• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Ian_Levine ..... just how many DC comics do you have

47 posts in this topic

I think the last I saw he had over 30,000 DC Comics, but he may be able to give an exact number

It's impossible to give an exact number because every week there are an average of twenty new DC comics.

It currently stands somewhere between thirty and thirty one thousand in total.

On the fifteenth of November, Mike McVoiles at DC Indexes

(http://dcindexes.com/index.htm)

calculated the total to be 30130. There will be at least 150 more since that date, making the approximate total of DCs to date to be 30280.

Then I've got at least 100 obscure promos previews and giveaways that he doesn't list. And I'm currently missing 72 off my main list, I have two comics I bought off e-bay lost in the post, and a package of 26 off Joe Nacca lost in the post, out of which I've found replacements of nine of them since I resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't gonna turn up.) Then again, there are always the odd errors. I just found that Young Love 56 is not in my otherwise full run - I can't explain it, it's just not there.

So the gist of all this is that I have approximately 30,200 DCs all different in my collection. But I said APPROXIMATELY.

It's impossible to give an exact number because every week there are an average of twenty new DC comics.

It currently stands somewhere between thirty and thirty one thousand in total.

WHOA, so you're still buying them off the stands? I figured maybe you owned all the DCs up to a certain point, like 1980 or 1990 or so...so you own all the limited series, one-shots, reprints, etc, etc, etc they've put out over the years? 893whatthe.gif

WHOA, so you're still buying them off the stands? I figured maybe you owned all the DCs up to a certain point, like 1980 or 1990 or so...so you own all the limited series, one-shots, reprints, etc, etc, etc they've put out over the years?

No no no no no.

No DC collection could ever begin to approach being called complete unless it's maintained on a weekly basis.

Some of it's [!@#%^&^], some of it's wonderful.

I'm aching for the long awaited DC NEW FRONTIER series. It traces all the silver age legends like Hal Jordan and Barry Allen back to before they got their powers. It has a lot to live up to......

No no no no no.

No DC collection could ever begin to approach being called complete unless it's maintained on a weekly basis.

Some of it's [!@#%^&^], some of it's wonderful.

I'm aching for the long awaited DC NEW FRONTIER series. It traces all the silver age legends like Hal Jordan and Barry Allen back to before they got their powers. It has a lot to live up to......

Ever met or heard of another collector like yourself? You sound like the ULTIMATE completionist!

I asked Ian recently if he had stopped at any point, and the answer was no, he was still staying current. What an accomplishment!

As some of you will have realised, finding certain nineties comics is just as hard as finding Golden Age runs.

Hardly anyone in the world has a full run of Beautiful Stories For Ugly Children. I only know of a couple who have all thirty issues, but then if you add on the two specials "Cotton Candy Autopsy" and "What If This Were Heaven, Wouldn't That Be Hell", you've got a run of comics that's literally harder to acquire than a set of every Superman from issue number 1 to issue number 624.

I challenge anyone on here to go out and find a full set.

Ever met or heard of another collector like yourself? You sound like the ULTIMATE completionist!

There are four of us going for every DC.

Christine Farrell, Jerome Wenker, Mike McVoiles, and me.

I believe Christine's probably got the best collection, but she's so unapproachable and unfriendly that I can't be sure. I'm not sure she even knows what she's got.

Jerome is a wonderful warm hearted and fantastic guy. Budget restraints mean he still has 240 to go plus some coverless and incomplete, but he's such a lovely person that I'd rather lose money on a spare and send it to him, that just sit on it at home.

Mike is weak on Golden Age but has compiled more information than anyone else so far, and I really respect him.

I'm trying to persuade Paul levitz to let me do the DC equivalent of the Gerber guides for the seventieth anniversary in February 2005. In other words, a set of books (must be softback for general affordability) which list and picture every single Dc ever made from February 1935 to February 2005.

If any of you have any clout with him, please help me to achieve this, officially for DC.

I believe Christine's probably got the best collection, but she's so unapproachable and unfriendly that I can't be sure. I'm not sure she even knows what she's got.

A WOMAN going for every DC??? shocked.gif (OK, got my chauvanistic comment for the day out, whew, I feel much better now blush.gif )

Why's her collection better? She have some one-of-a-kind books like ashcans or something that the rest of you aren't going to be able to get while she has them?

Why's her collection better? She have some one-of-a-kind books like ashcans or something that the rest of you aren't going to be able to get while she has them?

I was originally told that she had every DC by Joe Verenault.

Buzzy 70 was the last one she got.

Then when I asked about the Fat and Slat Joke Book, I discovered she'd never heard of it, not the Sixties duo of Teen Beat and Teen Beam.

She most certainly won't have a lot of the giveaways and promos. She won't know about stuff like the Superman/Bradman comic.

Both Robert Beerbohm and Joe Verenault each SEPARATELY sold her a copy of Buzzy 70.

