• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Solid evidence of Chuck's ineptitude and duplicity.

100 posts in this topic

First, let me acknowledge that I didn't read this entire thread word-for-word. After a few dozen postings, I think I get the picture.

What I don't understand is why Tomega would want to buy from Chuck anyway? Just so there are fresh examples of Chuck's overgrading and gouging? Anything you might want from Chuck you can find somewhere else, probably in higher grade and probably for less $.

he was attempting to buy a ASM 30 CGC 9.2 not a RAW NM book from MHC. gossip.gif

Just as a point of clarification, Tomega was only planning on buying slabbed books from Chuck as a way to bypass his overgrading.

And only the first post needed to be read to catch that. thumbsup2.gif

Understood, I just threw in the overgrading comment 'cause it always seems apropo in a discussion of Chuckles. Regardless of whether the book(s) in question is(are) slabbed, why continue to patronize a seller whose policies, practices and perceptions you disagree with so acutely? I think my question still stands.

I can appreciate the desire to get the best book at the best price, but at some point I'd feel pretty hypocritical bashing a business while continuing to patronize it over and over. I mean, if we're talking about your cable TV provider, okay, I get that. Paying and moaning about such a service go hand-in-hand. But it's not like Chuck has a monopoly at this point. Just exercise a little patience, find another seller and glean extra satisfaction from the knowledge that you didn't put more money in the guy's pocket.

Maybe the question boils down to "how much is your integrity worth?" For instance, I just paid FlyingDonut for a copy of the "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" Cheerios premium, a fairly tough book to find. If given the chance to get the same book from Chuckles for 1/2 the price, I'd still rather give my money to Donut. Maybe I'm stoopid, maybe I'm crazy...? But at least I can continue to bash Chuck with a clear conscience!

For instance, I just paid FlyingDonut for a copy of the "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb" Cheerios premium, a fairly tough book to find. If given the chance to get the same book from Chuckles for 1/2 the price, I'd still rather give my money to Donut. Maybe I'm stoopid, maybe I'm crazy...? But at least I can continue to bash Chuck with a clear conscience!

There's a huge difference in the kind of books you get from forum members (re:FlyingDonut) and sellers like Chuckie. So, naturally it's worth a few extra bucks. I'm with you on that and no way are you "stoopid" or "crazy". Actually, considering what Chuckie charges for his comics, you probably aren't paying a premium buying a properly graded comic anyway.

Now (because I've got to get this off my chest) Chuckie, I don't like the way you grade comics. And, I'm basing that solely on what I hear on this forum. I would personally never buy a book from you. I find that even with your discounts you are waaayy over-priced. And as far as the way you handled yourself with Tomega, you need to grow up a little. Sad you can't take a little bit of criticism.

Now, because there have been some comments on people who criticize you anonomously, I'll be happy to let you know who I am, come on board and I'll let you know. grin.gif

BTW- and completely seperate from anything we've discussed in this entire thread. What's with your recent typos and mis-spellings. I've noticed more from you in the last three or four days than in the last year and a half. Are you trying some new program or something?I'm not slamming or digging,just curious.I've always been amazed by your volumious answers,always so crisp and precise.

The answer can be easily summed up by the below formula -

typos =

(amount of alcohol consumed) X (time arrived at home)

(60 /time in minutes to write post)

I looked over my posts, they do not seem that error laden? Who knows, I type so fast sometimes, I tend to miss a few. When it is late ( or early depending on your perspective) , I sometimes do not re-read my post or run it through a spell checker. I do see a correlation between the time I post and the number of errors though. You will find the early AM posts contain the most grammatical errors/typos - right about the time I get home from the bars. I believe typos are directly proportional to the amount of alcohol imbibed.

BTW- and completely seperate from anything we've discussed in this entire thread. What's with your recent typos and mis-spellings. I've noticed more from you in the last three or four days than in the last year and a half. Are you trying some new program or something?I'm not slamming or digging,just curious.I've always been amazed by your volumious answers,always so crisp and precise.

typos =

I looked over my posts, they do not seem that error laden? Who knows, I type so fast sometimes, I tend to miss a few. When it is late ( or early depending on your perspective) , I sometimes do not re-read my post or run it through a spell checker. I do see a correlation between the time I post and the number of errors though. You will find the early AM posts contain the most grammatical errors/typos - right about the time I get home from the bars. I believe typos are directly proportional to the amount of alcohol imbibed.

typos =

Same equation works for multiple postings of the same message... insane.gifgrin.gif

typos =

Same equation works for multiple postings of the same message... insane.gifgrin.gif

Heheh - that is too funny. I wonder how that happened? It must be because my computer froze up a bit and I the final post button twice. Weird.

