• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics for nerds?

Are comics for nerds???  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Are comics for nerds???

92 posts in this topic

I was the punk girl (with the hair color of the week syndrome)who transformed to hair band chick. Then I emerged after highschool to an old school goth lady. Not the current emo type kinder goth. I don't really think they used the term Goth back then but I had black hair and purple hair and wore dark clothes,knee high doc martens with striped socks, smoked clove cigarettes. I even had fangs mind you I was doing it over 20 yrs ago. I dressed like that till it was in vogue of course I had to stop. I didn't want to look like everyone else. Makes me want to take a flamethrower to hot topic!

But dressing like that now kind of scares the grandkids... I am a comic book Tshirt person now that will bust out a costume for a con. I have been called a freak more often than geek.

I prefer the term GEEK to nerd. Nerd implies social awkwardness which only applies 20% of the time (such as social situations lol)
Would a nerd not know that? :baiting:

^^

I was a loner in High School.

And I almost feel a loner again because none of those sections did I fit into.

I was the "Art" geek that was bored in high school and I hated to be there.

I got by on C's and D's and I graduated later to know that I could of been a

straight A student if I wanted to be (in college I finished up with a 3.8 and the only

B's I got was in my early Art freshmen year).

I guess I was born to be in a small select class, because even today as a designer

people like to lump us all in a pot of hipster cappuccino drinking wanna be artists

that get no props and are basically sell-outs.

:P

I say yes and no.

I was an uber jock, popular jerk, played baseball up until college, played 1 year of collegiate hockey, was two-time defending UMBA Tae Kwon Do champion in Ohio for 1st degree black belts, married the girl voted "best looking" in high school, :blah blah:

conversely

I grew up an only child, latchkey kid. And I did lots of "nerdy" things. I read comics, studied chess and baduk (Korean board game), watched tons of Robotech and generally "geeked" out until my mom got home.

To this day all of those things I still love. I will watch my hockey team lose, curse obscenities at the tv and try not to put my fist through the wall, and then I will go read the Korvac Saga or something else "geeky". :grin:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the cool thing now with kids is "liking" comic books. Hot Topic plays a big part in that trend. If only they had decided comics were cool when I worked for them...Would have abused the hell out of my discount....

What's AP?

Advance placement - way for high school kids to do college level classes. Pretty much the smart kids all did AP classes. Sadly I was not so bright :(

I wouldn't say it was just for "smart" kids. In high school IMO it had more to do with hard work and initiative versus simply being the "brightest". I took AP classes with people who I thought were complete dip-sticks. Likewise there were others who probably thought I was a dumbarse jock and said "wtf is he doing in here?"

I say yes and no.

I was an uber jock, popular jerk, played baseball up until college, played 1 year of collegiate hockey, was two-time defending UMBA Tae Kwon Do champion in Ohio for 1st degree black belts, married the girl voted "best looking" in high school, :blah blah:

.......Nerd.. :gossip:

:jokealert:

I say yes and no.

.......Nerd.. :gossip:

:jokealert:

lol

I will fully admit that HS is not fair and that popularity and the politics of sports can and are fully used to their advantage. Like the time in study hall when I hit this kid in the head with a chair. My excuse.....he was bugging me from doing my calculus homework. My punishment = none. His punishment = 3 straight days of detention. I always felt bad about that one and Jim, if you are reading this.....sorry I hit you with that chair. Oh, and ps....you were a krappy hockey player and had no business being on the same ice as me! :sumo:

Truthfully, I drank and fornicated. I nearly dropped out senior year, after getting 8% in one class, and 6% in another. My highest mark in all of high school was a 68%(C+), and I barely got enough credits to graduate after 5 years. I lived to drink at parties and chase trim. Sounds fun, but it was actually pretty bad, and I wish I could do high school over again.

Truthfully, I drank and fornicated. I nearly dropped out senior year, after getting 8% in one class, and 6% in another. My highest mark in all of high school was a 68%(C+), and I barely got enough credits to graduate after 5 years. I lived to drink at parties and chase trim. Sounds fun, but it was actually pretty bad, and I wish I could do high school over again.

I think most folks wish they could do it over again.

For me, I would have been a little nicer and would've worked harder in Spanish. 4 years of high school Spanish, 2 years in college, one of my closest friends is Mexican and I can't understand a damned thing he's sayin'.

I was the punk girl (with the hair color of the week syndrome)who transformed to hair band chick. Then I emerged after highschool to an old school goth lady. Not the current emo type kinder goth. I don't really think they used the term Goth back then but I had black hair and purple hair and wore dark clothes,knee high doc martens with striped socks :cloud9: , smoked clove cigarettes. I even had fangs mind you I was doing it over 20 yrs ago. I dressed like that till it was in vogue of course I had to stop. I didn't want to look like everyone else. Makes me want to take a flamethrower to hot topic!

But dressing like that now kind of scares the grandkids... I am a comic book Tshirt person now that will bust out a costume for a con. I have been called a freak more often than geek.

I more of a smart punk kid that wasn't so angry I couldn't socialize. Ran into my first clove cigarettes at a Smiths concert. Saw more punk and alternative (before there was such a term) bands than I can shake a stick at. The South Park Hot Topic episode is a classic. At first, I was excited to see a store that had Dead Kennedys t-shirts, but then I realized what a sellout the place was. They were playing some crappy remake of Sonic Reducer and I walked out.

not me, the best years of my life came AFTER High School.

I left that one horse town in the dust. The only time I would ever want to relive was my 20's

through my college years.

Come NCAA football season I relive it (in a way) every year with tail gating and wild parties.

East Carolina University

(worship)

For me, I would have been a little nicer and would've worked harder in Spanish. 4 years of high school Spanish, 2 years in college, one of my closest friends is Mexican and I can't understand a damned thing he's sayin'.

Now we all see why some parents said "One day, you're going to think to yourself 'If I knew then what I know now,' and it's going to dawn on you to do better in school now."

My friend's parents said that all the time, and it scared me more than it did him. Guess that's why I went on to college and he gave up.

Ironically - I wish I could do high school over again and copy your formula to a T!