• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM : Avengers 38 & 39

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a small write up on these books, needed to get your thoughts on the books grades, thanks again for everyones help, this forum has been a great help since I recently joined!

I picked up 4 books this week, the two Avengers I'm posting now, as well as two Capt America's (109, 110) from an OO collection I recently found (mostly complete runs of Avengers 20s-80, Spidey 40s - 90, C.America 100-120s, Daredevil 5-60s, X-Men 9-60s, JIM and Thors 100s - 180s, ToS 50s - 99, TtA 60's - 101, Dr Strange 169 - 183, Hulk 102 - 130s, Iron Man 1-30s).

As I slowly pick through and grab books (mostly hole-filling first), I'm more and more discouraged. The most prevalent issue that is consistent across the collection is the amount of tanning. From what I've learned, the books were stored in a garage for 20 or more years, and stored in brown cardboard boxes of all types, meaning less than ideal conditions. However the colors on the covers are outstanding, so bright and glossy, they are really fantastic to look at. Pages range from tan to ow (very rare ow-w)

Given this info (and the fact that I'm able to get most books between $15 and $30), whats everyones opinion, should I run screaming from this level of tanning, or accept that they are aged and enjoy them for what they are? To be honest, I'm on the fence, I usually stay away from browning, but I'm unusually attached to these because its a collection I found.

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01871.jpg

Damage to the back top edge of the book, looks to have occurred before tanning as it affects the page and cover equally...

DSC01865.jpg

DSC01868-1.jpg

typical interior tanning

DSC01869.jpg

DSC01870.jpg

this is why I love this site, thanks for everyone's comments, I really do appreciate you all taking the time to give your opinions. Its seems like everyone is in agreement, steer clear of the remainder of the collection. I guess I knew this myself, but was letting a little collector passion cloud what should have been an easy decision.

Too bad :(