• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics for nerds?

Are comics for nerds???  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Are comics for nerds???

92 posts in this topic

I picked BRAIN

Highest average in the town & county in my last year of high school (thumbs u

Then I discovered beer and parties :applause:

Then I stopped collecting comics for 15 years :cry:

I was invisible. Senior year of high school, I had passing grades, probably

a bit above average, grad 64 out of 850?? Had a fling with my good buddies

older sister that was my Comp teacher, and attended 101 days of class.

If I'd skipped just 1 more day, I wouldn't have gotten the sheepskin.

Public high school is a complete and utter waste of time. It is nothing more than glorified day care and socializing for teenagers. Anyone with any real ambition is utterly lost in a hormone driven fantasy for 3-4 years that bears absolutely no resemblance to the real world.

High school is for turning out drones who are used to being bored, and therefore will drone away in their working lives without complaint.

Intellectual stimulation? Challenge? :roflmao:

People used to have to PAY to get an education...it used to be DESIRABLE.

Now? Nothing more than a sad punchline to an even sadder joke.

Public high school is a complete and utter waste of time. It is nothing more than glorified day care and socializing for teenagers. Anyone with any real ambition is utterly lost in a hormone driven fantasy for 3-4 years that bears absolutely no resemblance to the real world.

High school is for turning out drones who are used to being bored, and therefore will drone away in their working lives without complaint.

Intellectual stimulation? Challenge? :roflmao:

People used to have to PAY to get an education...it used to be DESIRABLE.

Now? Nothing more than a sad punchline to an even sadder joke.

A lot of it also has to do with outside forces in a teens life as well. I wouldn't place all the blame on public (even private schools have this problem too, might I add) schools.

A lot of it also has to do with outside forces in a teens life as well. I wouldn't place all the blame on public (even private schools have this problem too, might I add) schools.

Blame for what...?

Mightn't you elucidate...? :foryou:

Truthfully, I drank and fornicated. I nearly dropped out senior year, after getting 8% in one class, and 6% in another. My highest mark in all of high school was a 68%(C+), and I barely got enough credits to graduate after 5 years. I lived to drink at parties and chase trim. Sounds fun, but it was actually pretty bad, and I wish I could do high school over again.

Ironically - I wish I could do high school over again and copy your formula to a T!

doh!lol

Blame for what...?

For how lack luster a majority of high school grads are. I'll use Baltimore as an example. The city has a high drop out rate, low testing scores, ect. The school's play a huge part in it (for example, finding qualified teachers is a huge problem here), but parent's do as well. Maybe if some of the parent's raising these boring kids would try a little harder to make education seem important, maybe high school wouldn't seem as bleak.

But what do I know. I'm just going by what my mom, a teacher for 35 years in the city, tells me.

(I won't go into blaming society as a whole, even though we glorify actors and actress's and ignore the real hero's--cops, teachers, ect.)

I know my school suggested I drop out because I was a disruptive influence on the kids who really wanted to learn..I did graduate and the idjots spelled my name wrong on my diploma! BTW

th_nerd1.jpg

The face concealing sign says Not a nerd lol

See NOT a Stormtrooper nope nope nope...

I was not a nerd. :sumo:

I prefer the term "academically oriented." :whistle:

Comics were a minimal part of my life until after I got out of college and started to collect. Growing up I don't think I purchased more than 100 though I was able to read more than that because of my siblings' accumulations.

Blame for what...?

For how lack luster a majority of high school grads are. I'll use Baltimore as an example. The city has a high drop out rate, low testing scores, ect. The school's play a huge part in it (for example, finding qualified teachers is a huge problem here), but parent's do as well. Maybe if some of the parent's raising these boring kids would try a little harder to make education seem important, maybe high school wouldn't seem as bleak.

But what do I know. I'm just going by what my mom, a teacher for 35 years in the city, tells me.

(I won't go into blaming society as a whole, even though we glorify actors and actress's and ignore the real hero's--cops, teachers, ect.)

That's what I suspected. ;) I wasn't talking about the products of high schools, nor was I assigning blame for the lack of quality thereof (which you rightly point out is spread around.) Your mother is a teacher, so I understand your general sensitivity to the subject: but understand that I was NOT talking about "teachers" (though now that you brought it up, teachers do bear a share of why public high school is a nightmare today.)

As an aside, why on earth would parents of today....who went through the exact same "day care" mentality, only slightly less so...have any incentive to tell their children that "education is important" when they know....at least, based on THEIR experience...that that's a lie?

(Education is radically important. Education, however, is NOT what happens in public high schools in America in the 21st century.)

I was only talking about high school itself, and what an exercise in utter futility the modern public high school has become. Decades and centuries past, high school was looked at as a privelege, and only attended by those who had ambition, talent, and brains...people who WANTED to learn.

Now, however, they are as I said: At best, they are drone factories, churning out drones who are used to boredom and so won't complain when they exchange sitting in a boring poli-sci class for sitting in a boring cubicle.

At worst they are nasty little petrie dishes of artificial human sociology, children thrown together with others with whom they share very little in common except geographical location, and which does little to prepare one for real life. Acting in a daytime soap, yes. Real life? No.

(but we have digressed. Thanks for the interlude, Lauren. :) )

Blame for what...?

That's what I suspected. ;) I wasn't talking about the products of high schools, nor was I assigning blame for the lack of quality thereof (which you rightly point out is spread around.) Your mother is a teacher, so I understand your general sensitivity to the subject: but understand that I was NOT talking about "teachers" (though now that you brought it up, teachers do bear a share of why public high school is a nightmare today.)

As an aside, why on earth would parents of today....who went through the exact same "day care" mentality, only slightly less so...have any incentive to tell their children that "education is important" when they know....at least, based on THEIR experience...that that's a lie?

(Education is radically important. Education, however, is NOT what happens in public high schools in America in the 21st century.)

I was only talking about high school itself, and what an exercise in utter futility the modern public high school has become. Decades and centuries past, high school was looked at as a privelege, and only attended by those who had ambition, talent, and brains...people who WANTED to learn.

Now, however, they are as I said: At best, they are drone factories, churning out drones who are used to boredom and so won't complain when they exchange sitting in a boring poli-sci class for sitting in a boring cubicle.

At worst they are nasty little petrie dishes of artificial human sociology, children thrown together with others with whom they share very little in common except geographical location, and which does little to prepare one for real life. Acting in a daytime soap, yes. Real life? No.

I know a few public school teachers. They all, without exception, hate the state of public schools as much as you do. However, they can't do anything to change it. Their hands are tied by stupid policies and educational acts (hello, 'No Child Left Behind'). Their lesson plans are decided from on high. What happens in public school classrooms isn't decided by educators, it's decided by politicians. Any teacher who dares deviate from accepted policies and practices is immediately disciplined, even when those policies and practices are full of horseradish.

Blame for what...?

I just wanted to come in here and say "Yes I agree." :)