• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would unlimited funds enhance or lessen the enjoyment of collecting for you?

32 posts in this topic

"Unlimited funds" would probably ruin it for me. I'd quickly snatch up every comic I want, work out some ultra-safe storage system, and then where would I be? I have little interest in reading the silly things...

Actually, I suppose I could start a museum or something, and get a kick out of showing folks all the groovy stuff. But that wouldn't really be collecting any more.

Along with buying all the books + OA I want, I would set up collecting scholarships so that other collectors could achieve their collecting goals. Spread the love!!!! :luhv:
Don't you mean, Spread the WEALTH?

Unlimited funds? I would buy all the books I could. I'd also branch out into OA, movie memorabilia, and illustrative fine art... Then open a shop that sold them all together to discerning clientele.

Then, I would take over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me it would enhance my collecting experience since I would not have to worry about having money when I book I am seeking came up for sale. For what I am mainly looking for in back issues rarity is part of the problem and that would not change with more money. What would change is the frustration of having to watch grails disappear without the opportunity to purchase because I don't have the funds.

For easier to find back issues I would have the opportunity to be patient and wait for higher grades to poke their heads out. Not having to "settle" for lower grades would be a nice perk.

Initially it would be fantastic as it would be heady and exciting but it would significantly detract from the meaning and enjoyment over time. The value would be severly diminished since I wouldn't have to put much effort into it. I do collect for enjoyment, not as an investment, yet I do have a lot of time, effort and money tied up in my collection. That has value to me.

Assuming you really mean unlimited supply of money, practically anything could be bought. You could get those supposedly hard to get items where the seller won't sell. Use your imagination. You find the Church Action, and the owner will never sell. Really? I'll give you $50 milllion for it. Not enough? I'll give you $500 million and buy you a private island, etc. Still not enough? I'll give you $1 billion; a private jet, an island, a Rembrandt, an endowment, etc.

Hard to find pieces could be more challenging. Because they truly are rare I would end valuing them more. But the strategy would be simple, hire people. Hire private investigators to track them down. Hire the best comic dealers and get them hunting for you, etc. With unlimited money you don't need to sit in front of a C-Link auction waiting to snipe. Just buy the whole damned company and buy anything you want before it even comes to auction, etc.