• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #4

14 posts in this topic

Why a private auction?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Perhaps in order to dissuade the Thrill/Joy-Bidders that are generally attracted to books of this nature. Also, they are used in order to preserve the integrity of the auction for the well-intending bidders, and they sure do ensure bidder/winner confidentiality. Of course everyone may bid in a Private Auction where only the Seller views the Bidder's names (as in most Professional Online Auctions), but it does help to eliminate the incentive to place bids merely to bolster ones bidding status and bidder record.

There may be other reasons for private auctions as well... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Your auction looks fine, are you asking about being "off-target" on the price?

I don't think buyer's worry too much about remaining anonymous, that's why many have multiple accounts. Generally speaking, private auctions raise flags to prospective buyers as in "What's the seller trying to hide?", although your feedback is not hidden so people can see who have bought your items previously. Some sellers run private auctions, have private feedback, making it difficult to "spread the word" about their shady selling practices (like, for example, undisclosed restoration).

Yes, mainly the price, but also the layout. I hadn't thought about it that. Maybe I shouldn't make auctions private in the future.

I am always suspicious of private auctions and have never bid on them. Makes me think the seller is bidding on his own stuff with another account. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Timely

Besides, if the auction is private, how can I experience the immense thrill of bidding on items I can't really afford, gaining a public reputation as a BSD, and breathing the thin air of the mountain top?

....right. wink.gif

Besides, if the auction is private, how can I experience the immense thrill of bidding on items I can't really afford, gaining a public reputation as a BSD, and breathing the thin air of the mountain top?

grin.gif893applaud-thumb.gif