• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

better legs - iron fist #14 or TOD#10

30 posts in this topic

both of these books come under fire for being "false" keys, but both keep selling really well, so the general comic buying public doesn't see them that way. I see TOD#10 as a pretty good book actually, and with a smaller than superhero print run seems like it may keep its key status. For the life of me, i could not understand why IF#14 keeps keeping on since sabretooth has been removed from wolverine's lineage. Unless his movie appearance has stayed in people's minds more than i would have expected?

TOD #10 is, by far, the better book. Blade has higher 'cross-over' appeal, as he is the main character of 2 movies w/ a 3rd to be released later this year. There is also (possibly) more appeal to horror/vampire fans that are not comic collectors (not really sure about this statement - Maybe Pov could shed some light on this? Are there horror/monster collectors out there that occassionally buy comics?).

Oh yeah, and Sabretooth is a lame character to begin with....

Chris

i too think sabretooth is done, but why does it keep selling for so damn much!

A couple reasons that I can think of are:

-Wolverine's "#1 Foe"

-Possible Wolverine Solo movie

-Marvel could always re-establish the Wolvie/Sabretooth connection

-Possible Iron Fist movie

Still, a book that's way over-priced and over-rated.

Chris

yes, there are horror fans who just buy comics that fit in with their interests. Its sort of a "Cool" thing. i too think sabretooth is done, but why does it keep selling for so damn much!

I think some of it has to do with it's considered a valuable "key" comic and no one is willing to move the price down. Also, collectors still look at it as a "key" book for no other reason than someone says it's key. There really no reason character-wise for the book to sell for hundreds of dollars (35 cent variant excluded) after the Wolverine connection went bust. And even when it was relevant, it sky-rocketed too high too fast, IMO....

Jim

i don't know about the "no one is willing to move the price down" angle because in an open forum like ebay, any consortium of dealers goes out the window. Recently a raw VF+ sold for over $100. Thats pretty incredible considering the weakness of sales of raw ebay books & vf books especially on ebay. Obviously the collectors are willing to pay that much. At this point raw IF#14's still outsell raw tod#10's confused-smiley-013.gif

i don't know about the "no one is willing to move the price down" angle because in an open forum like ebay, any consortium of dealers goes out the window. Recently a raw VF+ sold for over $100. Thats pretty incredible considering the weakness of sales of raw ebay books & vf books especially on ebay. Obviously the collectors are willing to pay that much. At this point raw IF#14's still outsell raw tod#10's confused-smiley-013.gif

Valid point.....But the question is why does it sell for a premium? I can't come up with any rational reason other than the "key" for the sake of "key" argument.

Heck, the character hasn't even actively appeared in recent comics to generate new interest.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

THis book sells for that much because so many people have said it should for so long. Wizard and OS have always called this a hot book, and everyone just takes their word for it. Sabretooth isn't much of a villain and is even less of a hero. They've tried him both ways and he still just kinda lingers. This book (and the character) happened to become hot during the perfect time (mid eighties to early 90s). When the crash hit, it stayed away from the "older" books as they were more established. GSX1, X94, and other books of the age all held their own, so this book did too. Problem is all the other books really are keys whereas this is a minor key (at best). It was overhyped at just the right time by the right people, and just stayed their. It has nothing to do with the Iron Fist movie because if that movie was generating that type of hype, my 9.2 Marvel Premiere 15 would be a 500 dollar book right now. It has nothing to do with the X movies because Sabretooth is about the 5th best villain thus far (Magneto, Mystique, the Senator, Lady D, and even Toad have all upstaged him). It sells for that price because people are just used to calling it a key book. It has nowhere to go but down. If I had one in HG now, I'd sell and pick up some real keys like Spotlight 5, Premiere 15, and even some ungraded NM Wolverine mini 1s (9.8s sell for close to $300, and 9.8 quality can be had ungraded for $35 to $50)

I am biased of course since horror is my "thing"--TOD #10 mainly because of the Blade movies (and he is nowehere similar to the 70's introduction). I would even say that he is popular in spite of any regular appearances--he hasn't been "worn thin" with exposure. If anything the movies have "recreated" him for a new generation.

I am also of the opinion that horror as an entertainment niche will come back--as Drac and company come in and out of hollywood. That could make TOD#10 (horror issues in general) go up. But I'm not going to bet on it.

Of course, in 20 years from now, what will we say? Or who will even care? (unless there are "Blade"/X-men remakes for the next generation).

Sadly, I think the IF# 14 has more long term value... as near as I can remember, IF# 14 has been a fairly sought after book... probably from the early 90s to mid 90s onward. In the comic world, the X-Men are kings, and the first appearance of one of Wolverine's chief rivals is going to bring in the bucks...

Personally, I like the whole Tomb of Drac run much better and would agree with the sentiment that IF# 14 is overvalued.

I like ToD 10 in this match up as well. Movie popularity and a comic series could more easily be developed around Blade then Sabretooth. I don't think either one of them should be worth more than they currently go for. I couldn't imagine justifying why a ToD 10 9.4 went for anything above 400 dollars.

Brian

tough question to pick between these books. the problem (at least the short term ten years or so) is going to be cross over hype. blade 2 was not as well recieved as blade 1 and like all sequels blade 3 should be a bit less again. if they pound this franchise into the ground as they like to do, then it will suffer. the only up side for IF 14 is that sabretooth was such a lame character in the xmen movie that the only place he can go is up. that is if he is even in any subsequent movies (such as a wolverine flick). but they would absolutely need a new actor to play him as tyler mane is the worst. once the blade movie franchise is done.. then tod#10 is going to be nowhere near as popular. at least IF 14 has the possibility of sabretooth regaining his place as the arch foe of one of the most popular marvel characters. with or without movie hype. all they need to do is stir up a bit more of logans past and sabretooth gets hot again. gotta go with IF 14 on this one... but it is kind of close.