Joe said he was not allowed to give out her phone number, so I tracked it down anyway. I found her to be unpleasant and almost offensive, so I just mentally wrote her off as someone I won't be contacting again.

Joe then said she wanted the Fat and Slat Joke Book, so I went to an enormous amount of trouble and expense to locate a spare, only to be curtly told that she didn't need it any more.

But one thing's for sure - she's got copies of some of my major wants - like Detective 2, 3, 4, 5, and 27, and Double Action 2 and More Fun 10, and also I assume she has the Big Book Of Fun Comics. Having said that, I guess it's possible she's never heard of the Big Book Of Fun Comics. As she's so reclusive, it's impossible to know.

WOW... That's an incredible collection. It's amazing and I'd agree that many of the odd ball 90's and up DC might be very hard to come by. I was originaly a DC fan starting collecting a a young boy in the late 50's but as you can tell I became a Marvel Convert.. and love my Marvels.. Does anyone know on a "Complete Marvel Collection" I have the CBG Marvel Check list. there are lots of strange ones that Marvel put out... if I was to try anything ( just dreaming) I'd like a complete Silver and Bronze age run .....

WEBHEAD 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

But one thing's for sure - she's got copies of some of my major wants - like Detective 2, 3, 4, 5, and 27, and Double Action 2 and More Fun 10, and also I assume she has the Big Book Of Fun Comics. Having said that, I guess it's possible she's never heard of the Big Book Of Fun Comics. As she's so reclusive, it's impossible to know.

She has definitely heard of Big Book of Fun Comics.

She's also got at least two nice copies of Action #1, unless Joe has sold one

for her recently. The really nice Detective Comics #1 (Denver?) that he had not too long ago was her duplicate copy.

She's got the nicest New Fun #1 I've ever seen - Jay traded me her lower grade copy plus a ton of inventory from Sparkle to get it for her long ago.

Definitely an incredible collection with a nice sprinkling of pedigrees and high grade keys.

She has definitely heard of Big Book of Fun Comics.

She's also got at least two nice copies of Action #1, unless Joe has sold one

for her recently. The really nice Detective Comics #1 (Denver?) that he had not too long ago was her duplicate copy.

She's got the nicest New Fun #1 I've ever seen - Jay traded me her lower grade copy plus a ton of inventory from Sparkle to get it for her long ago.

Definitely an incredible collection with a nice sprinkling of pedigrees and high grade keys.

So if you know so much about her collection, how complete is it ???????

Ian, i have been following these post's about Christine for some time. Let me first correct some of your statements that you have made about her.

She is in no way unaproachable, but when you ring her out of the blue, after everyone who knows her has not given you her number, then do you expect her to be anything but a bit anoyed. To be blunt if you had telephoned me like that you would have got a lot of verbal abuse.

She is not a recluse, in fact she attends quite few of the shows all over the country. The only reason that a lot of people do not know her, is that she likes to keep to herself, something that obvoiusly you cannot accept.

As regards to her collection. It is by far the best DC collection out there in terms of both quantity and quality and it was completed a little while ago. She is the process of verifying that all items are accounted for, that said, as new items pop up that she is not aware off, she locates them and adds them to her collection.

I would appreciate not slandering her good name on these threads in future as she will not be making an appearance on these boards to defend herself.

In closing let me say that some people obviously want to let the world know what they have, others (like Christine) want a select few to know and appreciate the fact that she has what she has.

Ian, i have been following these post's about Christine for some time. Let me first correct some of your statements that you have made about her.

She is in no way unaproachable, but when you ring her out of the blue, after everyone who knows her has not given you her number, then do you expect her to be anything but a bit anoyed. To be blunt if you had telephoned me like that you would have got a lot of verbal abuse.

She is not a recluse, in fact she attends quite few of the shows all over the country. The only reason that a lot of people do not know her, is that she likes to keep to herself, something that obvoiusly you cannot accept.

As regards to her collection. It is by far the best DC collection out there in terms of both quantity and quality and it was completed a little while ago. She is the process of verifying that all items are accounted for, that said, as new items pop up that she is not aware off, she locates them and adds them to her collection.

I would appreciate not slandering her good name on these threads in future as she will not be making an appearance on these boards to defend herself.

In closing let me say that some people obviously want to let the world know what they have, others (like Christine) want a select few to know and appreciate the fact that she has what she has.

I was not aware of any slander by Ian's part?!? I know of Christine and I have seen her at many San Diego shows, usually sitting by Joe V. I have heard nothing but nice things about her from Joe V, John V, Gary C and many others. She's got nothing to worry about! hi.gif

Timely

While that's an incredible acomplishment, I could never do something like that because the thought of having to store and organize all those comics is too much for me to handle. How do you keep the books so organized with so many coming in each month? And what do you do in regards to insurance?