• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Dan sent me two pics.

- Upon looking at the pics I can see that the bottom corner, in a different 'light' is still there and looks like a stain to me. Dan already stated in the sales thread he thought it was just the light. I called for the notes, remember this is the first time I had a cert number. When I saw the 'whole book stain' note I contacted Dan with the following...

'Dan, here's the deal, that bottom right corner of the back cover looks like a stain. When asked about it in your sales thread you said it was just an odd light. Now that I know the cert number I just sent for notes.It is a book length stain. That's a killer flaw. Many would consider this book overgraded.'

Dan then replied that he only said he thought' it was the light.

I replied......

'Dan, yes, that is what you said. I didn't ask anymore about it because I assumed you were correct. However, it was really pronounced in the slab pic, hence I got the notes. All the history aside, now that we know it's a stain, IMO it's still a desirable book but not worthy of a 16K price.'

Dan replied ..................

So I guess you have 3 options

1 - The original cash/trade deal

2 - 16K cash

3 - Back out of the deal completely

Please LMK asap, as I may have to explore other selling avenues'

I replied that I will back out.

With these facts, I feel like I'm siding with the buyer here. And the third option, to back out, was offered? Why wasn't that mentioned in the discussion? (shrug)

And please post the new pictures.

Edited by HarveySwick

Bob, can you please post the slab scan pictures you are referencing? Or if you don't have them, can Dan please post them?

I think a copy of the notes if you have them as well.

Bob, can you please post the slab scan pictures you are referencing? Or if you don't have them, can Dan please post them?

I think a copy of the notes if you have them as well.

The notes are in the sales thread Hector, but the scans are not. I just double checked.

Dan sent me two pics.

- Upon looking at the pics I can see that the bottom corner, in a different 'light' is still there and looks like a stain to me. Dan already stated in the sales thread he thought it was just the light. I called for the notes, remember this is the first time I had a cert number. When I saw the 'whole book stain' note I contacted Dan with the following...

'Dan, here's the deal, that bottom right corner of the back cover looks like a stain. When asked about it in your sales thread you said it was just an odd light. Now that I know the cert number I just sent for notes.It is a book length stain. That's a killer flaw. Many would consider this book overgraded.'

I replied......

'Dan, yes, that is what you said. I didn't ask anymore about it because I assumed you were correct. However, it was really pronounced in the slab pic, hence I got the notes. All the history aside, now that we know it's a stain, IMO it's still a desirable book but not worthy of a 16K price.'

2 - 16K cash

With these facts, I feel like I'm siding with the buyer here. And the third option, to back out, was offered? Why wasn't that mentioned in the discussion? (shrug)

That is ALWAYS an option. After offering the 1st 2 options earlier, buyer wanted to renegotiate the deal again. The 3rd option has consequence. Buyer knew that

Here are the grading notes:

Grader Notes: Spine Lite Wear Breaks Color

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Full Right Front Cover Small Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Front Cover Lite Wear

Right Bottom Back Cover Lite Smear

Center Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color

Left Bottom Whole Book Stain (don't get this one, as you can see in the pic of the book open to the center, it doenst look like its stained)

Edited by Boboset

Spine Lite Wear Breaks Color

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Full Right Front Cover Small Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Front Cover Lite Wear

Right Bottom Back Cover Lite Smear

Center Front Cover Lite Crease Breaks Color

Left Bottom Whole Book Stain

Dan sent me two pics.

I replied......

2 - 16K cash

I would think if the seller offered the prospective buyer the chance to back out of the deal completely with no mention of "punishment" then this is a non-issue IMHO.

-slym

That is ALWAYS an option. After offering the 1st 2 options earlier, buyer wanted to renegotiate the deal again. The 3rd option has consequence. Buyer knew that

So back out, but have negative consequences on the Boards? I thought it was just "if you're not happy with the book, and feel that something wasn't disclosed, he had an out".

I still am just stuck on "it's not a stain, it's lighting", but turns out to be a stain. If I was a buyer and found out later on a book DID have a stain when I was told it did not, I think that would change what I negotiated for. 2c

Lets post the whole PM:

Its obvious your going to continue to come up with reasons to back out of our agreement

2 - 16K cash

Please LMK asap, as I may have to explore other selling avenues

Response:

I am backing out.

My 2c Dan and Bob take this to pm. Try and work something out. You guys are both important members of the community and think it would be detrimental to everyone to have this crush that.

@ Bob maybe you can help find a new buyer at the full price or close to possible and cover the loss (shrug)

@ Dan see it from his point of view and don't see blood if possible

I would think if the seller offered the prospective buyer the chance to back out of the deal completely with no mention of "punishment" then this is a non-issue IMHO.

-slym

This is what I was just wondering about as well. Did Bob KNOW you meant you were going to nominate him if he backed out or was that discussed AFTER he chose that option? (shrug)

Lets post the whole PM:

Its obvious your going to continue to come up with reasons to back out of our agreement

2 - 16K cash

Please LMK asap, as I may have to explore other selling avenues

Response:

I am backing out.

If that is the full PM, I am really siding with Bob. Sorry man. You didn't post you meant there would be negative consequences to choosing Choice #3. You actually said you would explore other selling avenues. To me that would translate that you understood his position and were giving him an out as a seller. There's nothing there that you were telling him there would be negative consequences to choosing Choice #3.

My 2cDan and Bob take this to pm. Try and work something out. You guys are both important members of the community and think it would be detrimental to everyone to have this crush that.

@ Bob maybe you can help find a new buyer at the full price or close to possible and cover the loss (shrug)

@ Dan see it from his point of view and don't see blood if possible

+1

Seems like a non-issue at the moment. Unless a resolution cannot be reached between the two, then perhaps seek outside advice.

-slym

This is what I was just wondering about as well. Did Bob KNOW you meant you were going to nominate him if he backed out or was that discussed AFTER he chose that option? (shrug)

I believe so. It was his idea

Dan, I am disappointed too. I'm having trouble understanding why you were not agreeable to an all cash deal, especially since I was going to pay full asking. I'm a collector, I am having a difficult time letting go of my book, does that make me a sleazeball ? Your call whether you want to call me out on the Boards.

Dealer offers a book and claims there is no stain. I offer to buy the book and find out there is a stain. Should I be expected to follow through on a 16K deal that, in my view, was misrepresented. As God is my witness, may he strike me dead at the keyboard, I was not trying to back out of the deal.

---Bob