• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOS #92 9.6 vs GL #76 9.6

49 posts in this topic

As far as horror/Vertiog fans go, Swamp Thing might be a 1st Tier Character, but otherwise it is a third tier character in the grand scheme of comics. Does Swamp Thing have an ongoing monthly title right now? (And no, I am not being a smart azz here but I have no clue).

I consider 1st tier books to be characters that are still popular funny book characters AND have mass market appeal as well.If you look at the industry as a whole, there are really only a handful of characters that fit this bill like Spidey, Batman, Wolverine/the X-Men, Superman, and that is about it. These characters will basically likely have an ongoing comic in some form regardless of the state of the industry/economy.

You could maybe add in TMNT as a 1st Tier property since it definitely has mass market appeal, but I don't know if there still is an ongoing comic or not.

The Big Two second tier properties would be solid comic properties with decent mass market appeal like Avengers, FF, Hulk, GL, Flash, Justice League, and Wonder Woman to name a few (sorry, I don't read enough Indies to comment on them).

The third involves characters that have strong niche market appeal in the comic market with some potential for mass market (e.g. movie or animated cartoon). This is where titles like Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Jonah Hex, Sin City, Daredevil, Thor, Teen Titans etc. fall in my opinion. Yes, they are still popular to their fanbase and do have big screen potential, but their core group of fans is still relatively small compared to the 1st and 2nd tier properties.

The problem with any of the horror, Western, or Vertigo lines is this - they are targeted at a devoted but relatively speaking small niche market. While the characters and the writing might be great, they go unnoticed by the majority of comic readers since mainstream superhero books are the 900 pound guerilla in the industry.

Wrightson > Adams

I voted for HOS 92 by a very, very small margin. Obviously, I'd rather have the GL76 for resale value, but the HOS is just a cooler book in my opinion.

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest, and while my collecting focus has shifted away from comics towards original comic art, I don't understand the purpose of this thread in terms of deciding which of these books is more 'key'. (shrug)

I must admit, I had a good laugh at some of the rationale posted on this thread, but our decisions really boil down to our preferences and/or perhaps more recently, our wallets, as evidenced by the 9.6 GL 76 sale.