can I just scan the comics, store them in my picture folder, and send them to the boards? What else could I do? Is there a website that will allow me to store my images for free? Is it true that I need a webpage or URL to scan these? I don't know how to make a web page right now. I'm still learning. All I need is someone to guide me step by step, but not make the directions TOO complicated. Real simple for computer dummies. Thank you.

You need someplace on the web to host your pictures. You can go several routes. The ultimate in control is to have your own website. That doesn't mean by the way that you have to write a lot of html code or do anything else to make a cool website. If you want to, you can just copy your pictures there and have nothing else on your site.

A simpler route might be one of the commercial 'picture hosts'. Some of the people on the boards may be familiar with some of them and can give you more details. I think they charge by the picture or some other formula.

If you want to go the website route and you haven't done it before, it's really not hard. I just reserved a new name for my second website (www.duckburgcomics.com) and bought some space on edatarack.com to host it. Took me only about 15 minutes to get the whole thing done. I'm going to use that space just to host my pictures. You don't need a fancy webdesigner tool like FrontPage or some of the others. You can use simple file transfer programs most of the web hosts provide for free or use some free FTP utilities. I'd be glad to walk you through step by step if you are interested. Registering a name will cost you about $8.00 and getting a years worth of website service with eDataRack will cost you about $30.00. (There are a LOT of other web hosting companies out there. I just chose them because they were cheap, had FrontPage extensions, and I got set up easily.)

FYI: Check with your ISP. You may already have a few megabytes of web space available as part of your package. I use SBC/Yahoo and I get some free space.