• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the TOP 10 Alan Moore bronze age comics I must own?

26 posts in this topic

I have a CGC 9.8 Saga Of Swap Thing and Miracleman #1, but what other issue's would you recomend I search for? I know of A.M. SOTST #20, #37. MM #15#16, But what else?

CGC 9.8 Saga Of Swap Thing and Miracleman #1, but what other issue's would you recomend I search for? I know of A.M. SOTST #20, #37. MM #15#16, But what else?

Here are a couple Moore books that are definitely worth finding:

Superman Annual 11

Swamp Thing Annual 2

Superman 423

Action Comics 583

Batman : The Killing Joke

Together that represents a great list. (thumbs u Other 2nd-tier possibilities would include:

Swamp Thing 53 (Batman teamup)-- though I think that one is even more common than most of Moore's stuff

Secret Origins 10 (Phantom Stranger origin)-- only 1 of the 4 stories is Moore

Swamp Thing 24 (Moore writes the JLA)

Batman Annual 11 (Clayface story by Moore)-- only half the book is Moore

...also any of the Miracleman issues after #9 increasingly command a premium, and are unlikely to be reprinted with their original artwork any time soon.

Together that represents a great list. (thumbs u Other 2nd-tier possibilities would include:

Swamp Thing 53 (Batman teamup)-- though I think that one is even more common than most of Moore's stuff

Secret Origins 10 (Phantom Stranger origin)-- only 1 of the 4 stories is Moore

Swamp Thing 24 (Moore writes the JLA)

Batman Annual 11 (Clayface story by Moore)-- only half the book is Moore

...also any of the Miracleman issues after #9 increasingly command a premium, and are unlikely to be reprinted with their original artwork any time soon.

Nice one Zonker!

Swamp Thing 24 - That Floronic Man story is outstanding.

Secret Origins 10? - Never read it. To eBay! Thanks man.

I have a CGC 9.8 Saga Of Swap Thing and Miracleman #1, but what other issue's would you recomend I search for? I know of A.M. SOTST #20, #37. MM #15#16, But what else?

21 is where Moore took over the writing, and where he reinvented the character, while 20 was wrapping up someone else's story before him.

I'd go for 21 before 20 any day that they come up. And the cover is killer!

21 is where Moore took over the writing, and where he reinvented the character, while 20 was wrapping up someone else's story before him.

INDEED! that's why I bought one in 9.8! ^^ it's a FANTASTIC copy too! Killer color strike, near perfect SHARP edges, BONE white pages. I would only sell/trade it if I could get my hands on a CGC 9.8 MIRACLEMAN #15.

INDEED! that's why I bought one in 9.8! ^^ it's a FANTASTIC copy too! Killer color strike, near perfect SHARP edges, BONE white pages. I would only sell/trade it if I could get my hands on a CGC 9.8 MIRACLEMAN #15.

Well, you didn't say that at first. Nicely done!

:applause:

I think #21 is one of the very best (as in top ten) comics I have ever read.

:gossip: there are no bronze age Alan Moore US comics. ;)

But here's a list, in no particular order:

Swamp Thing #21

Swamp Thing #34

Swamp Thing #28

Swamp Thing #52

Swamp Thing #53

(there's a pattern here, someplace, but I can't quite place it....)

Killing Joke

Batman Annual #11

Action #583

Superman #423

DC Comics Presents #85

Now...these are, for the most part, single story books..a couple of continueds...the reason Watchmen isn't there, and Miracleman isn't there, is because you asked for the top 10 books, and both by themselves are over 10 issues. Yes, MM #15 is great, but it makes zero sense if you did not read #1-14 (especially #2.)

So. There you go. :)

I would only sell/trade it if I could get my hands on a CGC 9.8 MIRACLEMAN #15.

it's only $300-$400 on eBay.... (thumbs u

Yes, I noticed the recent price drop. I'm hoping to save some funds and pick one up at the $300 range.

:gossip: there are no bronze age Alan Moore US comics. ;)

But here's a list, in no particular order:

Swamp Thing #21

Swamp Thing #34

Swamp Thing #28

Swamp Thing #52

Swamp Thing #53

(there's a pattern here, someplace, but I can't quite place it....)

Killing Joke

Batman Annual #11

Action #583

Superman #423

DC Comics Presents #85

Now...these are, for the most part, single story books..a couple of continueds...the reason Watchmen isn't there, and Miracleman isn't there, is because you asked for the top 10 books, and both by themselves are over 10 issues. Yes, MM #15 is great, but it makes zero sense if you did not read #1-14 (especially #2.)

So. There you go. :)

The 34 is quite often missing from dealers runs. It seems to sell quickly in slabbed grades of 9.4 and above. The story also appeals to counter culture folks and, if memory serves me, features a cover that was stolen from Bisette ( the original art). GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Get yourself a full set of Warrior:

moore3.jpg

Agreed x2!!!

I still miss my full set I sold!! doh!:cry:

and I hate I only reccommended it while you were selling it, instead of snatching it up myself! :cry:

The story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" from GL 188 is classic Alan Moore. The character has reappeared a couple of times lately in the new continuity.

also, DC put out a trade of all the minor DC Alan Moore stories not long ago. Well worth picking up for anyone wanting to read his minor, early works. And this story is in there.

oooo!

Does it have both Green Lantern Annual stories in it?

And DC Presents #85?

And Superman Annual #11? And Batman Annual #11?

And what about Miraclema....er....wait. Not DC.

Nevermind.

(thumbs u

oooo!

Does it have both Green Lantern Annual stories in it?

And DC Presents #85?

And Superman Annual #11? And Batman Annual #11?

And what about Miraclema....er....wait. Not DC.

Nevermind.

(thumbs u

hehe. I know it has some Sci-Fi shorties, the last Superman story ever, and some other stuff. Time to bust it out again, actually.

I know you're joshin, but I really don't remember.