• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do some publishers use subpar material that causes problems?

2 posts in this topic

From what I understand Charlton is known for using the cheapest production methods possible. But I have gotten some independents lately and am wondering if they are doing the same thing too.

The books in question are Scary Godmother printed by Sirus. I have ordered one from the boards and the comic had very rusty staples visible at the centerfold with rust transfer to the page. I thought this was an isolated instance however, I just got a couple more of these from a different seller and all the issues have rusty staples except for one. Some of the issues it is not as evident but there is definitely the start of rust. You can see some brown on the paper forming just underneath the staple. The one that did not have any rust was a signed and numbered issue which looks to be unread.

These books are not even 10 years old. The paper stock and cover stock are of high quality, why would they skimp on the staples? I have stapled documents that are older than these that are are rust free. I do really love this series should I attempt to replace the staples myself? Is this a known problem with this company? Are their any other companies with this problem?

I am afraid if I leave them as is, the rust will migrate regardless of how the comics are stored. I appreciate any and all comments and feedback. I don't have a scanner but could take pics if you like but I don't think they will be easy to see the problem.