• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Comicon from a Dealers perspective

32 posts in this topic

I have to start out by saying that why has the show been in the basement (2nd floor but felt like a basement) for two years when we could have been on the 18th floor all these years? Smaller yes but what a difference in the "perception". Dealers I spoke to wouldn't do the show because of the "basement", when Mike moved it they came on board. Customers "perception" that I spoke to where "Yes the room is smaller but the AC works, the ceilings are higher (no pipes, blue ceilings) and the room layout is cleaner.

The 18th floor felt like a show, it felt like you got what you paid for, you felt like you could move through the room and not get lost.

Factor in that out of state dealers drove over 9-10 hours and some flew in to do a one day show! Motor City and Harley drove in, Terry O'Neil came to do the show, John Haines did the show. That's a big deal for a one day show and frankly added to the selection of books in the room.

Sales were good, there were waves of buying, the buzz was good through most of the day. Load in/Load out was not bad but frankly the City of NY does not make it easy on Mike getting parking exemptions like in the past.

If Michael does another one of these one dayers hopefully he will consider using the same floor and resist the temptation of the basement. Maybe that will force the dealers who wait to the last minute to pay first or get shut out. Nothing pisses off dealers who hear a show is good and they aren't there. What dealer doesn't want to be a NY Comicon? Can I get in versus Can I get a better price on the table is something I would rather see if one day shows happens again.

This room has a lot of memories from the 80-90's and frankly is worth something. Maybe if it's not Mike the next guy will remember that and find a way to make one day shows profitable for a promotor to do in NY again.

Lastly if Mike really wants to go back and create the old Seuling monthly buzz do a show at the Commodore, now the Roosevelt hotel which is where I went back in the 70's.

Comic show in a basement doesn't sound too appealing. What about fire exits and water dripping and musty smell .....stuff like that? Well, thanks for the report (thumbs u

I remember the Creation shows when they would be held at the Roosevelt. I think I have some promotional materials for Star Trek IV The Voyage Home from a show held there back in 1986.

Great memories!

I wish I had known the show was being moved to a different room. (I just noticed it on the flyer after reading this thread.) I had pretty much given up on this show because it was getting hard to spend more than an hour in that skanky old room. Hopefully somebody will take note and give us a decent NY show in the long interim between Reed shows.

That one is going to be run by Wizard and given that Boston, Mid Ohio and Baltimore are all around the same time, I'm likely to skip NYC and fly to Boston.

As Bob points out, this was a terrific one day show for most dealers. Glad to see it... I love the local/regional show more than these huge productions.

Isn't there one the third weekend in October?

The next NY Reed show is in October. But it's October, 2010.

There's another NYC show in the fall though...Carbonaro's show. What's that like?

Isn't there one the third weekend in October?

The next NY Reed show is in October. But it's October, 2010.

There's another NYC show in the fall though...Carbonaro's show. What's that like?

This was Carbonaros show. I believe wizard is the next show in NYC. Which I am excited to see another large convention over the big apple/national. I generally do not like those shows.

Gareb Shamus bought the National from Carbo. The show has been moved to the weekend after Baltimore. It is a big convention as far as numbers of dealers and guests. I know that both Jim Lee and Linda Hamilton(Terminator) are confirmed for the convention. Neal Adams is almost always there and he usually has a very good guest list.

As far as dealers, it is normally a very, very good group......including Metropolis, JHV, Ritter, Dale Roberts (Me), Harley, Motor City, Superworld, Blazing Bob, Gary Dolgoff, Richie Muchins, Shelton Drum(sometimes), Dave & Terry(sometimes), Dave Kapelka, and a few other guys like HOTFLIPS (sorry if I left anyone out that I should mention).

Gareb Shamus bought the National from Carbo. The show has been moved to the weekend after Baltimore. It is a big convention as far as numbers of dealers and guests. I know that both Jim Lee and Linda Hamilton(Terminator) are confirmed for the convention. Neal Adams is almost always there and he usually has a very good guest list.

As far as dealers, it is normally a very, very good group......including Metropolis, JHV, Ritter, Dale Roberts (Me), Harley, Motor City, Superworld, Blazing Bob, Gary Dolgoff, Richie Muchins, Shelton Drum(sometimes), Dave & Terry(sometimes), Dave Kapelka, and a few other guys(sorry if I left anyone out that I should mention).

Hotflips (shrug):sorry:

We are waiting for a container. it didnt come yet. im kind of hoping they dont tell me its coming wednesday cause no one will be there to unload it. 40-foot container to unload with nothing on pallets=not fun. hopefully after philly though.