• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Are you a paper collector?

Do you have an interest in collecting non-comic related paper items?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an interest in collecting non-comic related paper items?

28 posts in this topic

I was wondering if comic collectors tend to collect other paper items not related to comic books (i.e. not comic books, comic related magazines, pulp mags, original comic book art, etc.)

Personally, I collect postcards from my hometown.

As a kid I also collected stamps.

At times I have also been tempted to collect other paper items, but have not.

Some of the paper items I have seriously considered collecting are:

- currency

- sheet music of rock bands

- non-comic magazines

- Victorian trade cards

- posters

- oil paintings (if you consider that a paper item)

- old paper items related to old farming equipment

Absolutely. I love paper. I just heard that the Dead Sea Scrolls are on exhibit in Toronto at the Royal Ontario Museum. I want to go check them out as I've always been fascinated with Middle Eastern history and paper artifacts. I spent a lot of time studying the Middle East.

:wishluck:

I love old paper. I wish I could collect more of it, but right now it's comic related stuff only. I've dabbled in comic OA, old Avon paperbacks, and other oddball stuff.

For example, I have a check written by a business and it dates back to the later 1880's I believe. I have no idea (nor do I really care) if it's worth anything. I just think it's really cool.

There's a very cool paper ephemera show twice a year here in Hartford, CT. It's called Papermania and there's all sorts of neat stuff, from postcards to political posters to just about anything else paper related.

I collect a few paper products. I have tons and tons of books, but none are really worth anything, I just like to read. I also have a couple of interesting posters, including a huge Mystery! promo with Gorey art, and a Vertigo one sheet. I used to collect tobacco cards as well. I have an Old Judge from 1887, which came from one of the first sets of baseball cards ever produced.

Paper is a beautiful thing. It's discovery has poddibly done more for the advancement of our race than anything else up until the last century. Obviously computers have taken over since but up until paper everything was relegated to memory and walls. I can't imagine living without it.

I really do find it a beautiful thing and have a sort of romantic association with it.

R.

Forgot I also thought about collecting movie posters. But they seem to big and bulky to collect and/or display.

But I would love to own a set of Hitchcock movie posters. Or maybe 1950s sci-fi and/or horror. hm

I have over 350 postcards of Newport Beach, California, and published a book of them a few years ago. I have a few Boston newspapers from 1800, and a cool "Bombs for Berlin" WW2 poster.

Used to collect sports cards...those are paper...or they used to be.

yeah, I guess almost everyone who was a kid before 1980 collected sports cards (or at least some kind of cards like HAPPY DAYS or STAR WARS cards)

Non-comic paper items I collect:

Vintage books

Japanese 1970s exploitation movie posters

Japanese 1950s menko cards (game similar to flipping baseball cards)

Postcards (specific topics)

Vintage amusement park ride ephemera (plans, catalogs)

I collect hard-cover fiction...rather haphazardly but go with my favorite authors and preferably 1st editions...

I save major headlines of newspapers...I think these are pretty value-less, but it's kindof cool to have a box of major headlines over the last 20-30 years...(I have an ad from I believe 1967 advertising a Creem/Jimi Hendrix concert!)

I saved the first year or two mint editions of Golf Magazines from Tiger Woods' rookie year/2nd year with the hopes of getting him to sign them some day and then came to understand he doesn't sign autographs... :tonofbricks:

I have some World Series programs from some of my favorite World Series and a few other Sports Programs dating back to the 50s...

I have a few baseball cards but nothing like the couple of shoe-boxes of approx. 15 year runs of all the greats that I sold for like $25 bucks back in the early 70s... double :tonofbricks:

What can I say...I'm a saver... :insane:

I used to go to old book stores and go thru books looking for old bookmarks or written pieces of paper. I once found a postcard from the 30's-40's with writing on it that was of a DC-3 passenger plane and a stewardess that someone sent to the book owner.

I have a lot of Disney related paper in my collection.

Cast Member magazines

Imagineering related magazine

Disney Press related paper and press photos

Disney postcards

Disney park maps

etc, etc, etc....

°o°

I was wondering if comic collectors tend to collect other paper items not related to comic books (i.e. not comic books, comic related magazines, pulp mags, original comic book art, etc.)

Personally, I collect postcards from my hometown.

This is also a favourite hobby of mine ... especially the golden age between 1894 and 1918. Below is a 'real photo' card of the hometown band, followed by all the school children of the town, celebrating Queen Victoria's sixtieth year on the throne, 1897.

RPJubilee.jpg

I also collect CDV or cabinet cards of local people (1870-1914). As they are mostly anonymous, I call them "lost ancestors".

Other than comic books, I have collected some really nice Saturday Evening Post magazines with Leyendecker and Rockwell covers. I also have a complete set of the Wacky Package die-cut cards as well as the 1st and 2nd series. Ink blotters which were used before ball point pens have some nice advertising graphics as well.

Ken

I used to have a lot of disney park related paper! I recently sold some old park maps and ticket booklets from the old days. I also had some train maps and in park booklets. Only disney paper ish items I have left now are old matchbooks (from when you could smoke in the park restaurants). I am still trying to pry my dad's ticket books aways from him I think he can't find them. When my parents would take me they never rode the rides so they still have mostly unused ticket books. They are a lot of fun to look at!

I collect tons of paper. It's more hoarding issues for me. I love old pictures. I have a new hobby which involves going to estate auctions and buying heaps of black and white photos. Then I track down the people in the pictures via the internet. Sometimes just for the heck of it. Sometimes I find there are people trying to find these old pictures and I send them to them.

My best one to date was a find at a local garage sale. The seller had several boxes of old photographs and tin type photos. They wanted $1-5 each. I chatted with her awhile (a neighbor) she said that since she was about to pack up and no one had shown interest all day, I could have them all for $8. I told her I loved old photos and paper items. She said I should go through her trash bag and get the papers that where in with the cache of photos. She had purchased the photos in bulk at an auction. She figured the papers, which were newspaper clipping about the family members in the photos, marriage, birth, death certificates,baptismal records and even adoption papers were mostly junk and no one would buy them. I dug them all out of the trash. Within days I found 2 people on opposite ends of the country (one in FL. one in CA) who wanted any information about their family. The family had been one of the founding settlers of Kansas but had been scattered across the country. Everyone lost touch and never had info and here I was sitting on all the info they could ask for. I even had the original wedding photos, birth certificates and marriage certificate for the settlers. It was just great to talk to the family and find out why these old memories ended up as discards. I packed them all up and shipped them out to the eldest person who responded (figuring she would've been the one most eligible to get them). So for a whopping $8 I got a great deal of fun.