• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GI JOE #21,..Still worth slabbing?

77 posts in this topic

I think you should have it graded. All the sales of this book at a 9.8 have been for over 2k so far. Even if more 9.8 copies exist and are listed, a sale price will still be high if your book gets this grade. I do agree that more are probably coming, but look at the number of people willing to pay for this book; there's a market for it. 15 copies of a key copper age comic is still not very many. It's not just GI Joe collectors who want this book. And if you get a 9.6 or 9.4 have it signed by Hama or Parks and you'd have a cool keepsake!

Joe 21 in high grade will always be hard to find. I gave up on CGC after 3 submissions and they all came back 9.2, 9.4, 9.4.

They got a hard on for this book I think. What are there finally 3 copies in 9.8 now?

It is difficult to find in high grade, but I think CGC just was making a point on this book for years.

I think you missed the previous page before this.

There are now FIFTEEN CGC 9.8's and over EIGHTY CGC 9.6 copies. So 2009 brought out more high-grade copies that supposedly didn't exist.

I bet we will see many more, which will be interesting.

Yeah I didnt see that. That is amazing considering for years there wasnt a 9.8 and only like 3 9.6s. So is it the law of averages or the right people submitting I often wonder that.

Yeah I didnt see that. That is amazing considering for years there wasnt a 9.8 and only like 3 9.6s. So is it the law of averages or the right people submitting I often wonder that.

Still a great book to submit if you can get a 9.4 or better grade, but I sure wouldn't classify this as rare as many sellers state.

Give it another year and let's see what the count is. With all the collections that came out of storage so people could scrape by (still breaks my heart), I wouldn't be surprised if some of these hoards turn up in high grade.

Just, fer God's sake, don't have Ray Park sign it. doh!

That kidding around, or does he do Stan Lee signatures?

No, I just think the idea of him signing any of the original G.I. Joe books is a little ludicrous.

Just, fer God's sake, don't have Ray Park sign it. doh!

That kidding around, or does he do Stan Lee signatures?

No, I just think the idea of him signing any of the original G.I. Joe books is a little ludicrous.

I, very respectfully, disagree. It looks like I am in the minority around here, lately. I have no problem with anyone getting any book signed by someone that has played a character from the comic on the big or small screen. That's probably my favorite kind of SS to get. I really want Peter Weller on my Robocop #1. :cry: Obviously, to each, their own, collect what you like, your mileage may vary. . .

Yes, but see, Robocop the film preceded the comic book. If the book is based upon the work of the actor in his/her role in the film, I see no reason to NOT get that actor's signature on the comic.

If the book precedes (or in this case, FARRRRR precedes) the film, I just don't see the allure of getting the actor's sig.

I've talked about this ad nauseum the past few weeks, but it boils down to do what you want to your books. Whatever makes you happy, do it. Just don't assume that by adding the actor's sig, you are increasing the book's value in everyone's eyes.

Just don't assume that by adding the actor's sig, you are increasing the book's value in everyone's eyes.

This, I agree with 100% (thumbs u

There are much better ways to improve the value of your book than adding a celeb sig. I have always been obsessed with comics-tv and comics-movies crossovers, so I am probably not the one to listen to. Particularly those who are concerned about the $ value of your books. lol

Ps: I would have Robert Downey, Jr sign an Iron Man #1 or a TOS 39, but I would not have Adam West sign a vintage high Dollar Batman book, or have Nicholas Cage sign a GR 1 or MS 5. It's weird how it manifests itself. I think it relates to how much I enjoyed the performance of the actor.

Yes, but see, Robocop the film preceded the comic book. If the book is based upon the work of the actor in his/her role in the film, I see no reason to NOT get that actor's signature on the comic.

If the book precedes (or in this case, FARRRRR precedes) the film, I just don't see the allure of getting the actor's sig.

I've talked about this ad nauseum the past few weeks, but it boils down to do what you want to your books. Whatever makes you happy, do it. Just don't assume that by adding the actor's sig, you are increasing the book's value in everyone's eyes.

Once again, you make so much sense TJ.

I totally agree with your logic that if it is someone that made a character famous before appearing in comics, the signature makes more sense!

Once again, you make so much sense TJ.

I totally agree with your logic that if it is someone that made a character famous before appearing in comics, the signature makes more sense!

:acclaim:

I will take that as a proclamation that Sean is wrong and, furthermore, a doodie head.

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, though tied to thee, thou damned Nick and TJ!

With deepest apologies to Herman Melville.