• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Ian_Levine ..... just how many DC comics do you have

47 posts in this topic

I'm trying to persuade Paul levitz to let me do the DC equivalent of the Gerber guides for the seventieth anniversary in February 2005. In other words, a set of books (must be softback for general affordability) which list and picture every single Dc ever made from February 1935 to February 2005.

If any of you have any clout with him, please help me to achieve this, officially for DC.

Sounds good to me! I've got the Gerbers and this is something I'd like to have on my reference shelf next to them!

Maybe the word slander is too much, but when you say things like "unpleasant and almost offensive" not to mention "unapproachable and unfriendly" then i am sorry but being the friend that i am, i have too stand up for Christine.

As regards to ther good words being said as you mentioned - "I have heard nothing but nice things about her from Joe V, John V, Gary C and many others". This is my point entirely, none of these people are on the cgc board and therefore Ian is giving a slanted impression of Christine.

I would appreciate not slandering her good name on these threads in future as she will not be making an appearance on these boards to defend herself.

I beg your pardon ?????????

Slandering ????????????

Are we living on the same planet ???

Who are you anyway ?????????

DITTO warlord......

i bought the gerbers for full price when they were brand spanking new and did the same with the marvel silver age follow-up. have always hoped that a DC version would come out. i'd prefer just the silver DC's in HC like the gerbers, but would buy whatever Ian put together........ 893applaud-thumb.gif

i can't imagine what 30,000 books would really look like. i've only got about 4,000 and that takes up 2 double closets.

Ian read all the posts -

Re: Question for Ian_Levine ..... just how many DC comics do you have [Re: Timely]

#355748 - 01/06/04 06:32 AM

Maybe the word slander is too much, but when you say things like "unpleasant and almost offensive" not to mention "unapproachable and unfriendly" then i am sorry but being the friend that i am, i have too stand up for Christine.

As regards to ther good words being said as you mentioned - "I have heard nothing but nice things about her from Joe V, John V, Gary C and many others". This is my point entirely, none of these people are on the cgc board and therefore Ian is giving a slanted impression of Christine.

When you say things like "unpleasant and almost offensive" not to mention "unapproachable and unfriendly" then i am sorry but being the friend that i am, i have too stand up for Christine.

It was merely a statement of fact.

That's how she came across on the phone.

I wanted to believe that someone who'd collected every DC would be a wonderful and warm person.

She made me feel very uncomfortable for phoning her.

Having said that, I don't regret making the call. There was nothing wrong with doing so. We are not living in a police state and I'm free to contact whoever I wish.

Other than report how unpleasant she was to me on the phone, I have said nothing remotely derogatory about her in any way. In fact I even went out of my way to say that she probably had the best DC collection in the world (something which I aspire to eventually top).

"It was merely a statement of fact. That's how she came across on the phone" - So would you if someone unsolicited and a complete stranger calls you out of the blue enquiring as to your comic collection. Someone i might add who has on more than one occassion asked people who know her for her number and yet had not been given that number.

"She made me feel very uncomfortable for phoning her" - Well Ian what did you expect her to say "Hullo Ian - whom i don't know and thank you for enquiring as to how extensive my comic collection is, might i ask if you are considering coming round to evaluate it yourself or even given that i don't know you in the slightest asking for other more sinister reasons"..

Ian in closing all i am saying is that some people would rather you not contact them regarding your comic collection or theirs. I am sure in time through a 3rd party, dialog would have started but unfortunately i very much doubt this will happen now. A shame indeed as if you had not been so pushy i am sure that introductions would have been made sooner rather than later.

"It was merely a statement of fact. That's how she came across on the phone" - So would you if someone unsolicited and a complete stranger calls you out of the blue enquiring as to your comic collection.

Nonsense - life is about living and taking the bull by the horns. I speak to complete strangers all the time. Believe it or not, I'm actually quite renowned for other stuff I've done away from the comics.

Someone i might add who has on more than one occassion asked people who know her for her number and yet had not been given that number.

So what ???? I broke no law. Big deal !!!!!!!!

"She made me feel very uncomfortable for phoning her" - Well Ian what did you expect her to say "Hullo Ian - whom i don't know and thank you for enquiring as to how extensive my comic collection is

YES

"might i ask if you are considering coming round to evaluate it yourself or even given that i don't know you in the slightest asking for other more sinister reasons"..

You just blew your own argument here, as you just made it clear that she had told people not to give me her number - WEIRD !!!!!!! That proves that she already was well aware of who I was before I rang her, so you can't suggest that she might have thought I had sinister motives for calling her, if she already knew who I was.

Ian in closing all i am saying is that some people would rather you not contact them regarding your comic collection or theirs.

How sad !!!!!!!!! How closed minded !!!!!!!

I am sure in time through a 3rd party, dialog would have started but unfortunately i very much doubt this will happen now. A shame indeed as if you had not been so pushy i am sure that introductions would have been made sooner rather than later.

It's that same pushiness that's gotten me an almost complete DC collection. It's who I am, it's the core quintessence of my being. I won't change for anybody, and I wouldn't wanna change who I am anyway.

AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU ????

You're obviously someone who I know well.