To give you an example of the difference between MHC and others, I will give you my Metropolis example.

Bought JIM 87 raw from Vinny as a 9.0. Got the book, looked nice to me but I had no experience with CGC as of yet. Came back CGC 8.0. Felt like I should be taken care of on the next order. Vinny was nice, but said that he disagreed. Kept in contact with me. Looked over a couple raw books for me, even discouraged me from buying one he didn't think I would be happy with. We ended up realizing I am better off buying only slabbed books from him (similar to Tom's initial wishes in going back to MH). With that honesty and communication in mind, I ended up buying a 13k CGC book from him. thumbsup2.gif

Chuck(and his c.s. staff) seems like a person that would cut off a person only in spite, rather than admit a mistake. 893frustrated.gif

wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute..

roll back the tape and tell that story again??? You bought a 9.0 raw book from Vinnie. It was slabbed as only an 8.0. And Vinnie only says he "disagrees?" And youre satisfied with that? AND - - the solution you both work out going forward is that you should only buy there slabbed books???

well, I guess that solves PART of the problem - - you wont buy any more overgraded books from him anymore. But... see where Im going here? I'm not writing this to slam Vinnie - -I'm trying to knock some sense into YOUR head!!! ALmost anyone here would have the dealer work to make them whole in that situation. Why settle on that one-sided solution as you did?

Why settle on that one-sided solution as you did?

Because I really didn't disagree with the grade when I bought it, and I was trying to make the post as succint as possible without rambling. Vince also made a couple of other efforts, like bidding at San Diego for me, plus the book he sold me for 11k(which he broke into payments) was a REALLY good deal. I was able to sell it on ebay the very next month for 13k--even though I did not get it initially to flip it. The 2k profit definitely outweighed the $200 loss on the #87 893whatthe.gif

Point is, he communicated with me the whole way through, and ended up making good in the end. I had one transaction with Mile High, and luckily it worked out for me, but I can't Chuck or one of his people making that kind of effort to keep me in the fold. thumbsup2.gif

Why settle on that one-sided solution as you did?

Because I really didn't disagree with the grade when I bought it, and I was trying to make the post as succint as possible without rambling. Vince also made a couple of other efforts, like bidding at San Diego for me, plus the book he sold me for 11k(which he broke into payments) was a REALLY good deal. I was able to sell it on ebay the very next month for 13k--even though I did not get it initially to flip it. The 2k profit definitely outweighed the $200 loss on the #87 893whatthe.gif

Point is, he communicated with me the whole way through, and ended up making good in the end. I had one transaction with Mile High, and luckily it worked out for me, but I can't Chuck or one of his people making that kind of effort to keep me in the fold. thumbsup2.gif

Now you have me confused. You bought a book on payments.Then you sold it the next month.The month after you recieved it or the month you fnished paying for it. If it is the latter,how long were the payments spread out over?

okay, Ross. Thanx for the long version. Makes more sense. WIth every occasion here to doubt Vinnie, he seems to be trying to make thing sright with customers.... Yo Vinnie! Still upset about the overgrading raw by a full 2 notches though......

..., he seems to be trying to make thing sright with customers.... Yo Vinnie!

And that is what a good business man should do. Do you see that Chuck? Try it sometime.

Well, the answer is...............no!!!

bought it from Metro for (ahem) $600, sold it as a CGC 8.0 for $380

Shadroch, I sold after I made the final payment and had the book in my posession. Say Hi hi.gif to Meshag and Abednigo for me.

sorry.gif

Also, my point is not about my market savvy (which originally wasn't very good, but now is much improved), but about quality customer service, and dealing with unhappy customers. YOU GO, TOM!! thumbsup2.gif

bought it from Metro for (ahem) $600, sold it as a CGC 8.0 for $380

sign-offtopic.gif How many dealers are out there that give the one on one personal type approach that Vinne does?

Well, that could be taken more than one way. I guess you could say a mugger offers a one on one personal type of approach, eh?