• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #4 CGC 9.0 Sold on Ebay.

87 posts in this topic

Well again I don't view it as a true first appearance so how could it possibly be a top ten? "First SA" appearance is a big step down from first app., IMO

off the top of my head, and without really thinking about it, I would put all twelve of these ahead of av4.. I could probably think of a few more if I spent more time on it.

av1

xmen1

ST110

ff1

ff4 (also a 'first sa' app but I would give it the nod for being a much earlier book in a much more important title)

ff5

AF15

asm1

TOS39

TTA 27

JIM 83

Hulk 1

I think once you get past the first 5 or 6 mega keys, the rest of the top 10 are debatable. IMO, Avengers 4 is more important than FF 4 and 5, TTA 27 and ST 110. Cap is a much bigger name and has sustained his own title for far longer than the rest. It may not be a "true" first appearance but if that's your rationale how does FF 4 rate in the top 10 when Subby is a second rate hero relative to Cap?

my rationale is right there by the listing :makepoint:

also a 'first sa' app but I would give it the nod for being a much earlier book in a much more important title

Bronty: I can't quote you because I'm on my phone but you do realize the entire concept of a "Silver Age" is based on the foundation of a popular Golden Age character getting a reboot and new life in a new era, don't ya :baiting::)

Jim

Only to an extent.... Flash is a reboot, FF are arguably reboots, but Spidey sure isn't. The reboot may have been the seed of it but there's a lot more to the SA than that of course, as you know.

Its all pretty murky waters. The "first SA" superman is no different than the "last GA" superman. Cap is a more clearcut reboot but then again he is the exact same character, unlike the torch that goes from being an android to a teenager. So is it really a reboot... not so much, its more of a taking the GA character and plunking him in the SA setting. Kind of a yankee in king arthur's court kind of deal. Great book, signficant, but a second tier marvel hero and not his first appearance, either, only his first appearance in the 'age'.

Well again I don't view it as a true first appearance so how could it possibly be a top ten? "First SA" appearance is a big step down from first app., IMO

off the top of my head, and without really thinking about it, I would put all twelve of these ahead of av4.. I could probably think of a few more if I spent more time on it.

av1

xmen1

ST110

ff1

ff4 (also a 'first sa' app but I would give it the nod for being a much earlier book in a much more important title)

ff5

AF15

asm1

TOS39

TTA 27

JIM 83

Hulk 1

I think once you get past the first 5 or 6 mega keys, the rest of the top 10 are debatable. IMO, Avengers 4 is more important than FF 4 and 5, TTA 27 and ST 110. Cap is a much bigger name and has sustained his own title for far longer than the rest. It may not be a "true" first appearance but if that's your rationale how does FF 4 rate in the top 10 when Subby is a second rate hero relative to Cap?

also a 'first sa' app but I would give it the nod for being a much earlier book in a much more important title

Fair enough but I think my problem is with your rationale. Since when do we use when a book was published to determine key status or the overall importance of the title for that matter.

av1

xmen1

ST110

ff1

ff5

AF15

asm1

TOS39

TTA 27

JIM 83

Hulk 1

Fair enough but I think my problem is with your rationale. Since when do we use when a book was published to determine key status or the overall importance of the title for that matter.

GA foggies do that all the time. :gossip:

av1

xmen1

ST110

ff1

ff5

AF15

asm1

TOS39

TTA 27

JIM 83

Hulk 1

My personal opinion is that for SA marvels publication date is huge. Every year has a different feel as Stan and Jack go about developing the universe. Every year out from 1961 has exponentially more common books. etc. etc.

av1

xmen1

ST110

ff1

ff5

AF15

asm1

TOS39

TTA 27

JIM 83

Hulk 1

GA foggies do that all the time. :gossip:

So in the grand scheme of things, not breaking it down by Era, DD 1 should be considered a bigger key than Hulk 181 and GS XMen 1 because it came out 11 years earlier. I don't buy that argument.

That's not what I said. What am suggesting is that in the very limited context of 1961 to 1968 marvels, the earlier books are generally more important because everything from 61 to 68 followed that initial FF1 big bang.

Specifically in this case you have two 'SA firsts' of two of timely's most popular characters. Quite comparable to start with. The 1962 FF will get the edge IMO over the 1964 avengers because FF 4 would be a fairly important book even if subby weren't in it, just by virtue of being the fourth issue of marvel's flagship title.

But, I admit that it FF4 vs AV4 could be debated, I said as much in my original post.

Even if you take TTA 27 and FF4 out of my post that still leaves AV4 out of the top ten