• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which defects do CGC punish more?

45 posts in this topic

In your opinion, which defects get hammered more than others in the grading process of books in the VF area? I find it harder to figure out the .5 grades than the .2 higher-grade level, presumably because I don't have many HG slabs.

I collect mainly in the VF area and finding it hard to determine their criteria for these books. Of the following, which flaws (in order) would hurt the grade more? I've listed my opinions in order (leaving out the obvious), but would love to hear from others on this.

1. CB spine ticks

2. Corner blunting

3. Minor spine roll

4. Light dust shadow

5. NCB indentations

I know there are more, but these are the main faults that come to mind, as I said, other than the blatantly obvious. Please also remember that I'm talking about books limited to the VF range.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. (thumbs u

Putting yours in order, I would go with this:

3. Minor spine roll

4. Light dust shadow

1. CB spine ticks

2. Corner blunting

5. NCB indentations

;)

I agree perhaps with the exception of the light dust shadow. Seems to me I've seen plenty of VFs with light dust shadow (and they weren't NM otherwise.) hm

3. Minor spine roll

4. Light dust shadow

1. CB spine ticks

2. Corner blunting

5. NCB indentations

;)

I agree perhaps with the exception of the light dust shadow. Seems to me I've seen plenty of VFs with light dust shadow (and they weren't NM otherwise.) hm

I agree. I would say the order is:

Minor spine roll

Corner blunting

CB spine ticks

light dust shadow

NCB indentations

The best thing about light dust shadows and NCB indentations is that they can often be removed or mitigated significantly with pressing and dry cleaning.

Oh, and I just said that last bit to pizz off divad. lol:banana:

3. Minor spine roll

4. Light dust shadow

1. CB spine ticks

2. Corner blunting

5. NCB indentations

;)

I guess dust shadows are a pet peeve of mine, as I have never seen one on any of my OO books, and I can't suffer the circumstances which lead to them . . . :grin: The only books that have them were improperly stored at some point in time.

The best thing about light dust shadows and NCB indentations is that they can often be removed or mitigated significantly with pressing and dry cleaning.

Oh, and I just said that last bit to pizz off divad. lol:banana:

:mad:

(:

Thanks for the input. Stains was one of the obvious ones I left out, and looking over my older and newer slabs I've noticed that CB spine flecks seem to be getting hammered more than before.

BTW, Scott...I haven't forgotten you. I'm just a poster boy for procrastination. I've been heard to say...why put off until tomorrow, what you can put off indefinitely?

I'll give you a call soon. (thumbs u

Just curious if you are talking about otherwise HG books getting hammered for CBC's?

9.0 type books getting 8.5 instead?

Thanks for the input. Stains was one of the obvious ones I left out, and looking over my older and newer slabs I've noticed that CB spine flecks seem to be getting hammered more than before.

BTW, Scott...I haven't forgotten you. I'm just a poster boy for procrastination. I've been heard to say...why put off until tomorrow, what you can put off indefinitely?

I'll give you a call soon. (thumbs u

No worries, Rich. I'm doing my best to keep off these 35 pounds I lost in the past 18 months, so as much as I'd love to rip into those sandwiches, I don't mind holding off for now either. lol

If I had to put a list together based on my personal experiences

1 - Stains

2 - Rusty Staples

3 - Tears

4 - CBC's

5 - Indentations

It really depends on how rusty the staples are. Slight staple rust is allowed in the NM- and NM grades.

1 - Stains

2 - Rusty Staples

3 - Tears

4 - CBC's

5 - Indentations

It really depends on how rusty the staples are. Slight staple rust is allowed in the NM- and NM grades.

I have to take a scan of a book that came back a 9.0. Looked every bit a 9.8 when I submitted it. Called for the notes and all it said was small amount of rust on interior of staple.

1 - Stains

2 - Rusty Staples

3 - Tears

4 - CBC's

5 - Indentations

I have to take a scan of a book that came back a 9.0. Looked every bit a 9.8 when I submitted it. Called for the notes and all it said was small amount of rust on interior of staple.

They may be inconsistent on that. I had a great looking ASM#63 that was a 9.4/9.6 that graded at 9.2 because of slight rust on the interior of the staples and an ink smudge on the front cover.

asm63-92.jpg

1 - Stains

2 - Rusty Staples

3 - Tears

4 - CBC's

5 - Indentations

Hey Joey, was it because the rusted staple was on the interior and had possibly migrated?

Just a guess, cause that does sound harsh.

1 - Stains

2 - Rusty Staples

3 - Tears

4 - CBC's

5 - Indentations

Hey Joey, was it because the rusted staple was on the interior and had possibly migrated?

Just a guess, cause that does sound harsh.

They did not say. I am planning on cracking it back out and giving it a look. Book is a $15 book as it sits so no big loss if I do.

They may be inconsistent on that. I had a great looking ASM#63 that was a 9.4/9.6 that graded at 9.2 because of slight rust on the interior of the staples and an ink smudge on the front cover.

Well, not really, I'm guessing that Joe's was a Modern and yours is an SA :grin:

:gossip: And btw, there is absolutely no reason to send in a book with "slight" staple rust :baiting: