• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #1 - Dont Let It Slip Away!

33 posts in this topic

They are in the same group that still thinks that Superman comic still in the bag will bring the $300 they paid for and more. The ones that bought the Princess Beanie Baby for $300 you know those guys..

eetz ooak ay, we ol maik meestaiks in espelinnk and gremer sump imes

-12 pts

:jokealert: really -12 I will be sure not to cross you on the play ground I could slip on one of those marbles you lost..

There is no excuse in the year 2009 to not be able to type "www.google.com", then type "X-Men 1" then click "images" and compare what you have with what shows up.

There is no excuse in the year 2009 to not be able to type "Marvel Milestone Edition" and see what comes up.

If you can put something on Craig's list, you can do these simple things.

Ignorance is not an excuse. If you don't know what an item is, find out.

And, the item clearly states itself that it is a reprint.

No, this is just another person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed trying to pull a scam.

I just sent this turd-of-misery a e-mail telling him he has a $3.00 comic, and start doing some homework before putting ads on Craiglist trolling for suckers.

DRX

Seriously some people just don't know the difference. I used to have a guy that would come into my shop (I sold CDs, comics, and other items) and and brag about his safe deposit box having such great comics that he would have to charge me to let me see them. He knew I would probably be willing to trade him my car for ONE book(at the time I had a sweet vintage car show trophy winnah with lovely dual chrome exhausts that sounded like an demon). He told me about how he never let anyone see them ever because he was afraid they would get stolen. One day he tells me he is in dire need of cash and thought it may be time to sell them. He was sure I probably didn't have the funds for the books because he looked in Wizard and Mr.Wizard said he had like over $200,000 worth of books maybe even more because his books were incredibly perfect. He knew I knew a lot of dealer that had funds who would be interested in a rare find. Well, of course, first off I usually think people who aren't comic collectors don't know much about titles and make mistakes as well as over value their stuff. When he told me his were never removed from the package, I knew he was going to be really disappointed. He comes in with a briefcase with his precious Superman Action comics reprint, a Spider-man #1, and a few other more modern books. He went on to tell me he had helped a friend clean out an apartment and found them in the trash. To top it off when I tried honestly to point out he was mistaken he accused me of being a swindler trying to cheat him out of his books by telling him lies. He was convinced that he had a Superman first appearance worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and a first print Amazing Spider-man. He left angry refusing to believe me at all. I ended up saying something along the lines of "Send them to Mr. Wizard and he'll tell you the same thing!"

Honestly there are a lot of scam artist on the internet but also just a few stupid one and people that just don't know what they have. A lot of people think it says #1 so it must be worth loads of money. Some people tell me they have really old, vintage comics and they are from 1994. This guy is probably just stupid and who knows there could be some other stupid person saying "WOW! Xmen #1 that's worth a lot!"

Reminds me of the time I went to my friends house. She said her brother found a lot of Marvel comics, with AF15, ASM1, ect. I had my doubts. I went over, and sure enough, all of them were the Marvel Masters edition. I don't think he believed me, but what do I know I guess! lol
Your right, there are cases where someone doesnt know. I was rehabbing a house and hired a kid in the neighborhood to clean up and help out. We were hanging drywall when the topic turned to comics. He said, You know my brother has a Batman #1 hes been trying to sell me for three thousand dollars. Its in excellent shape. Well, needless to say I almost fell off the scaffold. I calmly said, "Can you bring it here tommarrow and let me see it". Sure he said. Next day here he comes with the Batman #1. Sorry, dude. Its a Famous First Edition. A reprint. I'll give you $5.00 bucks for it. He went nutso, his own brother was trying to scam him. :roflmao:DRX

As a person who worked at stores, owned a store, worked swap meets and flea market shops all over this is pretty common. They seriously think you are a con artist for trying to point out the little lines of print inside the cover that say "reprint". I have worked for comic book store owners that were the worst at offering people nothing for really good books. I at least try to be honest with people if they ask me to evaluate something for them. Now if they ask me to buy their collection for $200 and there is $2,000 worth of comics in it I will give them their $200. They ask for a certain price and if it's a good deal I will buy they get what they want I get what I want. There are lots of folks that just don't want to believe that their ASM#1 that is going to put the kid through college is just a reprint.

As an example, I had a guy come in my flea market booth and said he needed $20 for a stack of comics. I gave them a look and holy guacamole the guy had some low grade Showcases #24-37 and some TTAs. I was like "You want $20 for these? He said "I'd love to have $30 but I'll take $20" I gave him $30. A few hours later he comes back and I am sure he wants his books back or something. He brings up a guy and says "This is my brother he wants to sell his too!" This guy had a bigger stack of E.C.s, TTAs, Brave and Bolds,JIMs, maybe 45 books lower grade but all nice to have. I ask how much he wants and he pulls out a Wizard guide the brakes went on for that deal pretty quick. I pointed out the general condition of his books were not NM and told him to search the internet and auction sites for real values rather than relying on Mr.Wizards prices. The whole time his brother sat there content with his $30. I still have most of those books.

As an example, I had a guy come in my flea market booth and said he needed $20 for a stack of comics. I gave them a look and holy guacamole the guy had some low grade Showcases #24-37 and some TTAs. I was like "You want $20 for these? He said "I'd love to have $30 but I'll take $20" I gave him $30. A few hours later he comes back and I am sure he wants his books back or something. He brings up a guy and says "This is my brother he wants to sell his too!" This guy had a bigger stack of E.C.s, TTAs, Brave and Bolds,JIMs, maybe 45 books lower grade but all nice to have. I ask how much he wants and he pulls out a Wizard guide the brakes went on for that deal pretty quick. I pointed out the general condition of his books were not NM and told him to search the internet and auction sites for real values rather than relying on Mr.Wizards prices. The whole time his brother sat there content with his $30. I still have most of those books.

Depending on how genuine the first guy seemed to me, I might have given him a lot more than $30, too.

Showcase #27 :cloud9:

I gave away a solid 8.0 as a raw back in 2001. Got a fair price, but should have slabbed it. :(

Which is for the most part a misconception. Joe Q with a stack of silver age and Joe Q with a stack of modern 90's ..both think they have a fortune in hand..Just because a price guide says it is worth cover price or more doesn't make it so.

There is no excuse in the year 2009 to not be able to type "www.google.com", then type "X-Men 1" then click "images" and compare what you have with what shows up.

There is no excuse in the year 2009 to not be able to type "Marvel Milestone Edition" and see what comes up.

No, this is just another person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed trying to pull a scam.

I just sent this turd-of-misery a e-mail telling him he has a $3.00 comic, and start doing some homework before putting ads on Craiglist trolling for suckers.

DRX

Let us know if/when he gets back to you and what his response is.

DRX

Let us know if/when he gets back to you and what his response is.

I'll take bets he wont get back to me. This guy knows exactly what hes got, and isnt going to answer anyone who calls him on it.

DRX