• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic storage

25 posts in this topic

I bought a bunch of Archives (the top loader types) this weekend and now I'm stressing over whether I should use them :frustrated:

HOW do you use these types of supplies? Do you just slide the book into the Archive or do you put a backing board in with it? It feels like really weak protection to put a book in a storage bag without having it sealed in any way.

I always use a backing board when inserting a comic into any kind of sleeve. If you don't you risk: damaging the book when pulling or sliding it out of the sleeve, creasing the spine if stored upright, etc., etc. And it's best to use fullbacks for your A books for that extra support.

While using the Archives sleeves will optimize the protection of your comics, I find that it's not necessarily a standalone product (but for some, it is). If you insert your book with a fullback into a Mylite2 (or even Mylite or Mylite+) and then slide it into the 4-mil Archives toploading sleeve it looks great and feels solid. Once you box it, you really don't need any other protection under normal conditions. You can argue that the Mylite2 and fullback is all you need, but I like the extra protection and getting tape out of the equation when storing books.

By the way, I don't work for Gerber or Hotflips. I do however buy from Charles whenever I see him at shows. Great guy who is always willing to work with you to make the price right.

I bought a bunch of Archives (the top loader types) this weekend and now I'm stressing over whether I should use them :frustrated:

HOW do you use these types of supplies? Do you just slide the book into the Archive or do you put a backing board in with it? It feels like really weak protection to put a book in a storage bag without having it sealed in any way.

I always use a backing board when inserting a comic into any kind of sleeve. If you don't you risk: damaging the book when pulling or sliding it out of the sleeve, creasing the spine if stored upright, etc., etc. And it's best to use fullbacks for your A books for that extra support.

While using the Archives sleeves will optimize the protection of your comics, I find that it's not necessarily a standalone product (but for some, it is). If you insert your book with a fullback into a Mylite2 (or even Mylite or Mylite+) and then slide it into the 4-mil Archives toploading sleeve it looks great and feels solid. Once you box it, you really don't need any other protection under normal conditions. You can argue that the Mylite2 and fullback is all you need, but I like the extra protection and getting tape out of the equation when storing books.

By the way, I don't work for Gerber or Hotflips. I do however buy from Charles whenever I see him at shows. Great guy who is always willing to work with you to make the price right.

Oh, and I recommend that you get the size up so that your books don't fit into the sleeve [font:Impact]too tightly[/font].

As far as I'm concerned you need 4 things to properly protect the more valuable bronze/silver/gold books:

1. Microchamber paper (I get mine from Conservation Resources)

2. Super Golden Age 1 Mil Arklites from BCE. I personally hate buying from BCE because the E Gerber products are exactly the same at half the price, but E Gerber doesn't carry Mylites (which is their equivalent of Arklites) in this particular size.

3. Super Golden Age Full-Backs from E Gerber.

4. Super Golden Age Archives from E Gerber.

And here's how you use them:

1. You insert two or three sheets of Microchamber paper in the book - one behind the front cover, one in front of the back cover, one in the centerfold (if you're using 3).

2. Trim the Super GA Full-Backs about 1/8" so they fit snugly (but not too tight) in the Super GA Arklites. If your time is worth more than your money, you can substitute the BCE Super GA Time-X-Tenders for the E Gerber Super GA Full-Backs. The Time-X-Tenders don't need to be trimmed - but cost 2-3 times as much as the Full-Backs.

3. Insert Full-Back into Arklite, then insert book upside down into Arklite/Full-Back combo. You want the flap on the back by the bottom of the book. Some people don't like taping the flap & crease it instead - I prefer using one piece of tape.

4. Insert Arklite/Full-Back/Book combo into Archive.

The end result is pretty much bulletproof - and looks very nice to boot.

arklite-fullback-archive-combo-f.jpg

arklite-fullback-archive-combo-b.jpg

A thing of beauty! (thumbs u

As far as I'm concerned you need 4 things to properly protect the more valuable bronze/silver/gold books:

1. Microchamber paper (I get mine from Conservation Resources)

2. Super Golden Age 1 Mil Arklites from BCE. I personally hate buying from BCE because the E Gerber products are exactly the same at half the price, but E Gerber doesn't carry Mylites (which is their equivalent of Arklites) in this particular size.

3. Super Golden Age Full-Backs from E Gerber.

4. Super Golden Age Archives from E Gerber.

And here's how you use them:

1. You insert two or three sheets of Microchamber paper in the book - one behind the front cover, one in front of the back cover, one in the centerfold (if you're using 3).

2. Trim the Super GA Full-Backs about 1/8" so they fit snugly (but not too tight) in the Super GA Arklites. If your time is wort