I do hope you're not Joe Verenault. I would be very disappointed in you if that's who you were. Whoever you are, you ought to have the courage of your convictions and reveal yourself, instead of hiding behind some sad pseudonym.

Well Ian what did you expect her to say "Hullo Ian - whom i don't know and thank you for enquiring as to how extensive my comic collection is, might i ask if you are considering coming round to evaluate it yourself or even given that i don't know you in the slightest asking for other more sinister reasons"..

Yet Jerome Wenker was utterly delightful and warm and friendly when I contacted him, and we've been of enormous help to each other ever since, almost working as a team to find stuff for each other. That's what I expected here too, yet didn't get. Which is her right. Yet it's my right to express my opinion too.

Well well well.... "Nonsense - life is about living and taking the bull by the horns. I speak to complete strangers all the time" - Maybe you are right but some people don't subscribe to your philosophy on life and you shouldn't be the one to try to push your ways onto others. As regards to complete strangers...well i speak to unsolicited complete strangers also...salesmen..and people that generally i don't want to be speaking to...

"So what ???? I broke no law. Big deal " - Yes you are correct you broke no law, but common curtesy is another thing.

"You just blew your own argument here, as you just made it clear that she had told people not to give me her number - WEIRD !!!!!!! That proves that she already was well aware of who I was before I rang her, so you can't suggest that she might have thought I had sinister motives for calling her, if she already knew who I was. " - I am afraid it is you that has not read the post correctly, i said that people that you contacted refused to give you her number, not that she had informed them not to give you her number. So sinister motives do indeed come into play

"How sad !!!!!!!!! How closed minded !!!!!!! " - again that is your perspective and considering you have been loud and pushy i can see that you are not going to realise that sometimes a person might be the opposite of yourself and find your contact to be quite obtrusive and rude.

"It's that same pushiness that's gotten me an almost complete DC collection. It's who I am, it's the core quintessence of my being. I won't change for anybody, and I wouldn't wanna change who I am anyway" - No one is asking you to change but at least admit that people are different and that your have no right to push your attitude onto others and expect that they will reply in kind.

"AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU ???? You're obviously someone who I know well. I do hope you're not Joe Verenault. I would be very disappointed in you if that's who you were. Whoever you are, you ought to have the courage of your convictions and reveal yourself, instead of hiding behind some sad pseudonym" - Trust me i am not someone who knows you at all, indeed i am someone who has purely read the threads on the CGC Boards and decided to get behind my friend on this one. I very much doubt that me telling you my name would do anything but give you the pleasure of finding out where i live and then ringing me up out of the blue - so sorry, but i must decline your invitation.

Ian what you are trying to do is admirable, but sometimes your motives are questionable. I am neither asking you to change who you are or express an opinion that is not your own, but i would ask that you respect the privacy of any individual, be that in person or over the phone, when those close to that person have asked you to.

Ever met or heard of another collector like yourself? You sound like the ULTIMATE completionist!

There was a time back in the 60's when I had all the DC's, Marvels, and Charltons. Around 18,000 comics. But that was a long time ago and I sold off most over the years. But I still have all the Batman books and certain ones that I really like. And kepted all the key issues. I never stopped buying comics. Just cut back. Glad to see another person trying this near impossible task.

i said that people that you contacted refused to give you her number, not that she had informed them not to give you her number.

Please get your facts right.

Only two people discussed Christine with me.

The first was Paul Sassienie who has known her for many years, and he was the one who suggested that I call her. He erroneously thought we could be of use to each other. He told me to ask Joe Verenault for her phone number.

The second one was Joe Verenault, who tactfully and politely skipped around giving me her number, saying he wanted to ask her first. He never ever ever came out and said that she didn't want him to give it to me - hence I tracked the number down myself. I'm good at that. I just found the Superman Bradman comic the same way.

So PLEASE don't post malicious untruths on here, whoever you are.

i would ask that you respect the privacy of any individual, be that in person or over the phone, when those close to that person have asked you to.

But NOBODY close to that person actually DID ask me to, at all. This is just a fabrication.

There was a time back in the 60's when I had all the DC's, Marvels, and Charltons. Around 18,000 comics. But that was a long time ago and I sold off most over the years. But I still have all the Batman books and certain ones that I really like. And kepted all the key issues. I never stopped buying comics. Just cut back. Glad to see another person trying this near impossible task.

Thankyou.

I appreciate that.

It's not been an easy road, but it's made a little easier by nice coments like this, and also by people like Metarog and Allan Chao, who have gone out of their way to help, and made me realise that overall, the comic collectors on these boards are warm and sincere people.

Ian

On the Christine thing, I can understand her reluctance to talk. Some people are more withdrawn than others. You may be an outgoing person, but that does not work with others. If two of her friends were reluctant to give her number, or wanted to aske her first if that was OK, that should have been a hint that calling her out of the blue might not be warmly received. Part of relating to other people is understanding their personalities and not extending yours to theirs by putting expectations on their behavior. I do not think you were owed courtesy when you did not get her number from her or through one of her friends with her permission. You probably would have been better off by getting her number from a 3rd party who had her permission to give the number.

You didn't break any laws, but you broke her law.