• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics for nerds?

Are comics for nerds???  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Are comics for nerds???

92 posts in this topic

Truthfully, I drank and fornicated. I nearly dropped out senior year, after getting 8% in one class, and 6% in another. My highest mark in all of high school was a 68%(C+), and I barely got enough credits to graduate after 5 years. I lived to drink at parties and chase trim. Sounds fun, but it was actually pretty bad, and I wish I could do high school over again.

Ironically - I wish I could do high school over again and copy your formula to a T!

:applause: +1

Mostly "AP Brain" with some "Nerd/Geek" and "Invisible". I was pretty much a loner in high school. I didn't have many close friends at all and wasn't part of a crowd; conversely I will say that I was on a friendly basis with kids from all different cliques. I wasn't close with anyone but, by senior year, got along with pretty much everyone.

Let's be honest. Some of these choices are just variations for the Nerd/Geek. AP Brain for instance is just your smart nerd. Mr. and Mrs. Invisible are just your quite nerds. Then you have Goth/Punk Well if you ever seen a Goth person, you realize that they are just nerds in costume. Won't be long before they change their makeup and black clothes for a Storm Trooper outfit. So when you add up the invisible, AP Brain, Nerd/Geek, and half of the Goth/Punk crowd, you get a vast majority of comic collectors who were Nerd/Geek.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the cool thing now with kids is "liking" comic books. Hot Topic plays a big part in that trend. If only they had decided comics were cool when I worked for them...Would have abused the hell out of my discount....

If comics are "cool" then how come comic books are not selling better to teenagers?

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the cool thing now with kids is "liking" comic books. Hot Topic plays a big part in that trend. If only they had decided comics were cool when I worked for them...Would have abused the hell out of my discount....

If comics are "cool" then how come comic books are not selling better to teenagers?

too expensive for what the entertainment value they provide.

I fit in to a few different categories: Jock, Prom King and undercover geek... (thumbs u

It's strange we are complete opposites - I was a geek and undercover prom queen. :jokealert: Small world

Skateboard_testq45f.gif

That was me too but with a doobie. I played some football in high school too but quit after a couple seasons to skateboard/snowboard more. My school had cliques but I was always friendly with all of them. I was like the Spicoli of my grade.

Everyone is someone elses nerd. What I mean is some of the stereotypical math nerds probably thought I was a nerd, I thought they were nerds cause they studied too much, and I thought some jocks were nerds cause they took football so serious wearing their school jackets etc. And the jocks probably thought I was a nerd cause I didn't take football serious.

Certified surfer/stoner. Think Spicolli.

Certified skater/snowboarder/stoner I even ordered pizza to school during class under the name Spicolli. I was out in the portable trailers and got the pizza guy to deliver during the middle of my marketing class. It was so classic. He knocked on the door and my teacher answered than my teacher turned around and asked the class who Spicolli was. I almost fell out of my chair. Me and the pizza guy got sent to the school office to explain what was going on. I said he delivered the pizza early and my principal made me wait 15 minutes until lunch started to eat my pizza.

A lot of them just download comics on to their laptops. Others just go along with it because it's the trendy thing to like.

Edit: Take for example, the anime industry. Wildly popular with kids under 18, most of them download episodes and manga online. Same thing with American comics. Majority of them don't have jobs, and think spending any kind of money on actual comics is lame. Tee shirts, belt buckles, hats and other accessories with X-Men, Spider-Man, and Batman however, are another story. Trust me, big companies are making money off them one way or another.

Skateboard_testq45f.gif

That was me too but with a doobie. I played some football in high school too but quit after a couple seasons to skateboard/snowboard more. My school had cliques but I was always friendly with all of them. I was like the Spicoli of my grade.

Everyone is someone elses nerd. What I mean is some of the stereotypical math nerds probably thought I was a nerd, I thought they were nerds cause they studied too much, and I thought some jocks were nerds cause they took football so serious wearing their school jackets etc. And the jocks probably thought I was a nerd cause I didn't take football serious.

Aside from a few nights of underage drinking.....I was straight-edge until about 21. I was a sponsored AM at that time & with the introduction of drugs & alcohol into my life....my quest to turn Pro pretty much evaporated.

Fast forward about 16 years....and I'm back on board having a great time.

Aside from a few nights of underage drinking.....I was straight-edge until about 21. I was a sponsored AM at that time & with the introduction of drugs & alcohol into my life....my quest to turn Pro pretty much evaporated.

Fast forward about 16 years....and I'm back on board having a great time.

sxe.jpg

tt3y2sirv5.jpg

I had a stunning GF all through HS. (shrug)

I wasn't straight-edge to make a statement...I didn't do drugs & drink alcohol because I wasn't interested.

Chris, I wasn't picking on you. I had straight edge friends in college. I didn't even add the second picture until after I had made the post. I just thought it was funny. Personally, the world could use a few more straight edgers. More Minor Threat is always a good thing.